Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:54 AM

382 posts, read 1,887,944 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have suggestions for where to take some beginner level sewing classes? I'm interested in home decor projects mostly. I have a machine, but I don't know how to use it.
I know of some places (CPCC, Michaels, Hancocks, Queens Univ. I think does one), but I don't know where would be the best place. I live in South Charlotte so somewhere on that side is preferred. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:00 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Try this.
Instructors for Serging Classes, Sewing Classes, and Quilting Classes in Charlotte, NC

They are located on Pineville-Matthews Road near the Park Rd. intersection. If you see the driveway where Bruegel's (sp?) Bagels is, turn there. Store is managed by the owner who is a quilter and a sewer and definitely knows her stuff. This one is a Babylock dealer.

There is another one at Stonecrest, which is a Bernina dealer. I prefer the other one to this since this appears to be managed by people who don't have a clue about sewing/quilting, and are just there to ring up sales. Hopefully, if and when they have classes, their instructors are better.

Both stores have fabrics and notions.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:10 PM

69 posts, read 277,530 times
I took my first sewing class this fall at Sewing Arts Studio, the one off 51 in Tower Place shopping center in Pineville. It was a great beginner class in which we made a pillow case, tote bag, cosmetic bag with a zipper and pajama pants. I learned a lot, bought my first sewing machine (well, my husband "bought" it for me for Christmas) and have been sewing ever since. Highly recommended!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 AM

382 posts, read 1,887,944 times
Thank you! Sewing Arts Studio is only 10 minutes from my house. I'll check with them.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 8,822 times
Do any of you know how to get a hold of Laura at all? I would love to find the lady that taught the embroidery classes I know she was going to offer them at other places please let me know

thank you

Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,493 times
Alterations by Christy in downtown Monroe. Lessons are individual. Plenty of machines. Nice space, clean shop. She is beyond patient. Grouped into 8 hour sessions that can be broken down to fit into your schedule. You get all of the basics plus, whatever you'd like to focus on. I know a woman who only wanted to do window treatments. My primary interest was zippers, hems, patches — all the things you can imagine a mother with rough and tumble boys might need to know.

Have fun!

Sara

Old 03-29-2009, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,922 times
I would like to take some beginning quilting classes. I live in Lake Wylie and would like to find something close to my home

Old 03-29-2009, 05:10 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
My wife took sewing classes at Queens as she had an idea for a product (circa 2002).
Fast forward 3 years, and she was in In Style (3x), Lucky (2x), US, Teen People, Domino, the CLT Observer, Skirt, and several other women's shopping magazines that I do not even know their names. Her products even made the gift bags at two Cannes Film Festivals.

The classes at Queens provider her a way to start-up then send prototypes to manufacturers who could turn out volume (we used only USA manfs).

Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 AM

124 posts, read 583,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiofbb View Post
I would like to take some beginning quilting classes. I live in Lake Wylie and would like to find something close to my home
Hi - I don't know anywhere close to Lake Wylie, however, there are a few in Union County - The Quilting Nook is in Waxhaw, The Quilt Patch in Stallings and Overall Quilter in Indian Trail. All offer beginner classes - all have great fabric selections too.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,493 times
Aimee owns the Overall Quilter in (Sun Valley) Indian Trail. She is fantastic! Wonderfully patient, very knowledgable and a good eye for terrific frabric.

You're certain to have a great experience! I believe her next beginner class starts in May. At the end of the 2-days class you will have a completed child size quilt. Just google for her website.

Sara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte