Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte: crime index, revitalized areas, online research, color coded maps, year long rentals

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 05:52 PM

182 posts, read 556,245 times

Advertisements

A little apprehensive. Now I do know and understand that everyone has a different view of their life in Charlotte. While I do think it is a smart and economical move for my family and I; I read the reports & posts, I have to admit... I'm terrified.
My husband and I was last there (in Charlotte) in July 07, and we loved everyday we were there exploring. Now granted I live in West Palm Beach, FL (Pop. apprx. 89,000 city) compared to the City of Charlotte's 584,658 people) that the crime index will be a lot higher. But I have to admit I am a little bit concerned.
When I read your posts, I don't know in which direction to go in. I know to do my research)which I do when I find out more information, but research can only go so far, it takes actually living and interacting in these areas. That's why I was so glad that I found this site. I just wish I knew about it before we visited in July, then I could have been a little more informed.
Crime in W. Palm Beach (even with the lush beaches & resorts) is out of control.
In December 2006 a teenager was shoot and killed in my front yard of my duplex (and before your ask the neighborhood has been "revitalized" after the sheriffs office cleaned up the area and got rid od the rift-raft).
Now I really want to aviod revitalized areas to be honest, because IMO their is just to much of a chance that crime will still occur in that area )AAm I wrong, maybe).
So I guess my question is.... I Charlotte as bad as some people make it out to be. Because that would REALLY disappoint us when we have been preparing for this move for over a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 06:02 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,165,320 times
Charlotte is the largest city in NC so, of course crime will be higher here than in most other areas. Stay away from East Charlotte, and immediately North of the city. Most areas South seem safer. Remember that crime can and does happen anywhere. You can go online to charmeck.org and look at Neighborhoods, click on "2006 Quality of Life Study" and see color coded maps denoting crime rates in the city. Get a GOOD realtor that can help you find the right home and the right neighborhood.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:15 PM

92 posts, read 318,806 times
You could rent first. A year long rental goes by pretty quick but gives you time to dive into the area and find out what's right for you.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 PM

182 posts, read 556,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Charlotte is the largest city in NC so, of course crime will be higher here than in most other areas. Stay away from East Charlotte, and immediately North of the city. Most areas South seem safer. Remember that crime can and does happen anywhere. You can go online to charmeck.org and look at Neighborhoods, click on "2006 Quality of Life Study" and see color coded maps denoting crime rates in the city. Get a GOOD realtor that can help you find the right home and the right neighborhood.
Exactly,I do understand that with a city the size of Charlotte, that the crime will be higher. That's why I'm glad it didn't make the top 50 dangerous city lists. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html. So I guess I can breathe now. But, thank you, I've been looking for something like this. I really fell in love with the Steel Creek area, and my husband like the Northwest area. I think Cambridge was a neighborhood he liked. It was I think where 485 ended near to Carrabus County. I am going to search those areas, although I remember someone stating a few months ago that the Steel Creek area crime rate has risen. A fact I'm sure, but I will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn2shoes View Post
You could rent first. A year long rental goes by pretty quick but gives you time to dive into the area and find out what's right for you.
Yeah, that is our intention, just incase we really hate it. I seriously doubt it, but I rather not be locked into something. I was reading an article in the Charlotte Observer about the fast rate of foreclosures in certain neighborhoods, and it's correlation with crime. http://www.charlotte.com/253/story/397430.html
See now this article has me a little concerned because we intend on renting. I assume a homeowner would probably rent their homes to avoid foreclosure, so that means to an uninformed renter as myself will jump on a "good deal". So I need to also find a high foreclosure area map too. I really appreciate everyone advice.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 AM

44 posts, read 128,258 times
In Charlotte areas that have tons of new homes in lower cost neighborhoods are the areas you want to stay away from. Those are the areas where foreclosures are topping the charts. Like in the hidden valley area and sunset.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:24 PM

252 posts, read 882,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
Exactly,I do understand that with a city the size of Charlotte, that the crime will be higher. That's why I'm glad it didn't make the top 50 dangerous city lists. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html. So I guess I can breathe now. But, thank you, I've been looking for something like this. I really fell in love with the Steel Creek area, and my husband like the Northwest area. I think Cambridge was a neighborhood he liked. It was I think where 485 ended near to Carrabus County. I am going to search those areas, although I remember someone stating a few months ago that the Steel Creek area crime rate has risen. A fact I'm sure, but I will look into it.

Yeah, that is our intention, just incase we really hate it. I seriously doubt it, but I rather not be locked into something. I was reading an article in the Charlotte Observer about the fast rate of foreclosures in certain neighborhoods, and it's correlation with crime. http://www.charlotte.com/253/story/397430.html
See now this article has me a little concerned because we intend on renting. I assume a homeowner would probably rent their homes to avoid foreclosure, so that means to an uninformed renter as myself will jump on a "good deal". So I need to also find a high foreclosure area map too. I really appreciate everyone advice.
Steel Creek is a long way from Cabarrus County. I live there near 485. Its a growing area and there are some very nice deals. However be wary because when I first came here everything was a deal compared to NY. Its almost imnpossible to getr the feel of an area without living there firsr. Anything you here on this forum is that persons opinion which may be a lot different from your. Disect all the information here then go do some LIVE research and visit the areas. All have there good and bad ppoints. Good Luck

Old 01-12-2008, 02:45 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,446,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Most areas South seem safer.
Except for the area around Ballantyne with all of the break ins lately.

Neighbors on alert after Ballantyne break-ins 2:50 PM | Local News | News for Charlotte, North Carolina | WCNC.com | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-010908-ah-breakins.587b123.html - broken link)

Old 01-12-2008, 03:21 PM

672 posts, read 1,837,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorton View Post
Steel Creek is a long way from Cabarrus County. I live there near 485. Its a growing area and there are some very nice deals. However be wary because when I first came here everything was a deal compared to NY. Its almost imnpossible to getr the feel of an area without living there firsr. Anything you here on this forum is that persons opinion which may be a lot different from your. Disect all the information here then go do some LIVE research and visit the areas. All have there good and bad ppoints. Good Luck
Since I do live in the Steele Creek area I can comment that it does have its share of problems, crime being one of them. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't pick this part of Charlotte to call home. I love visiting Fort Mill, SC as it is 10 mins from Steele Creek and has better schools, wayyyyyyyyy less crime, and I just overall enjoy being in that area. Also I here Huntersville is a very nice location. Good Luck.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:10 PM
NCN

21,669 posts, read 25,760,985 times
Crime is according to where the criminal decides to strike next. I don't think you can truthfully say that any place is safe. I have learned to be alert. I am even redoing my landscaping in order to make sure there are no hiding places for would be criminals.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 AM

236 posts, read 554,925 times
We all have to become responsible in ridding our areas of crime. Because when a criminal leaves one area. He is on to the next. I did some crime stats for the Charlotte area, and noticed crime is spreading. Take back your neighborhood. Or it will become a hood. Criminals may target neighborhoods where no one is home. i.e. early morning, mid-day, and late at night. They will look for homes that are an easy mark. Criminals also study patterns of neighborhood residents. So must you study the criminal. Start a neighborhood watch group. Learn who your neighbors are. Be on the lookout for suspicious activity. Become involved in your community.

Many times some crimes are the neighborhood children or adults. This is somewhat true in lower income neighborhoods. Their are still very law abiding citizens in these areas. They also want to protect their property. Other times crimes are committed by friends of your neighbors, etc. People from areas not your own will commit crimes in your area. Crime has no morals. Stealing your peace of mind, safety, and personal items. Drugs, unemployment, and low income status is no justification for a crime. Neither is anything else. A burglar alarm is good. Becoming aware is better. You do not want to be a prisoner in your own home.

Safety tips:

1. Lock your windows and doors
2. Do not leave tools are mowers outside. (Especially if you have noticed a rash of crimes.)
3. Lock your car door and roll up the window. If you are going to leave your car outside for an extended period.
4. When arriving home late at night or leaving early morning. Have everything you need in hand. Take note of your surroundings.
5. Kidnappings or crimes against children. Do an internet or police search for pedophiles. Instruct your children to wait at the bus stop in numbers. If walking the same applies.
6. Talk to your children about stranger danger.
7. Do not go into areas deemed dangerous. If you are required as a social worker to go into high crime areas. Park your car where their is easy access. Only take into the home what is needed. Leave your purse or wallet at the office. I knew someone who went to a housing project to visit a client. He was robbed.
8. Know the friends of your children.

You can find safety tips all over the internet. Another need to know is your police department and sheriff office.

Safety is everyone's responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte