Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:02 AM

930 posts, read 2,160,871 times

Advertisements

We are being transferred to the Monroe area in June. I am originally from WV, but have lived in FL for the past 22 years. I don't remember the places that we used to go as children on vacations. I am looking for fun, educational things for my children and my husband. My husband is a native Floridian and he hasn't experienced the things that I have. For instance, I know that the USS NC is in Wilmington, I plan to take them there. The SS Yorktown, a sistership to a ship my dad was on in the navy, is in Charleston, SC. They have to go to these places whether they want to or not. LOL I know there are museums in Charlotte. I think my husband would be interested in battlefields, etc. Any suggestions for day trips or weekend trips would be appreciated. I have talked about all of the things I did growing up so much, that we are anxious to give our children the same types of experiences, and I know there is a lot of history in the carolinas. Once again, if anyone can help me thank you in advance. Oh, my boys are 5 and 10 and very much interested in history and science.

Terri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:42 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,424,271 times
I would not recommend the USS NC for children under 12...almost every child I have seen has been bored and parents say the same thing. Besides, that is nearly 4 hours away. Closer to Charlotte we have all kinds of things for Children, including and especially DISCOVERY PLACE | igniting wonder since 1981 | CHARLOTTE NATURE MUSEUM | IMAX | Discovery Place with the Charlotte Observer IMAX Dome Theater and the Charlotte Nature Musuem are the things to do in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. Visit the Discover and Children's Theatre uptown. There are a lot of other places too around, like Historic Brattonsville nearby in SC (The Patriot was filmed here).

Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,211,245 times
You also might take a look at this thread for ideas

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...laces-see.html

Old 04-15-2008, 03:19 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I will make sure that my dad is with us whenever we visit the ships. He lived on them for years and has a way of making it very interesting. We don't follow the usual tour signs. I think I was about 10 and female when he took me and I loved it.

The Discovery place was already on our list. We went to the Catawba Science Center a couple of months ago and was just waiting to move to explore the others.

Thank you for the link: I copied it for later. Sounds like a lot of things we are looking for.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:36 PM

392 posts, read 1,183,685 times
Hi, you have received some great advice. Just wanted to say welcome... Sounds like we've had parallel life... I am orig. from WV, lived in FL about for almost 20 years, and DH is almost FL native (since age of 4). We used to vacation in the Carolinas, too and I attended a year of college here. Again, welcome and best wishes.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
This is how I spent my childhood here, and also have taken my son to almost all of these sites.

Civil War battlefields:
nccivilwar :: nc civil war sites

Revolutionary War battlefields (and other memorials of interest)
North Carolina Historic Sites

National Cemetery, Salisbury:
Cemeteries - Salisbury National Cemetery - Burial & Memorials

Old 04-15-2008, 07:15 PM

Thanks everyone for the info and the welcome. I am getting excited about the move.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:05 AM

94 posts, read 356,364 times
A few other suggestions for local day trips that the family might enjoy: The North Carolina Transportation Museum (more amusing than the title lets on, with trains to explore and ride on, etc.), Old Salem, check out the NC State Historic Sites webpage (there are 22 sites across the state), Kings Mountain, Camden, SC is great fun in September when they have the big Rev War re-enactment weekend, you might also take a look at the Historic Charlotte website for ideas more central to the Charlotte area. Have fun exploring the region's history!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:05 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,782,531 times
If you are going to Charleston try Fort Sumter, nice boat ride to the fort and Magnolia Plantaion and Gardens. Also try the carriage rides in down town Charleston. These are things that may keep your kids interest while learning.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:58 AM

Thank you everyone, I am keeping a list. My husband was reading this and he is ready to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte