Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 11:09 AM

29 posts, read 27,555 times

Advertisements

Hi! Sorry, another relocation post! My husband and I may be relocating to Charlotte for his job in the (hopefully) near future and are trying to research on the best areas to live. We are currently living in Las Vegas although we are originally from VA and will be happy to be back closer to our family in VA!

We are in our early 30's, currently have 2 dogs and will be starting a family soon so will have to look for an area with good schools. My husband's job will likely be in the Uptown area so want to keep the commute relatively easy. We ultimately want to buy a house but will most likely rent for the first 6 months-year to get a better feel for the city. Budget for renting a house will be under $2k and for buying probably around $500k or less. We would also prefer new construction or newer homes if there are any good areas that are currently building! After just briefly looking, we really like the Chapel Cove new construction homes in Steele Creek...Is that an area worth looking into?

If anyone can suggest a few good neighborhoods for us to start looking into, I would appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 12:28 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,726,469 times
Welcome to Charlotte!

What is a relatively easy commute to you? Expect at least 45 minutes, sometimes 1 hour, evening rush hour commutes to the Chapel Cove area for example in heavy south-bound traffic out of Uptown.

Also... Chapel Cove is relatively close to the airport. When the airport is in a southern departures flow, that area will have heavy flight noise from planes that are not that high up and reeving their engines to climb higher. Charlotte-Douglas is a major airline hub with over 750 departures per day so you can expect an aircraft every 2 minutes during America Airlines 9 departure banks. The flights that go over Chapel Cove are heading to the south and west. They take off and then turn to the right over Chapel Cove and head toward Florida or make a U-Turn to head west. You'll want to pull some noise and flight maps to check home many of the southern departures go over Chapel Cove exactly.

Last edited by CLT4; 04-24-2020 at 12:44 PM..

Old 04-24-2020, 03:40 PM

29 posts, read 27,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Welcome to Charlotte!

What is a relatively easy commute to you? Expect at least 45 minutes, sometimes 1 hour, evening rush hour commutes to the Chapel Cove area for example in heavy south-bound traffic out of Uptown.

Also... Chapel Cove is relatively close to the airport. When the airport is in a southern departures flow, that area will have heavy flight noise from planes that are not that high up and reeving their engines to climb higher. Charlotte-Douglas is a major airline hub with over 750 departures per day so you can expect an aircraft every 2 minutes during America Airlines 9 departure banks. The flights that go over Chapel Cove are heading to the south and west. They take off and then turn to the right over Chapel Cove and head toward Florida or make a U-Turn to head west. You'll want to pull some noise and flight maps to check home many of the southern departures go over Chapel Cove exactly.
Wow, 45min - an hour may be a bit much! We are looking to keep the commute under 30 minutes. We lived in Houston before too and never want to deal with traffic/commutes like that again!

I don't think being near the airport would be an issue for us. We have lived in a few big cities (Las Vegas, Phoenix and Houston) and lived about 10-15 minutes from the airport in each city and never had a problem with the noise. Thanks for the input! Hopefully we can find more options that would fit our needs!

Old 04-24-2020, 06:15 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,757,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post
Wow, 45min - an hour may be a bit much! We are looking to keep the commute under 30 minutes. We lived in Houston before too and never want to deal with traffic/commutes like that again!

I don't think being near the airport would be an issue for us. We have lived in a few big cities (Las Vegas, Phoenix and Houston) and lived about 10-15 minutes from the airport in each city and never had a problem with the noise. Thanks for the input! Hopefully we can find more options that would fit our needs!

You could look in Belmont and Cramerton. If you search in your price range on a website like realtor.com it will bring up some neighborhoods that are south of US 74 aka Wilkinson Blvd., which will add some time to the commute, which won't be bad, traffic-wise.

Old 04-24-2020, 07:38 PM

335 posts, read 432,128 times
Southbound is right, Belmont, Cramerton, Mount Holly would be some nice smaller areas to check out without having a horrible commute. Schools are hit or miss through there so do your homework. Same for the other side of Charlotte over in Harrisburg, it’s growing quickly and the schools are good in some of those areas in Harrisburg. Mint Hill is a nice suburb to the southeast, growing quickly with a lot of new neighborhoods. Schools are hit or miss. Really the best public schools within 30 minutes of uptown would be south Charlotte but new single family homes under $500k are slim. Townhomes are popping up all over south Charlotte though if you’re open to it. That’s also the safest areas of the city. I live in south Charlotte around Providence and 485, at 6:30 am it takes me 30 minutes to get to my office. At 7:00 it takes 45 minutes. If I can leave before 4:00 to get home it’s 30 minutes.
Rea Farms down by me has new homes that are walkable to restaurants and shops and the grocery. Charndon Village over in the Stonehaven neighborhood has some homes under $500k once in a while and they’re fairly new and a really nice area. Eden Hall in Matthews is close to downtown Matthews, a great suburb for a new family to call home as well.

Old 04-25-2020, 05:41 AM

16,773 posts, read 8,246,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post
Hi! Sorry, another relocation post! My husband and I may be relocating to Charlotte for his job in the (hopefully) near future and are trying to research on the best areas to live. We are currently living in Las Vegas although we are originally from VA and will be happy to be back closer to our family in VA!

We are in our early 30's, currently have 2 dogs and will be starting a family soon so will have to look for an area with good schools. My husband's job will likely be in the Uptown area so want to keep the commute relatively easy. We ultimately want to buy a house but will most likely rent for the first 6 months-year to get a better feel for the city. Budget for renting a house will be under $2k and for buying probably around $500k or less. We would also prefer new construction or newer homes if there are any good areas that are currently building! After just briefly looking, we really like the Chapel Cove new construction homes in Steele Creek...Is that an area worth looking into?

If anyone can suggest a few good neighborhoods for us to start looking into, I would appreciate it!!
Yes, my daughter lives in the area. It's a nice area.
Some roads are being worked on. The area near 485 (exit 4) is being built up with shopping, apts. and a hotel.

The future should be wider roads going from 2 lanes to 4.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:55 PM

615 posts, read 542,879 times
Look at Concord and Harrisburg in Cabarrus County. New subdivisions are being built under $500k and the commute to downtown is 30 minutes or so. If you have kids, the schools are good. The neighborhoods are safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte