Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 01:18 PM

22 posts, read 17,455 times

Advertisements

Originally from Chicago (technically a close-in pre-1900 suburb, walkable to the L) we moved to Florida for both a change of pace and to be near family.

Well, other than a few progressive/educated pockets, Florida is where you go to check out. A great place to vacation but for us, not the best place to live. While schlepping around with kids is a lot easier in sun vs snow, as kindergarten approaches, the realty of a Florida education is staring us in the face. We miss the amenities, opportunities, and people in a cosmopolitan urban area and are ready to trade convenience and warmth for an overall more enriching lifestyle.

That said, we're looking at moving to DC, Charlotte, or Atlanta with the common denominator being a large city in the Southeast. Each has its pros and cons... and tons of suburbs. While we've visited all three, we're hoping for advice on neighborhoods in the Charlotte area that are similar to Oak Park/River Forest or Evanston/Wilmette in the Chicago area. Or, maybe I'm just deluding myself.

Key points are: highly educated (read 25-30%+ with grad degrees), friendly, tight knit (meaning a lot of people have many friends within a walkable and/or compact neighborhood vs sprawled all over three states), great public schools, somewhat urban, shops/restaurants, close to transit, convenient to all the reasons you'd move to Charlotte. Probably not: North Meck/Lake Norman or Ballantyne/Waxhaw/Indian Land. Ideally $500-700k for a SFH. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 10:17 AM

501 posts, read 535,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeFloriduh View Post
Originally from Chicago (technically a close-in pre-1900 suburb, walkable to the L) we moved to Florida for both a change of pace and to be near family.

Well, other than a few progressive/educated pockets, Florida is where you go to check out. A great place to vacation but for us, not the best place to live. While schlepping around with kids is a lot easier in sun vs snow, as kindergarten approaches, the realty of a Florida education is staring us in the face. We miss the amenities, opportunities, and people in a cosmopolitan urban area and are ready to trade convenience and warmth for an overall more enriching lifestyle.

That said, we're looking at moving to DC, Charlotte, or Atlanta with the common denominator being a large city in the Southeast. Each has its pros and cons... and tons of suburbs. While we've visited all three, we're hoping for advice on neighborhoods in the Charlotte area that are similar to Oak Park/River Forest or Evanston/Wilmette in the Chicago area. Or, maybe I'm just deluding myself.

Key points are: highly educated (read 25-30%+ with grad degrees), friendly, tight knit (meaning a lot of people have many friends within a walkable and/or compact neighborhood vs sprawled all over three states), great public schools, somewhat urban, shops/restaurants, close to transit, convenient to all the reasons you'd move to Charlotte. Probably not: North Meck/Lake Norman or Ballantyne/Waxhaw/Indian Land. Ideally $500-700k for a SFH. Thanks!

I would make a recommendation, but you seem like a person that needs a snobbier neighborhood. I would recommend Davidson which might be up your alley, but it is in North Mecklenburg/Lake Norman. Consider Dilworth. By the way, great public schools limit it to south Charlotte and the Lake Norman area in my humble opinion. Public transportation includes busses (park and ride are available) and the light rail that travels from the far southwest part of the county (near Pineville) to uptown. This will extend to UNCC next year when completed.

Charlotte is most likely not where you want to be. There are likely many things that you will find wrong. We are a city with a metro of just over 2 million and nowhere as big as Chicago and therefore lack the same amenities. I love it here and I have lived in places larger than Chicago, but I'm really not that picky. There is enough entertainment (performing arts, festivals, pubs, and restaurants) to keep me busy and occupied. Also,volunteering has taken up much of my time. I volunteer for the USO and other organizations. So, my life is full. Oh yea, we have an international airport 20 minutes from my house so I can hop on the plane and visit relatives in London whenever I wish.

I would seriously suggest Washington, but good luck with finding a descent place for $500-$700K in a neighborhood where there are a high percentage of graduate degrees. I have heard great things about living in D.C. or surrounding Virginia towns. But, I don't hear of complaints from people that move here. Good luck, but if you come to Charlotte, please know what you are moving to. We hate people that sit around and complain. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:45 AM

7,092 posts, read 12,441,547 times
Miami? Orlando? Tampa? New Orleans? It seems like you've skipped some obvious choices much closer to home.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:12 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,944,903 times
Quote:

DC is a MidAtlantic city at the southern end of the Northeast rail corridor. The real estate is super expensive. If you're willing to look that far north, look at Philadelphia, while you're at it. It's much more affordable. Your budget is no problem there unless you want a mansion on the Main Line. I'd suggest that you look at & compare Philadelphia, Charlotte, & Atlanta. DC is the outlier in your chosen group.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:12 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,773,131 times
Quote:
Maybe the Montibello neighborhood in South Charlotte would fit what you are looking for? There should be some homes that fit your price range there. Dilworth would fit what you are looking for the most, but for a SFH you are really looking at $900k+ in that neighborhood.

Davidson would have been a good fit, but you ruled out that area for some reason.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
I would make a recommendation, but you seem like a person that needs a snobbier neighborhood.
Bingo. You sound like what we dislike in FL. I'm not going to get into countering specifics of your judgmental comment, but I'm aware of what the Charlotte area has to offer and suffice it to say I wouldn't be posting here if I didn't like Charlotte. Nor would I move anywhere to complain.

We have family in NC and SC, have found [most] locals to be friendly, like that there are many transplants, and like the regional location. From my limited knowledge, the areas that appeal to us are the Dilworth, Selwyn, or Eastover attendance zones. I'm going off census tract data, voting records, and driving around. I'm hoping for other similar areas.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Miami? Orlando? Tampa? New Orleans? It seems like you've skipped some obvious choices much closer to home.
We'd like to be further north for more easy travel options and those places wouldn't solve the good public school issue, among other reasons. They're great to visit but we like the vibe outside of FL.

Where is "urban" Charlotte to you?

Old 02-15-2017, 11:30 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,773,131 times
Quote:
Bingo. You sound like what we dislike in FL. I'm not going to get into countering specifics of your judgmental comment, but I'm aware of what the Charlotte area has to offer and suffice it to say I wouldn't be posting here if I didn't like Charlotte. Nor would I move anywhere to complain.

We have family in NC and SC, have found [most] locals to be friendly, like that there are many transplants, and like the regional location. From my limited knowledge, the areas that appeal to us are the Dilworth, Selwyn, or Eastover attendance zones. I'm going off census tract data, voting records, and driving around. I'm hoping for other similar areas.
Look at Barclay Downs in the Sewlyn attendance area. Eastover is one of the most expensive areas of the city, I'll be surprised if you can find a SFH in there. There are only 3 SFH's less than $700k in that attendance area and they need renovation work or are on a busy road.

There aren't many listing in your price range in Dilworth Elementary boundaries either, but you might be able to find something if you are willing to live on Park Road (busy 4 lane thoroughfare).

Your budget is in a good range for Cotswold Elementary boundaries, Beverly Woods Elementary, and Sharon Road Elementary as well.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Maybe the Montibello neighborhood in South Charlotte would fit what you are looking for? There should be some homes that fit your price range there. Dilworth would fit what you are looking for the most, but for a SFH you are really looking at $900k+ in that neighborhood.

Davidson would have been a good fit, but you ruled out that area for some reason.
Davidson is great but homes near the main street shopping and university are over our budget. Beyond that, it's more exurban than we're looking for.

Dilworth is on the list and a home that needed work would be fine for the location. I'm just hoping there may be other similar areas.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Look at Barclay Downs in the Sewlyn attendance area. Eastover is one of the most expensive areas of the city, I'll be surprised if you can find a SFH in there. There are only 3 SFH's less than $700k in that attendance area and they need renovation work or are on a busy road.

There aren't many listing in your price range in Dilworth Elementary boundaries either, but you might be able to find something if you are willing to live on Park Road (busy 4 lane thoroughfare).

Your budget is in a good range for Cotswold Elementary boundaries, Beverly Woods Elementary, and Sharon Road Elementary as well.
I think it'll be a challenge... I'm also concerned about maintaining property values the farther you go from Uptown (beyond SouthPark mall) if they bring back bussing/increase magnets. I'd be up for some updating to get into a walkable area as the premium you pay for newer is more than the cost of renovating.

Any thought on living in the Sedgefield zone and doing private school until HS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte