Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 01:33 PM

28 posts, read 43,454 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am looking for anyone who either lives in the Ballantyne Country Club subdivision or The Point subdivision (or is familiar with them) who can give me an idea of what it's like to live in the community.

After 2 trips to NC and seeing many homes in various subdivisions, we are torn between a house at Ballantyne Country Club and The Point. This will be our summer home and we will also go there during the various school breaks throughout the year. We have an almost 10 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. School systems aren't a deciding factor since the kids won't be going to school in NC, but they both seem good enough that the property has good value. Commute times aren't that relevant, since we will probably go to Charlotte to see major attractions occasionally during our stay.

My main plan is to have the kids heavily involved in the Country Club activities for kids, and during the summer, the camp activities. I will also try to take advantage of as many activities offered for adults and any Women's groups.

I am looking for someone to tell me:

1. What is the culture like? Are people open to meeting new people and making new friendships? Are the kids welcoming to other kids, or is it "cliquey"?

2. Are your kids enrolled in the camp programs? What are they like, and are the camps well attended by the older kids (9-12 years old) as well as little ones?

3. Do kids take part in all of the special activities offered throughout the year, or is it just a small group?

4. Is there anyone who belongs to the big JCC and how is Camp Mindy?

5. Would you say that Ballantine or The Point (whichever applies) is highly social and activity driven?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and for any insight you can offer!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 03:16 PM

125 posts, read 243,384 times
I can only give you a superficial opinion of both areas. Ballantyne Country Club would be, from what I have experienced, a more social experience. But, if I am not mistaken, the houses in The Point are on the lake. That would be a selling point for me, if you are into boating. We moved from San Francisco a few years ago and kept our house out West as a vacation/work house. Our current house is on Lake Wylie because I love the water. If you don't like the water, Ballantyne for the more social environment, but if you do than I would say The Point. But that is just me.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:59 PM

Thanks for your opinion, it really does help to hear other people's point of view! About half of the homes at The Point are on the water -- but, the house we are looking to buy is not on the water because a waterfront home is just more than we want to spend on a second home. However the Country Club dining rooms, gym, and other facilities all overlook the water, and I felt more like I was at a resort because of the lake. For us, the Lake is more about the view because we are not into boating -- but we do get a deeded boat slip with the house, and down the line, may take advantage of it.

Is your experience with Ballantyne Country Club because you've been there or you know people who live there?

Thanks again for giving your views!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:32 PM

My business partner lives in the Ballantyne Country Club. We visit often and go golfing when the weather permits it. The area is very nice as you probably have already experienced. He says it can be a little cliquey but not nearly as bad as the area we live in back in San Francisco. We have had multiple cook outs with his neighbors and have simply seen people walking by and just invite them to the party, they are all extremely friendly and sometimes pretentious but lets be honest what wealthy neighborhood isn't. Ballantyne Country Club is probably more family friendly but that boat slip does sound pretty awesome haha. If you have any other questions just ask.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the insight! I am pretty confident that the people at Ballantyne CC are social and friendly, I am just so incredibly torn b/c I am wondering if a house at The Point will be a more fun summer home -- but I am unsure if it will have enough young families with kids for us to socialize with b/c I don't know anyone who lives there to ask.

I also am concerned that that the 9-10 year old kids that are my daughter's age already have their year round friends and activities outside the Country Clubs, and it will be filled with only little kids.

Other than the lake, I think the amenities are pretty on par with each other, but when we visited, The Point felt more vacation like -- I guess bc of the water. Wish I had some insight on living at The Point -- visiting just doesn't give a full picture.

Thanks again!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
The point hands down. It has to be one of the best clubs in charlotte area.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:06 PM

Flew into the Concord Airport this morning so I thought I would check out The Point while I was in the area..... I would second tread102's post ten folds. Beautiful area, Ballantyne Country Club is nice but The Point is a step above. Don't worry about your neighbors, it is the south, the sun down here can turn even the most bitter New Yorker into Mother Theresa. Before we officially moved our permanent residency to Charlotte from San Fran our house here was used as a summer home and my kids had no problem fitting in, they did summer sports and went to camp a couple times, you and your kids will be a-okay.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:51 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
^ I'm with jakekansas, Ballantyne CC is a great neighborhood but given a choice between the two, assuming boating is a desire, I'd pick The Pointe. My broker who lived in Midwest bought a lakefront home 4 years ago to spend summer to see if his wife and 10 year old would like area with the idea they would move there full time. 2 years ago they sold their houses up north and bought a house on the golf course at The Pointe and are very happy. They still have the lakefront home to keep their boat and use as guest house.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:33 PM

119 posts, read 160,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Mom_to_NC View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for anyone who either lives in the Ballantyne Country Club subdivision or The Point subdivision (or is familiar with them) who can give me an idea of what it's like to live in the community.

After 2 trips to NC and seeing many homes in various subdivisions, we are torn between a house at Ballantyne Country Club and The Point. This will be our summer home and we will also go there during the various school breaks throughout the year. We have an almost 10 year old daughter and a 3 year old son. School systems aren't a deciding factor since the kids won't be going to school in NC, but they both seem good enough that the property has good value. Commute times aren't that relevant, since we will probably go to Charlotte to see major attractions occasionally during our stay.

My main plan is to have the kids heavily involved in the Country Club activities for kids, and during the summer, the camp activities. I will also try to take advantage of as many activities offered for adults and any Women's groups.

I am looking for someone to tell me:

1. What is the culture like? Are people open to meeting new people and making new friendships? Are the kids welcoming to other kids, or is it "cliquey"?

2. Are your kids enrolled in the camp programs? What are they like, and are the camps well attended by the older kids (9-12 years old) as well as little ones?

3. Do kids take part in all of the special activities offered throughout the year, or is it just a small group?

4. Is there anyone who belongs to the big JCC and how is Camp Mindy?

5. Would you say that Ballantine or The Point (whichever applies) is highly social and activity driven?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this, and for any insight you can offer!

If I had the money you can Point me right to the Point!! hands down!

Old 04-16-2014, 05:20 AM

186 posts, read 287,271 times
I can't give any information on The Point, because I've never been there, but we did belong to BCC, so I can give insight there. We had a 4 year old and 1 year old at the time and we were very impressed by the social schedule for kids. You can drop your kids off any day while you golf, swim, play tennis and they also have special events for kids at least three or four times a week. The other people in the neighborhood were very nice and there were lots of kids. Also, South Charlotte has tons of options for day camps in the summer. It is easy to fill your kid's calendar without going to JCC. Check out the Charlotte Parent website for a list of summer camps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte