Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 05:53 AM

98 posts, read 286,379 times

Advertisements

My girls are still pretty young, but we heard there can be long waits for preschools. Any suggestions on where to check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 07:18 AM

206 posts, read 799,012 times
We have looked at quite a few since moving here and it really depends on what you are hoping to gain from a preschool. We wanted something that focused on learning but gave dd time to play too. We ended up choosing Calvary but didn't enroll until after registration. We were put on the waitlist and they just called to say she has a spot. We were on the list for Calvary and the preschool at the JCC. Both of those schools have a good blend of fun and learning.

We also looked at Chesterbrook Academy on Tom Short and were not happy with the principal. We also didn't like the fact that you paid the same amount whether you went a full day or half day. Learning Links at Rea Rd and Tom Short is also well liked. When we visited we didn't feel there was enough interaction between the teachers and kids. I do know several people that go there and love it. Another popular option is Open Door School in Southpark. My husband liked that a lot. It is very well liked. I didn't think there was enough education. It is more progressive than most programs and the kids get to choose their own activities from the various stations. I was worried that in the end dd wouldn't be as prepared for school as I would like.

If you have any other questions or any schools in particular just ask.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:43 AM

797 posts, read 3,295,130 times
We are at Calvary and its the BEST. Granted it took a year and half to get in but so worth it.
There are a lot in south charlotte, Omni Montessori, Kids R Kids, Goddard School, Chesterbrook (several locations). You better get on waiting lists well in advance..it's crazy.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:52 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,118,055 times
How far in advance?

Old 03-26-2008, 11:21 AM

206 posts, read 799,012 times
We didn't have a hard time getting dd in. It will depend on the school and age of your child but if you have a couple you like I think it would be a piece of cake. I would research the schools that you like and keep tabs on their registration dates so that you can tour the schools and be ready to register when the time comes.

We were told how crazy it is here and still were able to get dd what we wanted when we wanted.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,680,362 times
It also depends how much (if any) religious education you want for your girls. A lot of churches here have preschools with them, so look around to see what you are comfortable with. Also, Open Door School is near Sharon Amity and Randolph, so it's not too close to SouthPark. It would be a long drive from Fort Mill and some parts of S. Charlotte.
There are tons of great preschools here; you just need to find one that works for your family.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:52 AM

5 posts, read 18,568 times
We live in Fort Mill and both of my DDs go to Calvary. It takes me about 20 minutes which is OK with me. They both love it and have learned a great deal. My 5 year old has many specials (Spanish, Multicultural, Music, Science, Movement, Drama/Computer). My 2 year old also has Music, Spanish, and Science. The program is from 9 to 1. I was initially worried about the drive but it hasn't been that bad.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:03 AM

755 posts, read 2,492,760 times
My kids went to Good Shepherd UMC which is on York Road just south of Carowinds Boulevard. My four-year-old was reading before she graduated. However, I must say that this was under their old director, so I can't vouch for the program today.

There is a Chesterbrook Academy basically across the street at Southpoint Business Park. They had a fine preschool program when my oldest was there (about 9 years ago), but I believe they have another director now as well.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:14 AM

797 posts, read 3,295,130 times
Calvary also has a full day. THat's what our son is in.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:40 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,359,953 times
Default Another Calvary kid here

OK well we have not started officially yet (in August) but my 2 year old is all signed up. We literally got a last minute spot and were extremely lucky. My husband visited the center during working hours and was very impressed. We just did a test drive a week ago when we were in CLT from our future neighborhood, and the drive was about 10 min, not too bad. From the outside it looks very organized and neat.

All the good reviews I read here as well as on Charlotte Mommies is what swayed my decision.

We currently attend Goddard School in Illiniois and absolutely love that as well! I think you would be fine with either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: