Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 AM

11 posts, read 40,864 times

Advertisements

My husband found out last week that we will be relocating to Charlotte for his job by this summer, so I am flying down to Charlotte on Thursday to check out some possible areas to live in. My husband's office is in South Park and we would like to live no longer than a 30 minute commute from the office. We also have 2 young children, one of which will be starting school this fall so great schools are of high importance to us. We are looking for newer houses (we built our current one 2 years ago and love the newness of it), preferrable brand new or a couple of years old.

We want to see as many areas as possible this weekend - I currently am looking to go to Matthews, Mint Hill, Weddington, but would love for other suggestions or comments on these places. Our budget is up to $500,000 for a house, so if anyone can suggest other communities or developements to visit, I would so appreciate any help that you could give me. Am I looking at the right areas???

Thanks for your help!
Kristen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,879,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjeohio View Post
My husband found out last week that we will be relocating to Charlotte for his job by this summer, so I am flying down to Charlotte on Thursday to check out some possible areas to live in. My husband's office is in South Park and we would like to live no longer than a 30 minute commute from the office. We also have 2 young children, one of which will be starting school this fall so great schools are of high importance to us. We are looking for newer houses (we built our current one 2 years ago and love the newness of it), preferrable brand new or a couple of years old.

We want to see as many areas as possible this weekend - I currently am looking to go to Matthews, Mint Hill, Weddington, but would love for other suggestions or comments on these places. Our budget is up to $500,000 for a house, so if anyone can suggest other communities or developements to visit, I would so appreciate any help that you could give me. Am I looking at the right areas???

Thanks for your help!
Kristen
You are not considering Ballantyne area or S. CLT in general?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:42 AM

I don't know much about Ballantyne - in fact I only know a little about Charlotte from what I have read. One of our friends mentioned Ballantyne yesterday so I am adding that to my list as well.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I don't know much about Ballantyne - in fact I only know a little about Charlotte from what I have read. One of our friends mentioned Ballantyne yesterday so I am adding that to my list as well.
Since your H will be working in Southpark, you probably should check it out!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,789,222 times
Yes, definitely check it out. There are some really good opportunities around the Ballantyne area.

Weddington too, even more options there, but it's going to put you further out and possibly past your 30 minute commute time depending on what hours he is driving back and forth.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 AM

175 posts, read 190,634 times
May as well try to get as close to Southpark as possible although the schools that Southpark is actually zoned for aren't the best. You'll want to head a little further South. Look for the neighborhoods along Providence and particularly Rea and Colony Roads. For $500,000 you should have no trouble. There's a smiliar thread running where people are recommending Beverly Crest (not sure you'd have to spend even close to $500K in there). Also, Cottonwood, Chadwick and Five Knolls. And the neighborhoods on Pineville-Matthews Road like Cairrington, Windswept, Challis Farms and Raintree might be good options. Raintree is an enormous golf community with home in all price ranges while the others are pretty small but beautiful. All have great schools. Piper Glen in another closeby option. If you can't find anything in those 'hoods, you're not looking. Other than that, Ballantyne is lovely but a little further out and IMHO a little snooty.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,192,810 times
Quote:

Thanks for your help!
Kristen
Kristen, you will not find a new/newer home close to South Park as this area is well established. Mint Hill, Matthews and Weddington do all have areas still being developed so there are new homes to be found there. However, just know your commute gets more difficult the further out you go for those new homes. Frankly, I think it is a shame you don't want to consider the neighborhoods closer to South Park - homes there are just beautiful and traditional with lovely yards. If you change your mind we could suggest some neighborhoods you might like Add Ballantyne to your list as this section of south Charlotte has many nice newer homes in your price range. Check out Stone Creek Ranch, Hunter Oaks, Ardry i(all in Ballantyne) - Shanamara and Glencroft in Mint Hill and Canterbury Place in Matthews. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,192,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
May as well try to get as close to Southpark as possible although the schools that Southpark is actually zoned for aren't the best. You'll want to head a little further South. Look for the neighborhoods along Providence and particularly Rea and Colony Roads. For $500,000 you should have no trouble. There's a smiliar thread running where people are recommending Beverly Crest (not sure you'd have to spend even close to $500K in there). Also, Cottonwood, Chadwick and Five Knolls. And the neighborhoods on Pineville-Matthews Road like Cairrington, Windswept, Challis Farms and Raintree might be good options. Raintree is an enormous golf community with home in all price ranges while the others are pretty small but beautiful. All have great schools. Piper Glen in another closeby option. If you can't find anything in those 'hoods, you're not looking. Other than that, Ballantyne is lovely but a little further out and IMHO a little snooty.
She WOULD find things in all the neighborhoods, but she won't find much new construction in any of them - which is what she said she is looking for.

Please tell me which South Park area schools are not the best - as I cannot think of a single one and have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
She WOULD find things in all the neighborhoods, but she won't find much new construction in any of them - which is what she said she is looking for.

Please tell me which South Park area schools are not the best - as I cannot think of a single one and have no idea what you are talking about.
I think maybe JerseyGirl got mixed up. Charlotte can be very confusing. That said - SouthPark is a most desirable area, for housing as well as schools.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Thanks to everyone that has responded. It's not that we don't want to look in South Park, but we have had an older home and a newer home and are looking for newer construction since my husband works so much and we won't have time for renovations, so newer for us is the way to go. I look forward to checking out all of the areas suggested this weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte