Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 02:08 PM

38 posts, read 102,754 times

Advertisements

We are moving from ATL and were in Charlotte this weekend looking at the surrounding areas. A short commute is important to us into uptown where my husband will be working. However we need to keep our house as close to $200,00 as possible.

We looked around the Huntersville area, exit 23, and liked it. It was only 13 miles from the city which seemed great compared to ATL drives in to the city. However I am trying to get an idea of the commute time in to Charlotte during rush hour. Does anyone know how long it is in the AM and PM?

Ft. Mill- I heard a lot about the commute and schools being good and but when we got off of 77, at 160, and headed into the Main Street area it seemed like a much longer commute. Plus it seemed like the main street area was in a town that time forgot. Lots of empty stores and it had a VERY sleepy town feel. Did we miss something there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 02:25 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie001 View Post
We are moving from ATL and were in Charlotte this weekend looking at the surrounding areas. A short commute is important to us into uptown where my husband will be working. However we need to keep our house as close to $200,00 as possible.

We looked around the Huntersville area, exit 23, and liked it. It was only 13 miles from the city which seemed great compared to ATL drives in to the city. However I am trying to get an idea of the commute time in to Charlotte during rush hour. Does anyone know how long it is in the AM and PM?

Ft. Mill- I heard a lot about the commute and schools being good and but when we got off of 77, at 160, and headed into the Main Street area it seemed like a much longer commute. Plus it seemed like the main street area was in a town that time forgot. Lots of empty stores and it had a VERY sleepy town feel. Did we miss something there?

In regard to Fort Mill...what you viewed was the Town of Fort Mill. Which is more the older historical portion of the area. Best description I can give you is..if you think of Main Street being the center, and all the area surrounding it...is what has exploded with new growth (which is the Fort Mill Township area).

If you decide to come view again...the first exit off Interstate 77 for the area would be exit 90 (Carowinds area), next would be 88 (Gold Hill Rd/Tega Cay), exit 85 (is more than likely where you got off at...had you turned to your right instead of to your left...one of the first places you would have noticed is Baxter Village), next exit would be exit 83 (Sutton Rd), once your cross the Catawba River you have now entered Rock Hill, SC. The area also sits on both sides of the Interstate.

If you wish to learn more...there are several folks on the SC side (York County/Lancaster Cnty subforum) that would be happy to help you with more information.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:42 PM

316 posts, read 394,923 times
HUntersville from exit 23 to down down is about 25 to 45 minutes depending on traffic - Huntersville is a very cute booming town! Ft. Mill? I have not been there in a LONG time!

Old 03-09-2008, 02:46 PM

38 posts, read 102,754 times
Okay, we got off exit 85 and headed straight into Main Street. It seemed a little too quiet and country there, so we turned around and headed to Huntersville. I am used to the suburban cities here in ATL and am looking for an area that is good to raise a family but also has some kind of center area or a small "downtown" with shops and things to see and do. The commute seemed longer too, just in distance, but I have heard it is only 30 minutes to uptown from Ft. Mill. But Huntersville seemed like a shorter distance but I have been hearing the commute is not that good into uptown.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:25 PM

49 posts, read 166,066 times
When I came here I looked at Ft. Mill and Huntersville also. Ft. Mill was very nice, but still had a small town look and feel and was a drive from the homes to anything. Also I found that the commute south out of Charlotte was worse than heading north. I settled in Huntersville and like it a lot. Other than the fact that the local street infrastucture has yet to catch up with the growth, it is a great place to live, raise a family, etc. There is lots to do and shopping galore. You have the aquatic center, Latte Plantation, Birkdale and the mall is about 10 minutes away. The trip from uptown to exit 23 is about 25 minutes unless there is a jam, then it is longer. Hope that helps.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:58 PM

444 posts, read 1,648,842 times
You might want to consider Gastonia or Belmont. Belmont has a lot of things to do however it is very small. Gastonia is more like what you are looking for since it has malls and restaurants. Nice area and growing.

My sister lives in Mount Holly and she is on South Boulevard in about 20 minutes. If you lived in Gastonia or that general area you could be in down town in approximately the same time, maybe 30 min depending on what time you leave home.

Rock Hill also offers you a nice area with malls, shopping, restaurants and lots of things to do. Of course, the taxes are less in South Carolina.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck to you!

Old 03-09-2008, 05:23 PM

850 posts, read 2,650,277 times
I live in Baxter of exit 85...love it. We have a ton of shopping with in 5 min of our house. It is 18 miles to Uptown and takes around 30 minutes in rush hour... Carolina Place Mall is 15 min and South Park is 25 or so... Great place to live!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:55 AM

474 posts, read 1,748,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie001 View Post

We used to live in Monteith Park in Huntersville and now live in Walden Park in Fort Mill. Our main reasons for moving were to be closer to family and to be in the Fort Mill School District versus Charlotte Meck Schools.

Overall, we prefer Fort Mill. It is smaller, less congested on the local roads, and to us has more of a small-town family feel. The commute is about the same for each, give or take 5 to 10 minutes, but the HOV lane to Huntersville is great if you take the bus or carpool. Property taxes are also lower in Fort Mill.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:44 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,962 times
Commute Time: Just on 77 from Exit 23 to Exit 10 (Trade Street) is about 20 minutes between 730 and 900, going home its abouu 30 minutes from 500 to 630. Can vary on the day of course. If you go to Exit 25 add 10 minutes for the less than 2 miles. Then in depends in what part of Huntersville. I am off Beatties Ford and its 10 more minutes. I actually take Beatties in to exit 18.

Fort Mill. I think you can get a better deal on a house in Fort Mill right now, but they appear more cookie cutter to me. They have better ranked schools and lower property taxes, for now. You can get the small town feel as well there. I ended up wanting to stay on the north side which stopped much of my searching south of the city. Huntersville has better shopping/events and in my opinion better access to the lakes. Also note, these are two different states, so North Carolina versus South Carolina, different Laws and such exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte