Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 02:35 PM

4 posts, read 3,181 times

Advertisements

Hi all, My husband and I are planning a move to NC in the next year or so, and looking primarily at Charlotte, although Raleigh is still on the radar. The biggest appeal of Charlotte over Raleigh is the convenience of a major airport. Our lives involve business and personal travel, as well as family dotted all over the US who we would like to encourage to visit with the convenience of a direct route.

I lived in Charlotte for a while in the 90s, but wow, has it grown! I see this as getting to know a new city. What I am hoping to hear from you all is feedback on the "flavor" of neighborhoods that might be a fit for us. (And if a Raleigh neighborhood stand out - speak up!)

Here's the rundown. We are a 40-something couple with no kids. I want to lean away from neighborhoods that are primarily families. I'd like a neighborhood/area with diversity of ages, occupations, and people from different areas. I like a get-to-know-your-neighbors kind of neighborhood.

Take occupations and commute times out of the equation. They are not an issue for us in this decision for a variety of reasons. We are looking for a home within a couple (ish) miles of amenities like restaurants (local café is perfect), movie theater, parks, and the grocery store. Being closer is appealing, but we are trying to find a balance between people/stuff and a little personal space. I do love the idea of being able to walk or bike to the coffee shop. We enjoy seeing local bands and going to festivals, the occasional gallery crawl. A short driving distance to parks and trails is ideal. Close to amenities *and* natural areas can be tricky - that's why I am consulting the forum! Our housing budget is around 700k and I like newer construction or a renovated home.

Davidson has gotten our attention. The sidewalks everywhere are fantastic! It seems to have a nice amount of commerce downtown and is drivable to Charlotte if something fun is happening there. It is drivable to Charlotte for a Friday night out, right?

Areas we are curious about run roughly south-east of the city and also Matthews. Any thoughts and feedback are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 02:48 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,394,589 times
In Charlotte, Dilworth, parts of Myers Park, Eastover. These are older established neighborhoods with well maintained/renovated houses.

Davidson is a 30 - 45 minute non-rush drive to Charlotte, depending on where in Charlotte you're headed. Personally, I wouldn't want to drive that far very often,but for a town its size, Davidson has a good bit of the things you're looking for.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:16 PM

Thank you cdawg. We have had our eye on those areas. I read that Dilworth has a lot of young families - what is your thought on that? Mostly strollers or mixed?

Old 09-30-2015, 03:38 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,074,166 times
1725 Truman Rd, Charlotte, NC 28205 | Zillow

I would buy this one.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:48 PM

Nice choice, Esseq!

Old 09-30-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italicize View Post
Thank you cdawg. We have had our eye on those areas. I read that Dilworth has a lot of young families - what is your thought on that? Mostly strollers or mixed?
Mixed.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
In Charlotte, Dilworth, parts of Myers Park, Eastover. These are older established neighborhoods with well maintained/renovated houses.

Davidson is a 30 - 45 minute non-rush drive to Charlotte, depending on where in Charlotte you're headed. Personally, I wouldn't want to drive that far very often,but for a town its size, Davidson has a good bit of the things you're looking for.
Meant 30 - 45 minute non-rush hour drive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte