Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM

40 posts, read 146,451 times

Advertisements

Looking for differences in these 3 areas. I am relocating from New York City. I'm open to all 3. I have 2 small children. 1 in 2nd grade, 1 in Kindergarden. We are Jewish and would like to move relatively close to the reformed temple that we heard such wonderful things about. Input would be terrific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:28 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Jayzz View Post
Looking for differences in these 3 areas. I am relocating from New York City. I'm open to all 3. I have 2 small children. 1 in 2nd grade, 1 in Kindergarden. We are Jewish and would like to move relatively close to the reformed temple that we heard such wonderful things about. Input would be terrific.
hmmm...differences? There are more similarities, but here goes.

Myers Park is an intown neighborhood, very close to uptown, very old and well established. A decent sized home is hard to find there now under $800,000, and most are in the millions.

The Providence Rd area just extends away from Myers Park - also very established and beautiful, but the farther away from town you go the more you can find more "affordable" homes down to the $300,000's. This area is also the closest to the JCC since the JCC actually sits off of Providence Rd.

Ballantyne - a well planned, modern, new community with many great neighborhoods. It offers the worst commute to uptown of the three because it is at the county's southernmost end.

All 3 have a lot going for them and are desirable places to live.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:39 AM

195 posts, read 538,873 times
■ Myers Park Myers Park, an area with old Southern estates and streets lined with towering oaks, is know by Charlotteans as one of the city’s most prestigious and desirable addresses. Once a treeless farmland, renowned city planner John Nolen of Boston transformed the area into a sophisticated suburbia in 1911. The neighborhood resides along the grassy medians and curving drives of Queens Road.
■ Ballantyne The Ballantyne community, a planned mixed–use-development southeast of Pineville, is just a short drive from Center City Charlotte, Charlotte Douglas International Airport and sophisticated South Park. One of the area’s most appealing attributes is the Ballantyne Resort & Spa, a luxury destination for golf and relaxation.

Borrowed the above from my website, but Loves pretty much nailed it. Myers park will get you the closest to JCC and Uptown.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 AM

797 posts, read 3,296,939 times
Really depends on how much you can afford for a house. Myers Park is very expensive. This area is very old and has historic houses. Ballantyne is very new, chic, upscale in a diff. kind of way. I'd say a good in between to the temple would be living in the Southpark/ Fairview area since the JCC is off Providence. I'm a native and grew up in that area and went to school with a ton of Jewish kids at public school. I'd say half my friends were Jewish. So it's a nice size Jewish community in Charlotte. I am not Jewish but always went to the JCC when I was younger w/ my friends. It's a very nice place.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:14 AM

6 posts, read 14,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Jayzz View Post

Others have done a fantastic job describing the type of neighborhoods and prices, but I would ask you to consider where you plan to work. If from home, live in any of the three, but traffic moving toward 77 on 485 from Ballantyne in the AM is almost like Atlanta or Orlando in rush hour (although not quite).

Traffic from the southern end of Providence (near or beyond Charlotte Latin school) moving uptown is also congested in the AM. Ideally, you would want to travel in the opposite directions from 6:30 to 8:30 AM, or be near the area where you will work. The older established homes on Queens Rd do have babies in some of them, but the spaced houses and busy streets are not inviting for children's neighborhood romps. For that sort of thing, you might look hard at the established neighborhoods off of Sharon Road in South Park, especially just north of the mall, between Sharon and Providence. The Temple and Uptown Charlotte are both only minutes away.

Shalom.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:12 PM

10 posts, read 70,705 times
We are jewish and lived in Eastover while our kids grew up - it is one of the best neighborhoods and near everything. It is next to Myers Park between JCC and Uptown.

Homes from $700,000 - $5mil.

Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 05-17-2008 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: no soliciting permitted

Old 05-17-2008, 09:51 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,393,830 times
we live near ballantyne, my dd attends the charlotte jewish day school located on the JCC campus and it takes me 20-25 min in the morning and even less on the way back more like 15-20 minutes...as I do it EVERY day of the week, I can tell u its not a bad commute...my neighbor travels uptown everyday from here and it takes him 50 min in the morning and about the same coming home...dh was doing it 1x a week as well and it was taking him the same...there are so many more jewish people moving here alot of them are looking in the Ballantyne/Union County where we live area...again it depends what u want to spend and what type of neighborhood you are looking for

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte