Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 05:24 PM

22 posts, read 86,260 times

Advertisements

thank you again. I enjoy reading everyones opinion and information. I guess it couldn't possibly be worse than south florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2006, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 13,900 times
Default Just came back from Mooresville

Hello, I am from South Florida also and we're leaving next month. We loved Mooresville. It's nothing like here! A lot less crowded... If you're looking to buy a house I would love to give you a BEWARE on a house that we just had a contract on in Mooresville, did the inspection and found a lot of things wrong. The seller didn't want to fix them and was just going to place the house back on the market. Email me if you'd like the info on this house. lynnpridgen01@bellsouth.net

Old 05-11-2006, 06:06 PM

11 posts, read 27,892 times
My girlfriend and I are moving to NC from Sacramento. We are very excited as we leave Ca. next FRIDAY! I am attending the NASCAR Technical Institute in Mooresville (pretty cool at age 49). We traveled to the Lake Norman area last month for housing and visited every single town/city north of Charlotte, including Hickory and Concord. We finally bought a house in Statesville, although it seems closer to Troutman. We are 4.5 miles from town and got almost an acre and a 2300 sg.ft. home from under 230K. There is NO WAY you can get anything like that in Ca. Mooresville was our original choice but HWY 150 through the town is a nightmare! It is just like living in Ca. The town is nice and all the Nascar teams are there and the schools are great but it's just to busy. Hickory became our next choice but it is a little bit further away than we wanted to be from Mooresville and Charlotte. So we ended up in the country where we wanted to be anyway.

I don't think that you can go wrong anywhere near Mooresville. Heck we even saw a live country/western concert in the parking lot of WalMart in Mooresville while we were visiting.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:16 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,088,279 times
coachpearson,

I know about that concert. I was actually in Walmart right before it started. Small world.

Well Mooresville has alot of nice things, alot of new stuff, theatre is new, all the stores off of 150 are new. Oh, you know right beside Super Target they are building another "Birkdale" type of village like they have in Huntersville?
Imagine the traffic once that is built. That is off of a 2 lane road too! That is exactly what Im talking about with the infrastructure not keeping up.

Mooresville is very lively, but after 10pm or so if your not catching a late movie then 'off to bed with you' is about your only option.

I think there is some hope still with all the northerners coming here. I was in Mooresville last weekend and saw a SUV with New Jersey plates on it. I was delighted to hear him jamming to Tim McGraws " Indian Outlaw"!

Its also not uncommon to hear the NASCAR race on Sunday blaring from someones car radio rather than music.

Old 05-11-2006, 10:37 PM

carolina native,

Yes, Moooresville is growing very quickly! I can see the influence from outside of the area. We visited last October to visit NTI and take in the Cup race at Charlotte. Funny, it seemed a lot busier in April and it wasn't a race weekend. I tend to think that the I-77 area will continue to grow and move up north into Statesville. The same thing seems to be happening on the west side of Lake Norman with HWY 16 being widened from Gastonia towards Hickory. The nice thing is that it is not that far of a trip to get away from it all.

The area is still very beautiful, has lots of racing (saw a race way up at Tri-County Speedway-they sure take their racing seriously!) and there is a huge variety of recreational activities.

By the way, that was a fun concert. I went and bought Jeff Bates CD after that. I hope to meet some "Good People" out there come next week!

Old 05-12-2006, 11:14 AM

889 posts, read 3,120,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPearson
My girlfriend and I are moving to NC from Sacramento. We are very excited as we leave Ca. next FRIDAY! I am attending the NASCAR Technical Institute in Mooresville (pretty cool at age 49). We traveled to the Lake Norman area last month for housing and visited every single town/city north of Charlotte, including Hickory and Concord. We finally bought a house in Statesville, although it seems closer to Troutman. We are 4.5 miles from town and got almost an acre and a 2300 sg.ft. home from under 230K. There is NO WAY you can get anything like that in Ca. Mooresville was our original choice but HWY 150 through the town is a nightmare! It is just like living in Ca. The town is nice and all the Nascar teams are there and the schools are great but it's just to busy. Hickory became our next choice but it is a little bit further away than we wanted to be from Mooresville and Charlotte. So we ended up in the country where we wanted to be anyway.

I don't think that you can go wrong anywhere near Mooresville. Heck we even saw a live country/western concert in the parking lot of WalMart in Mooresville while we were visiting.
We are leaving on June 15th heading to the same town. My son went to Nascar Tech. when it first opened and now has a job at Pit Instruction and Training. He loves it there and we just bought there too.
We are also from Calif.
Sounds like similar stories!!!

Old 05-12-2006, 01:36 PM

272 posts, read 1,002,317 times
ncbound...I feel your pain. We are planning on leaving No. Florida (Jax), and are going to visit the area next week...WE CAN'T WAIT. Schools in FL are so bad, we have decided to send our child to private school, so hearing the woes about the CMS district isn't too upsetting to us.

Does anyone know anything about Mecklenburg Area Catholic Schools?
I visited their website, and they seems to be ok.

I will post more when we turn from our trip and let everyone know how things turned out.

BTW, thanks to all the 'locals' who have been very informative and extremely helpful with our questions. Relocating to an area you know not much about is very stressful, and your guidance has helped tremendously!

Old 05-12-2006, 03:08 PM

Default TO Mvn2nc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc
We are leaving on June 15th heading to the same town. My son went to Nascar Tech. when it first opened and now has a job at Pit Instruction and Training. He loves it there and we just bought there too.
We are also from Calif.
Sounds like similar stories!!!
What programs did your son participate in at NTI? What is his job at Pit Instruction and Training? Did he ever try to get on with a team? I'm planning on taking the Ford F.A.C.T. program as well. I hear that it is very demanding!

What part of Ca. are you from?

Old 05-12-2006, 10:25 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,836,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachPearson

What did you want to do after you attend the institute? My husband and I went through all the race shops last time we were out. My niece and her husband work for Woods Brothers racing. She is Fatback's assistant and her husband drive's the truck series hauler. He got to go over the wall at Martinsville as the catch can man. My husband just turned 50 and I told him he should attend the institute that's why I asked. Cars are his passion.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
What did you want to do after you attend the institute? My husband and I went through all the race shops last time we were out. My niece and her husband work for Woods Brothers racing. She is Fatback's assistant and her husband drive's the truck series hauler. He got to go over the wall at Martinsville as the catch can man. My husband just turned 50 and I told him he should attend the institute that's why I asked. Cars are his passion.
I worked in high schools for the last 25 years and was a head wrestling coach, so this is quite a change for me. My girlfriend and I ran a stock car team out here where kids from the school were involved in EVERY aspect of the team. I would love to get picked up by one of the big teams out there and work in the shop during the week and do our own racing thing on weekends. We would like to involved students like we did out here in Ca. There is always working for a dealership and then go racing, or even open up our own repair shop.

The way I see it, the opportunities are endless!! I just turned 49....he should go for it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte