Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 05:55 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,945 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were talking with a young woman who lives in Charlotte, who's about 23, with a young child. Her situation is that she would like to go to school, but a) cannot afford school b) is working a service level job c) her child is very young and has medical needs (asthma) and probably the most detrimental aspect of her situation is the lack of her support system. Typically the family support system would help out and pick up the slack in cases like this, but she really doesn't have a reliable support system (and her immediate siblings are not the people she really should be around nor should her child).

So her you have a young woman, who is really trying to do the right thing, and wants to improve her situation and environment for herself and her child, but is literally squeezed. She gets "offers" from men (I don't need to go into anymore detail), she is a member of a church (which helps with food stamps, etc.), but she really is trying to live a honorable life. She's tried collect child support, which isn't working, and applying for medicade, etc- but she's running into a lot of road blocks.

We really could see the despair in her face as she struggles to keep her head up. Over the years, we've done a lot of work with various programs in Boston for women in this situation, such as welfare to work, after school programs, etc. However we don't know anything about what may be available, either at a public level, faith based programs, or other non-profit entities.

Ideally if she could get day care so she could attend school, that would dramatically improve her chances of moving forward.

Anyway, does anyone out there have any thoughts on this, and what might be available to her (please keep your comments strictly on topic and not "lecture" based or "how your tax dollars are being wasted").

Thanks.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 07:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
I don't know what she may qualify for but there are job training programs available thru/ CPCC. There may even be childcare vouchers available.

There is also a commission on women here. I will try to find a link and come back and post it, in case this may be of help/leads.

People who are trying to put their lives together deserve assistance from the community. She and her child can become contributing members of society and then give back to their community if they receive help now. I am all for giving struggling people a "hand up" . . . I think most people only get upset when they feel the hand up is actually a hand out - and the recipient is insincere and only gaming the system. Sounds like this young woman just needs some guidance and support.

I will see if I can find a link . . . and Miker, you and your wife are good people for caring enuff to get involved. It would be a lot easier to just turn your head and walk away.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
See if this group can help or at least give direction as to where to go for help:

Women's Commission (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Womens+Commission/Home.htm - broken link)

Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't know what she may qualify for but there are job training programs available thru/ CPCC. There may even be childcare vouchers available.

There is also a commission on women here. I will try to find a link and come back and post it, in case this may be of help/leads.

People who are trying to put their lives together deserve assistance from the community. She and her child can become contributing members of society and then give back to their community if they receive help now. I am all for giving struggling people a "hand up" . . . I think most people only get upset when they feel the hand up is actually a hand out - and the recipient is insincere and only gaming the system. Sounds like this young woman just needs some guidance and support.

I will see if I can find a link . . . and Miker, you and your wife are good people for caring enuff to get involved. It would be a lot easier to just turn your head and walk away.
I had a feeling you would be the first to respond! Thank You!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:37 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,087,911 times
She sounds as if she would qualify for FAFSA...federal aid for continuing education.
Totally free grants that you don't repay.
Daycare assistance through the Social Services...
She should have no roadblocks trying to get Medicaid for her son....also Food Stamps...
She should (if she hasn't already) sign up with the Child Support Enforcement Agency to collect her CS....they will take care of everything for her....even taking the guy to court, and most of the time the custodial parent doesn't even have to attend.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:54 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,151,804 times
Child Care Resources 4601 Park Road Charlotte, NC 704.376.6697, provides subsidized Day Care. They assign social workers and case managers to work with clients. She could contact the Financial Aid Office at CPCC or whatever school she is interested in and ask about a PELL Grant and check into their Work Study Program. For Medicaid and Food Stamps she should go to the Department of Social Services on Billingsley Road. If she isn't receiving help from the child's father she would most likely qualify for TANF. (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.) For assistance with Housing...The Charlotte Housing Authority.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:58 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,804,156 times
I don't have any resources to share but I wanted to say how wonderful I think it is that you and your wife are trying to help this young woman!!

You are good people!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Thank You to everyone that responded here and via Mail. This info was extremely helpful and I believe she's now on the right track and has some options for most of her immediate issues. The goal is to create fishermen. I even showed her the thread- needless to say, she was impressed that anyone would care enough to respond.

Thank You!

Sincerely,

Mike

Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,906,455 times
Miker - there are a lot of people who recognize that what you and your family are doing is such a selfless cause. A good deed does not go unnoticed and the even better result is that it brings out the best in people. Godspeed and rep to you!

Old 05-15-2008, 02:30 AM

118 posts, read 444,922 times
Mike, was she able to get any help from social service? Sometimes it seems as though the system is so screwie. I was just curious what the road blocks were? It seems as though some that need the help can't get it, and those that take advantage gets everything. Especially bothers me when Senoir Citizens need the help and can't get it. Just keep us posted on how things are working out for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte