Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 12:06 PM

39 posts, read 142,750 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move to the area this April/May, we are looking at apartments in January. We plan to buy in either Concord or Kannapolis. Those are the main areas that seem to be affordable for us at the present. Does anyone have any input on the schools, people, traffic, shopping, areas to stay away from, crime, nice subdivisions where we could find 3 bed 2 bath for under $170,000?? Any info would be greatly appreciated, PM's welcomed also Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 07:21 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,914,738 times
My wife teaches in the system here and loves it. One of the best in NC. Traffic can get a little hairy, but if you know wha times to avoid, you'll be fine. Shopping/restaurants and good. Reallyy love living here and would highly recommend.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:51 PM

39 posts, read 142,750 times
Thanks everyone. Keep the info coming!

FriendNC:
Are you from NC? As far as traffic goes I need to know how gauge it, I'm from Long Island NY, traffic is realllllly bad here!

Old 12-12-2006, 03:47 AM

6 posts, read 13,822 times
I am also going to move to the Concord area and was there over Thanksgiving. I really enjoyed the time there and the area. I will be interested to see the responses that you receive. It all looked pretty good to me!

Old 12-12-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriella View Post
Thanks everyone. Keep the info coming!

FriendNC:
Are you from NC? As far as traffic goes I need to know how gauge it, I'm from Long Island NY, traffic is realllllly bad here!
I've lived in Concord for 9 years, and the Charlotte area all of my life. The traffic isn't bad if you hit the times right. Also depends on what hours/where you work. With our schedule, we seldom have problems. During the 3 race weeks per year, we just stay in those days and take alternate routes if we have to go out (we live 3 miles from the speedway/Concord Mills Mall). I'm sure the traffic's better here than LI. Good luck on your move!!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:18 AM

149 posts, read 645,271 times
i bought a home in brandon ridge. its off of 601 and 49. concord seems nice. But i just recently went to mathews and theres alot more stores and things going on

Old 12-15-2006, 12:35 PM

409 posts, read 1,238,211 times
Friendnc - I live 5 miles from Lowes Motors Speedway, so we must be neighbors!

In Weddington Woods you can buy a 3/2, 2100 sq ft home for around $170k. A relative just bought a 1600 sq ft 3/2 in our neighborhood for $150k. There isn't much of a turn over - maybe 8 houses each year sell (out of 128).

We are 4 miles from the giant Concord Mills mall. You can get more information on the mall using this link - http://www.concordmills.com

Around the mall is every type or restaurant you could possible want. There is a smaller mall within a 10 minute drive. Both malls also have movie theaters.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
Friendnc - I live 5 miles from Lowes Motors Speedway, so we must be neighbors!

In Weddington Woods you can buy a 3/2, 2100 sq ft home for around $170k. A relative just bought a 1600 sq ft 3/2 in our neighborhood for $150k. There isn't much of a turn over - maybe 8 houses each year sell (out of 128).

We are 4 miles from the giant Concord Mills mall. You can get more information on the mall using this link - http://www.concordmills.com

Around the mall is every type or restaurant you could possible want. There is a smaller mall within a 10 minute drive. Both malls also have movie theaters.
Yes, we are close. I'm at Ridge Crossing on Pitts School Rd.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:40 PM

77 posts, read 461,667 times
Quote:
FriendNC:
As far as traffic goes I need to know how gage it, I'm from Long Island NY, traffic is realllllly bad here!
I'm from Long Island. My grown kids live in Mooresville. Mooresville is a bit northwest of Concord.
My daughter travels 77 to work in Huntersville. She says the traffic isn't that bad unless there is an accident. That is where the problem comes in because there is no other main road you can take.

You know how when you on the Expressway in NY and if it's backed up you can go over to Northern State. There is no alternative in that area.

The best advice I have seen here is if you work on the west side live on the west side. The same goes for the east. You save travel time if you don't have to cross over. You then may have options of using local roads if you need them

Old 12-31-2007, 11:12 AM

367 posts, read 1,030,507 times
We live in Concord and love it! You are close to Concord Mills and since I work in the University area my commute is like 15 minutes. Our oldest daughter is in kindergarten and we love her school. Our neighborhood is probably 70 percent transplants with many being from your neck of the woods. Its really funny how we move back to the South and most of our neighbors have a NY/NJ accent Everybody is really nice Not sure if our neighborhood has any homes in that price range but there are lots of subdivisions within 2 miles that do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte