Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 09:37 AM

26 posts, read 32,279 times

Advertisements

Hello all-

I followed my son and his family to North Carolina. I love it here living with them in Birkdale, due to the grandbabies, 1 & 3, and just found a lovely church family. Bluegrass & BBQ are favorites of mine and my parents were from the south so feel at home. Beautiful home, nice neighbors, convenient to everything. Hate the traffic after 30 years working in Silicon Valley. Highlight - grandbabies Lowlight - traffic

Originally grew up during best years 1950s & 1960s Of California, wouldnt go back for a million dollars because it wouldnt be enough. Loved the weather. Highlight - Number of days enjoyed outside Lowlight - Cost of living.

Moved to Oregon for 10 years before coming here. Loved the natural beauty. Lived a California millionaires lifestyle there, small town 1500 pop. No waiting in line at bank or post office, library was quiet. No traffic to speak of. Safer. Mountain views for 360 degrees. Mild winters, was at about 1500 ft. All four seasons were beautiful. Went to local bluegrass, gospel jams/performances every week and southern gospel groups when they came around which wasnt very often unfortunately. Highlight - Beauty Lowlight - so far away now.

I will be looking for my own place later this year. I know I would prefer to stay as near the kids as possible. I want a little house with a little land around it. No packed together condo, townhome, cabins for me. All I need is a good internet, grocery store, library and in my dreams a view and a great church. I would love a small mountain town with good medical services within a 15 minute drive.

OK thats my challenge. I only have 130k cash and a fixed income. Does such a cute little town exist where I can buy a little house?

Seriously, Im exhausted from looking on my own online at random cities, and would appreciate pointers in some direction. I know it will be hard work to find, Im just tired of blindly looking since none of us know the area. Im willing to move anywhere within 4 hours. It’s starting to look like all I can afford is an RV. Help a granny out?

Thanks in advance for your time to give suggestions. Feel free to private message me if you dont want to tell the whole world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,920,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRiver View Post
Hello all-

I followed my son and his family to North Carolina. I love it here living with them in Birkdale, due to the grandbabies, 1 & 3, and just found a lovely church family. Bluegrass & BBQ are favorites of mine and my parents were from the south so feel at home. Beautiful home, nice neighbors, convenient to everything. Hate the traffic after 30 years working in Silicon Valley. Highlight - grandbabies Lowlight - traffic

Originally grew up during best years 1950s & 1960s Of California, wouldnt go back for a million dollars because it wouldnt be enough. Loved the weather. Highlight - Number of days enjoyed outside Lowlight - Cost of living.

Moved to Oregon for 10 years before coming here. Loved the natural beauty. Lived a California millionaires lifestyle there, small town 1500 pop. No waiting in line at bank or post office, library was quiet. No traffic to speak of. Safer. Mountain views for 360 degrees. Mild winters, was at about 1500 ft. All four seasons were beautiful. Went to local bluegrass, gospel jams/performances every week and southern gospel groups when they came around which wasnt very often unfortunately. Highlight - Beauty Lowlight - so far away now.

I will be looking for my own place later this year. I know I would prefer to stay as near the kids as possible. I want a little house with a little land around it. No packed together condo, townhome, cabins for me. All I need is a good internet, grocery store, library and in my dreams a view and a great church. I would love a small mountain town with good medical services within a 15 minute drive.

OK thats my challenge. I only have 130k cash and a fixed income. Does such a cute little town exist where I can buy a little house?

Seriously, Im exhausted from looking on my own online at random cities, and would appreciate pointers in some direction. I know it will be hard work to find, Im just tired of blindly looking since none of us know the area. Im willing to move anywhere within 4 hours. It’s starting to look like all I can afford is an RV. Help a granny out?

Thanks in advance for your time to give suggestions. Feel free to private message me if you dont want to tell the whole world.
Start with Gaston County. Also look at Kings Mountain & Hickory. Most of the tiny towns that I can think of aren't really going to be for you. More people means more transplants. These people will be more open to looking for friends. You'd also end up traveling for shopping, more often.

Last edited by southbound_295; 04-28-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 04-28-2018, 11:35 AM

Thank you for responding. Will do. Just curious, what the reason is for your statement that most of the tiny towns wouldnt be for me?

Old 04-28-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRiver View Post
Thank you for responding. Will do. Just curious, what the reason is for your statement that most of the tiny towns wouldnt be for me?
Tiny towns consist of lifers. These are usually people who have been there all of their lives, as have generations of their families. They aren't looking for friends. They've already got them. There's little shopping. You'd be lucky to find a grocery store in a lot of them. Look for locations with senior citizen centers. Gaston County has 2 or 3. Kings Mountain has one. You can meet people who are open to socializing with you.

Also, tiny towns can present a problem if you want internet.

Then there's the problem of transportation if you have a car problem. . .

If you're dead set on tiny towns, look at Grover at least I 85 runs by it.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:19 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,426,951 times
Maybe Abingdon, VA? Can make it to Huntersville in less than 3 hours. Cute town with other amenities nearby, some nice scenery and a nice new hospital.

For a little closer to here but a smaller town, maybe Galax VA. I’ve never been there but looks interesting.

For still somewhat near Charlotte (but 1+ hours to Huntersville), maybe Albemarle.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 PM

11 posts, read 9,777 times
Let me throw this out and see if it sticks.Is it possible to add a addition ( with your money ) to your son's house? Something with your own private entrance and space.This way you have the best of both worlds.
Just a thought.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:21 PM

Default Thank you GoPhils

You are kind to reply. I will research those three cities.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:23 PM

Tgseaver I like how you think. My son lives in a neighborhood with a lot of rules for the homeowners. I will talk to him about it though.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Tiny towns consist of lifers. These are usually people who have been there all of their lives, as have generations of their families. They aren't looking for friends. They've already got them. There's little shopping. You'd be lucky to find a grocery store in a lot of them. Look for locations with senior citizen centers. Gaston County has 2 or 3. Kings Mountain has one. You can meet people who are open to socializing with you.

Also, tiny towns can present a problem if you want internet.

Then there's the problem of transportation if you have a car problem. . .

If you're dead set on tiny towns, look at Grover at least I 85 runs by it.
Also, check for locations of the Gaston County library system. I forgot to address that wish. Kings Mountain has a library.

Kings Mountain has a hospital in the Atrium system, Gastonia has a hospital in the Caramount system. Hickory has Frye hospital. I'm sure that they have at least one library.

For groceries, not every small town has a supermarket. Chains that you probably haven't run across include Lidl & Ingles. Lidl is in Gastonia. It's similar to Aldi & walking distance from the Gastonia Aldi. There are big Ingles stores in Dallas & Kings Mountain & a small, older one in Bessemer City.

I wasn't trying to be mean when I told you that the tiny towns aren't for you. I live in the city in Kings Mountain. Once or twice a year I go to Shelby. Cleveland County only has 2 cities + one town of about 5000. The rest of the towns are very tiny & most of those people go to Shelby to shop. I've heard enough with my own ears & seen enough. I've also heard plenty from natives. I'm female & I'm in your generation.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:09 PM
NDL

4,528 posts, read 5,722,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I wasn't trying to be mean when I told you that the tiny towns aren't for you. I live in the city in Kings Mountain. Once or twice a year I go to Shelby. Cleveland County only has 2 cities + one town of about 5000. The rest of the towns are very tiny & most of those people go to Shelby to shop. I've heard enough with my own ears & seen enough. I've also heard plenty from natives. I'm female & I'm in your generation.
Southbound has given you sage advice.

(Check your PM's )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte