Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2006, 10:06 PM

179 posts, read 583,291 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We've just returned from our trip to Charlotte for the cup race, and to look around some for an area where we hope to retire. This trip kind of centered on Harrisburg, and we did in fact really like the area. Some beautiful new homes (which all seem to be on a 1/2 acre tops), and alot of existing, but just as nice homes on larger properties. Is Harrisburg in fact an area where if we couldn't find what we wanted as far as an existing home, an area where we might find a nice 2-3 acres for building (we prefer a single level home) ? Am I way off base with what I'm looking for in this area ? Any suggestions would be appreciated, heck I already have myself so confused, what's another few suggestions ? This is a move (from Connecticut, retirement) that we may be making as soon as next year, so we'd like to get started as soon as we find what we are looking for.

Thanks for any help, Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 06:10 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,841,873 times
Bill,

I think this is easily doable. Harrisburg is a great area. It is the hidden gem in my opinion. The only question I have for you. The same one I had for my parents if your going to retire here will you be able to keep up with 2 acres. Maybe an acre at most would be best? Just a thought.

Let me know if I can help you in anyway.

Last edited by CharlotteAgent; 10-19-2006 at 06:49 AM..

Old 10-19-2006, 06:48 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,913,221 times
I live in Concord and would highly recommend Harrisburg. Like charlotteagent said, what you're looking for in housing is very doable. We'd be glad to have you!!!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:52 PM

Thank you both, not only for replying, but for the positive words for Harrisburg. Although it will be for retirement, we both love gardening, and I would love to have room for a workshop for both woodworking, and car work. I will be 60 next year (not to old) and I want to be able to keep busy, so the 2 acres would be fine. We have an acre now, but still think a little more would be nice. Heck, I can always plant wildflowers out back if it gets to be to much someday.

Thanks again, Bill

CharlotteAgent, is that as in Real Estate agent ??

Old 10-19-2006, 04:53 PM

yes sir it is........

If you think you can handle the 2 acres in the next few years then I would then go for it!

Old 10-19-2006, 05:07 PM

CharlotteAgent,
WOW, that was quick. I asked that because we are not dealing with anyone at this point, other than asking a few questions about homes we've seen on line. We did look at Stallings Farm, and there were some really nice ranch homes there. Although we would like the 2 acres, we don't want a huge house, and these seemed close to what we would be looking for, or to have built. And my wife is certain she wants an all brick home, so these were very appealing, except for the 1/2 acre lots, and only 2 car garage. I looked at these also from a construction viewpoint (I'm an engineer for AT&T for 41 years) and the type of foundations down there are very different. If you are familiar with this development, can you tell me if this is typical of the type of construction used in that part of the country ? You're gonna be sorry you told me you're a RE agent, I ask tons of questions, haha.

Thanks, Bill

Old 10-19-2006, 05:09 PM

Bill,

I am going to Pm (private message)you so we can take our discussion to email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte