Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 PM

32 posts, read 144,193 times

Advertisements

This is not a reply I have a questions also. I've been considering purchasing rental investment properties the Gastonia area. I noticed housing is a lot cheaper than in most places why is that for such a growing city. How is Gastonia in comparison to Charlotte? Is it a decent place to invest in? Just looking for others to share their opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 01:45 PM

21 posts, read 97,401 times
Honestly most areas within the city limits of Gastonia are crapholes. My husband and I lived in Belmont (eastern Gaston country) and then moved into Gastonia in November to be closer to his job on the west side of Gastonia. Honestly this town is soooo run down/crime ridden and depressing it is making me consider moving away from NC altogether.

One of the previous posters was correct in that alot of the neighborhoods have nice houses that ppl have poured alot of $$ into but right next door might be a run down dilapidated mess.

As far as buying rentals, I wouldn't buy in Gastonia even if someone GAVE me the money to do it with. Nearly every landlord we spoke to before deciding on the rental we are in, had atleast 2 different tenants destroy the prop and vacate in the last year.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:09 PM

68 posts, read 284,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyP View Post
Honestly most areas within the city limits of Gastonia are crapholes. My husband and I lived in Belmont (eastern Gaston country) and then moved into Gastonia in November to be closer to his job on the west side of Gastonia. Honestly this town is soooo run down/crime ridden and depressing it is making me consider moving away from NC altogether.

One of the previous posters was correct in that alot of the neighborhoods have nice houses that ppl have poured alot of $$ into but right next door might be a run down dilapidated mess.

As far as buying rentals, I wouldn't buy in Gastonia even if someone GAVE me the money to do it with. Nearly every landlord we spoke to before deciding on the rental we are in, had atleast 2 different tenants destroy the prop and vacate in the last year.
Dont let the door hit ya then yuppie. We dont want anyone here who doesnt want to be apart of the amazing renaissance thats about to happen in this city.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:45 AM

61 posts, read 76,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredio05 View Post
This is not a reply I have a questions also. I've been considering purchasing rental investment properties the Gastonia area. I noticed housing is a lot cheaper than in most places why is that for such a growing city. How is Gastonia in comparison to Charlotte? Is it a decent place to invest in? Just looking for others to share their opinions.
I'm assuming you aren't entirely serious. In the event that you are, Gastonia is at best a suburb of Charlotte. Nothing against it but it wouldn't be growing but for its proximity to Charlotte. Have you given it a good look? G-town is a sweet southern town but it isn't fair to its natives to even try to compare it to the second biggest financial center in the United States of America! That said, I will be at Mary Jo's Fabrics on Tuesday.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:54 AM

61 posts, read 76,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GastoniaNative View Post
Dont let the door hit ya then yuppie. We dont want anyone here who doesnt want to be apart of the amazing renaissance thats about to happen in this city.
Now THAT'S optimism!

Old 03-09-2008, 07:56 AM

93 posts, read 391,732 times
Gastonia is OK; depends on where you go. The further you go downtown, it gets spotty in some areas. I think the areas along S New Hope/Redbud/Union RD is a very nice area; York/Chester has older homes, but very nicely renovated area. Gastonia is a nice town, but very spread out, and it's true that real estate is cheaper here. Just keep asking around and you'll know it when you see it!

Old 03-09-2008, 10:00 AM

44 posts, read 153,318 times
Default Gastonia is BAD!!

Gastonia is a redneck mill town with a high crime rate and run down houses and most people here don't even wear shoes,they wear flip flops year round!
That said maybe the yankees will stay away and just keep gobbling up Belmont so the Lavechia family and the Stowes get even richer. or better yet stay in Union County where it takes 50 minutes to drive 1 mile! and those scattered built houses can all burn at the same time!!

Geeze louise those stupid yankees are spending $250K for a 1700 sq. ft. bungalow in McAdenville just cause it sez Saussey Burbank.. and there isn't a Starbucks nearby!

So plez keep spreading the word, Gastonia is still the murder capital of the world,murders per capita since the 1970's.. so the Hummer driving rich stay away!

I'm a Gastonia native and a former lint head who has to work in "SIN CITY" Charlotte and "Traffic City" Union County. So be careful for what you wish for!!!!
All the yankees have already bought up every square inch along the Catawba River and the Gods are angry,that's why their docks are sitting in the mud at their $2million-dollar river cabins,hehehe!!

Cheers to all,even the Yankees!

Robt

Last edited by robster; 03-09-2008 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 03:40 PM

93 posts, read 391,732 times
(LOL)That's the only weird thing about $$$ houses; they're all built along that muddy, yucky Catawba Creek.

Plus, there is NO STARBUCK"s anywhere! Guess there's no place for it in Gastonia. I live near Belmont, and do a littlebit of shopping in Franklin Sq, but mostly go down to Pineville, as there's definitly more stuff/more variety to do.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:50 PM

850 posts, read 2,655,550 times
You guys still cruse Franklin Blvd????
G-Town Baby....

Old 03-09-2008, 04:24 PM

616 posts, read 1,754,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyP View Post

Wow, you must live in a different Gastonia than I do.

We just bought a house here and are quite happy. (We are about 3 minutes outside of the city of Gastonia, but I drive and shop in Gastonia all the time.) Our neighborhood is middle class, a few homes and yards could use some sprucing up but mostly it's tidy. We're sort of out in the country, so it's quiet ('cept for the frogs and night bugs) and dark at night. We considered Yorkchester because we love old homes and the "urban vibe" but decided to go for the lure of a large yard (1.2 acres). There's no Starbucks nearby, but there is a great espresso and coffee house about 10 minutes away. Starbucks is overrated anyway, their coffee mostly tastes burnt. :-)

I can choose from BiLo, Food Lion (a brand new one or an older one), a 24 hours Harris Teeter, for grocery shopping nearby. There's a library, several drugstores, dry cleaners, gas stations, several fish camps, etc. etc. Folks seem friendly and courteous, and I am so pleased to hear a familiar North Carolina "mountain country" accent that I became accustomed to in Franklin, NC. When out on country roads, I still get and give the "hands on the wheel wave and slight nod" to oncoming drivers. I wish I could here and not have to go into Charlotte at all. Until then, my strategy is get in/out of Uptown for job, do errands on the way home, and live life in Gaston County and Gastonia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte