Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,394,144 times

Advertisements

Cam Newton was released from the Carolinas Medical Center on Wednesday morning after spending the night in the hospital following his Tuesday car accident.

The Panthers are calling Newton day-to-day. He's dealing with general soreness and two fractured transverse processes in his back. Newton is fully expected to sit out Week 15 against the Bucs, leaving Derek Anderson in the saddle as the starter. Anderson completed 24-of-34 passes for 230 yards and two touchdowns in a Week 1 spot start against Tampa Bay. He'll be on the DFS radar at minimum price. Newton has a shot to play Week 16 against Cleveland.

Dec 10 - 11:37 AM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 03:57 PM

373 posts, read 778,343 times
The idea of Cam Newton playing this week or next is ridiculous.
The smart thing to do for everyone involved is to take the rest of the season off and just heal.
Whether or not Cam can technically be cleared to play is beside the point.
At some point common sense needs to take over.

Cam has a bad ankle, broken ribs, and now two fractures in his lower back.
The idea of proving one's toughness needs to ne weighed against proving one's stupidity.
The decisions made in the present time regarding to play or not cannot be taken back two and three years down the road.
At what long term cost and at what short term win/loss record makes it worth destroying your health and ability to even do the job you are paid to do?

Finishing the year on the playing field for Cam Newton the remainder of this football season would be a poor choice, a costly health toll, and just simply greedy by any staff or ownership of the Carolina Panthers to pressure Cam to do so.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:58 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I don't see a reason for him not to play if he's medically cleared. Although it doesn't seem likely that he will be cleared for this week at this point.

If they lose without him, then yeah sit out the rest of the season. But as long as they still have a shot at the playoffs I'm sure he will play if he's cleared.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:09 PM

373 posts, read 778,343 times
What difference does making the playoffs make if Cam cannot walk when he is 40 years old?
What difference does it make if playing now adds months to the healing process and thus the same injuries carry into next season, when they can otherwise be dealt with now?
Having so many injuries increases the likeliness that new injuries can occur.

So, assuming the Panthers make the playoffs.
That s a few more games in the regular season of Cam's already injured body taking more of a beating.
Once in the playoffs, now the team will be up against the leagues top defenses and no more sorry teams.
That means Cam's body will take an even more severe pounding given the low quality play of our Offensive Line.

Common sense needs to prevail.
If I had a bad ankle, broken ribs, and fractured bones in my lower back, I would be taking a few weeks off of work at my job, as almost every human being on earth would.
There is no amount of money or fame worth destroying your body and health.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:37 PM

Which is why I only said if he's medically cleared. He looked pretty healthy on Sunday. If he's medically cleared then he shouldn't really have any more of a chance to "destroy his body and health" than normal. Unfortunately, as an NFL player it's his job to put his "body and health" at risk. That's part of the reason they get paid millions of dollars. And I'm sure he won't mind it if they have a chance to make the playoffs. If they make the playoffs, anything can happen, and you really don't know how many opportunities you'll have to play in the postseason. (and of course, if they make the playoffs then there will be a playoff game in Charlotte, which would be good for Charlotte)

Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
BREAKING NEWS

Cam Newton suffered from one helluva turnover on Tuesday. Fortunately, he was still in the pocket and was protected by the offensive line (AKA air bags). Newton was reported to say that his grandmother hits harder than that Buick and he will return to kick the crap out of the Falcons, and he just wanted a week off to let the Bucs think they have a shot at beating the Panthers.

All reporters were speechless that Newton would create such an elaborate rouse to make the Falcons think they had a shot at winning the division, and Mr. Newton would display his balls of solid brass at such a late date in the regular NFL season. Lady fans rejoiced at the idea.

David Gettleman was reported to say that he planned to gut the entire team in order to play out the plot line of the movie "Major League", but this cannot be confirmed. Credible sources have said, "Look at the Steve Smith cut, you idiot." Other sources say he has not been able to refill his anti-psychotic meds. This has nothing to do with the Newton wreck, but is worth mentioning.

According to an ER physician, Newton was said to be quite happy that the driver wasn't from Georgia or a fan of the Falcons, Bucs, Saints, and especially "any damn yankee team."

All BS aside, I'm glad he wasn't hurt too badly. I'm also kind of happy to see such a highly-paid athlete driving such a common vehicle. Here's to hoping he buys a Raptor with the insurance money. (Shameless Ford guy plug)

Old 12-11-2014, 05:40 AM

According to ESPN, CMPD says Newton was not at fault and was driving the speed limit. Out Sunday

Old 12-11-2014, 05:51 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
The other drive ran the stop sign. That has been established through several witnesses.

Why should Cam feel lucky he wasn't charged? It wasn't his damn fault.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:59 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
There is no amount of money or fame worth destroying your body and health.
Anyone who plays NFL, Hockey, Boxing, MMA, UFC disagrees with you.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:26 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
As I posted earlier in the thread, I had just gotten home from witnessing an accident when I saw this thread title. This is the second time I have seen a car flipped/rolled over in the last 2 months alone.

The one I saw the day before yesterday, it appeared that there was a car trying to make a left on 521 from a restaurant. A car t boned him or her and their car flipped. It's not that uncommon or shocking. It's unfortunate. I pray and hope everyone from both accidents are okay. The one I saw, the roof had crushed in, I don't know the condition of the person in that car but it was such a sad thing to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte