Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:11 PM

109 posts, read 613,046 times

Advertisements

Wondering what you think... those of you who live in Charlotte now, maybe just moved there, and those of you who have lived in Charlotte your entire lives. Is it difficult for newcomers to meet people and be included? What has been your experience?

We are still kicking around where to move next when hubby's assisgnment ends here in Northern Va... we've lived here for over 10 years and have our little network. I want out of here SO bad, the traffic, road rage, nasty people, driving 8 miles can take over an hour at rush hour!

I have no doubt we'll find jobs...hubby will find something with a government contractor (using his clearance) and I have a varied background and can look at several different things. Charlotte looks like a good possibility... nice sized city with lots to do and it doesn't look like ya'll get much snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 08:20 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,704,664 times
Well first off I think you will feel quite at home if you are from NoVa (the good things I mean). I am a native and rarely run into people who are unhappy in Charlotte (except for these boards once in a while). I know personally I wave and smile to dozens of people a day and am responded to in kind. People still say excuse me and the grocery clerks ask if you need help to your car. I love Charlotte and while it is rapidly growing, it still maintains its Southern Charm and will always be home to me no matter where my wife and I end up. On that note, my wife is from Peach County, GA (Middle GA) and got her masters from Memphis. So that's two different worlds: Southern Belle world versus ghettofabulous Memphis. She loves it here better than either. With the right attitude, I have no doubt you can make a nice home in Charlotte. The only suggestion I have is to land jobs before you make the move. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2007, 08:26 PM

92 posts, read 318,806 times
I like it. My dad got his first ticket in 35 years in this state and has been 10 days straight giving us good explitives about the UC policeman that wrote it...I told dad it was his VA tags that done him in...he needs to get them changed so he blends in better...

Old 12-26-2007, 08:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,759,230 times
You seem to have a very positive outlook and that will be a plus in relocating here.
This area is nice mix of people from here and those who have relocated from somewhere else.
I think if you can find a community with such a mix you will experience a good friendly community. Pay attention when you explore the area if you see people walking, hanging out in their backyards (if the weather is cooperating), how the attitude is at a local restaurant, coffee house and grocery store to get a vibe on attitude of the area.

I like the overall attitude here to me it not as friendly as Greensboro but it works for me.

Just an FYI they reported the last measurable snowfall on Christmas day in Charlotte was back in 1947.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:57 PM

578 posts, read 2,607,114 times
I moved here 4 months ago, and I couldn't tell you because I haven't really come across any natives! Everyone on our street is from another city....go figure....

Old 12-26-2007, 10:14 PM

41 posts, read 139,048 times
I think that it all depends. If you are white, they will welcome you with arms wide open. I had the chance to come to Charlotte, NC 3 years ago, and I have never feel so discriminated as I have here in Charlotte since I am not Caucasian. You will find plenty of country folks, specially old ladies who work mostly as waiters or clerks at the local businesses who all the time have smile in their faces and give a warm welcome to everyone who walks in. As soon as a non Caucasian walks in, their smile disappears and they turn out to be simply put rude and bitter.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 PM

369 posts, read 377,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinom1 View Post
I think that it all depends. If you are white, they will welcome you with arms wide open. I had the chance to come to Charlotte, NC 3 years ago, and I have never feel so discriminated as I have here in Charlotte since I am not Caucasian. You will find plenty of country folks, specially old ladies who work mostly as waiters or clerks at the local businesses who all the time have smile in their faces and give a warm welcome to everyone who walks in. As soon as a non Caucasian walks in, their smile disappears and they turn out to be simply put rude and bitter.
Oh, wow.... I hope I don't have that experience when/if I move there. That would be messed up.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:17 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,518,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
The only suggestion I have is to land jobs before you make the move.
I agree with this statement 100% Having a job before you move makes things soooo much easier.

Where in NoVa are you coming from? DH and I moved to Charlotte in October after a 7 month stint in Raleigh. Before that, we lived in Alexandria for 9 years.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:45 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,882,485 times
I agree about finding a job before you move. People often assume that jobs are plentiful here but they aren't too easy to find when you need one

And the majority of people here are nice. I live in Gaston Co. and have worked in Charlotte for over 10 years now. I'm amazed how there is always someone who will chime in and say they are treated poorly all the time because they are not white. I just don't understand this at all. We are not living in "Gone with the Wind" times. Most people are friendly when they are treated the same. If someone cops an attitude with me, you better believe I can cop one right back regardless of gender or race. Does that make me a racist? No. It makes me human.

There are A LOT of people in Charlotte who have moved from other places so it's kind of hard to find those folks who are from here. So maybe some of those that are being treated poorly are running into those people. I don't know. It's the same anywhere. You have to get out and make an effort to meet people. They won't just walk up to your door (they might depending on your neighborhood) but if you put forth the effort to fit in, you will.

Good luck with your decision and hope you find Charlotte will work for you!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:51 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,704,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lucas View Post
Oh, wow.... I hope I don't have that experience when/if I move there. That would be messed up.
Frank, these people don't have a clue. Please don't worry about anything. The only place you will ever avoid ANY discrimination is Mars, and it may be another lifetime before you can relocate there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: