Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:50 PM

509 posts, read 1,802,824 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am new to this forum. We are considering a move to Charlotte and am torn... Hunterville (Monteith Park maybe) or Ballantyne area. I would be working uptown... which is an easier commute? Better overall QOL?

Schools are an issue as we have one child and hope not to move again before she hits elementary school in a couple of years... Huntersville Elem. seems ok and there are some good elementary schools in Ballantyne area, right?

What are good subdivisions to look for? I like the Saussy Burbank type "historic" homes. Our price range is in the high 300's, low 400's. We don't necessarily need to build our own, but I don't want to pay $400k for an '80s home that needs a kitchen remodel.

Is there ANYWHERE in South Charlotte inside 485 that is in our price range (note the desire to NOT remodel an older home!)? I would love to live closer to uptown but am priced out of Dilworth, Myers Park etc., even Cotswold is getting pricey...

Thanks!

GT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2006, 09:20 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
Hey all,

I am new to this forum. We are considering a move to Charlotte and am torn... Hunterville (Monteith Park maybe) or Ballantyne area. I would be working uptown... which is an easier commute? Better overall QOL?

Schools are an issue as we have one child and hope not to move again before she hits elementary school in a couple of years... Huntersville Elem. seems ok and there are some good elementary schools in Ballantyne area, right?

What are good subdivisions to look for? I like the Saussy Burbank type "historic" homes. Our price range is in the high 300's, low 400's. We don't necessarily need to build our own, but I don't want to pay $400k for an '80s home that needs a kitchen remodel.

Is there ANYWHERE in South Charlotte inside 485 that is in our price range (note the desire to NOT remodel an older home!)? I would love to live closer to uptown but am priced out of Dilworth, Myers Park etc., even Cotswold is getting pricey...

Thanks!

GT
I am partial to the South Charlotte/Ballantyne area. We relocated in 1998 from NY, and preferred this area to northern areas. Note, though, that Ballantyne is not inside 485.

I did a quick MLS search, and there are choices for you inside 485, though they are not the Saussy Burbank type houses. There is a neighborhood just outside 485 (about a mile south of the Rea Road exit) called Blakeney Greens, that has Saussy Burbank homes and is beautiful (and well within your price range). Cunnane also has built in an neighborhood called Ardrey in the same area, that has a similar style but higher in price. I would be happy to send you listings that meet your criteria -- just PM me.

For the northern areas, I would contact CharlotteAgent on this forum.

Best of luck in your search, and please let me know if I can help you in any way.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:03 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,833,378 times
Monteith park is nice. Have you looked at any other neighborhoods in that price range in this area?

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:13 AM

543 posts, read 1,824,735 times
You can chck out Villages of Rosedale in Huntersville also. It's a little below your price range but the houses are nice and run about 3000 sq feet average. The development borders Torrence creek elementary which my sons goes to and loves. Really convienent to everything also.

Good luck in your search..

Old 11-16-2006, 11:41 AM

509 posts, read 1,802,824 times
I haven't looked at other subdivisions on the north side yet... if you have suggestions, I'll take 'em!

Thanks for the Villages of Rosedale suggestion too.

What about the commuting difference - or is there one - between Ballantyne to uptown and Huntersville to uptown?

GT

Old 11-16-2006, 11:48 AM

474 posts, read 1,748,960 times
GT,
Here's what I posted in another thread concerning the commute from Huntersville:

"The commute in from Exit 23 / 25 in Huntersville is between 25 - 35 minutes on an average day. I used to do it every day until I started taking the bus, which I highly recommend. I would not want to live any further north than exit 25 and have to commute in to uptown or anywhere south of that. I've come in from Mooresville before and it's a tough commute on I-77 until you get to Exit 23 and they have the extra lanes."

Also, my wife and I live in a single family home in Monteith Park, and my sister lives in a townhome in Monteith and we all love it. There's a real good mix of people in the neighborhood - retirees, young families, singles.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:30 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,974 times
From Ballantyne you can take a bunch of local roads like Providence Rd, South Blvd, Rea Rd, etc. to uptown. From Huntersville, I-77 is really the only option.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:17 AM

549 posts, read 2,384,356 times
Blakeney Greens was finished in 2005! It sold pretty well and fast. Since when they were sold they ranged in the high 190's to the 240's. So they sold fast. I once meet Natalie Robertson the then sales-assistant for that community, she told me they had an auction for the Model (Norwood A) and it sold over 300K. Those homes from the Classic Collection have apreciated nicely. It is unlikely they will ever do a South Charlotte location again with the price increase on raw land.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
I have been here for a month looking at housesstaying in corporate housing in Huntersville.

Ballyntyne is MUCH better than Huntersville, it's quite lovely in fact. Huntersville reminds me of Edward Scissorhands neighborhood. lol

The house we just got is about 5 minutes from Ballantyne, and our second choice was in Ballantyne.

If you're going to uptown you'll have traffic no matter what..it's unavoidable.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times
You should look in our subdivision. It's called Blackstone it's in Wesley Chapel/Matthews. The houses are so beautiful!!! It's an all brick community too, which is a much better insulator for those AC bills. They are by Shea Builders and are top notch.

I think there are a few in your price range for sale. They are in the 3500-3700 sq. ft range and all have at least 3/4 acre of land. It's beautiful there, I can't wait to move in!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte