Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 AM

115 posts, read 228,988 times

Advertisements

I need a few restaurant recommendations. I am taking my 16 year-old-daughter and 6 of her girl friends out for dinner to celebrate her Sweet 16. Can I please get some suggestions for fun, young, hip restaurants that they would enjoy. Uptown would be great - we live in Union Co. and they want a restaurant in "the city". Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
If cost isn't an issue, The Melting Pot is a fun place for birthdays! Both times I've gone, there were sweet-16 parties happening. The one on Kings Dr. is close enough to downtown that you could spend time there either before or after your meal, and the layout of that one meant we weren't overwhelmed by noise from those aforementioned parties!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:51 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
What sort of food do they like?

Not sure what is classed as hip these days, cowfish sprung to mind.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:49 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
If you want a colorful place and in uptown, Mellow Mushroom is there. But I don't know if that's too casual/chain. If they like sushi, there is a really fun place there on south blvd, I am trying to think of the name. Nikko's? It was by the old Beezer corporate headquarters. And my bro loves Fujo also up there in uptown.

It isn't uptown, but Nakato is by the Carolina Place mall and there the chefs cook the food on the table in front of you. But I have heard hit or misses with them. Perhaps if you make reservations and mention it's for a party, they might be more festive. (heard that you get grumpy or really awesome chefs at your table)

Last edited by momtothree; 08-20-2013 at 08:04 AM..

Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 AM

115 posts, read 228,988 times
It's hard to say what they like. Teenagers! I guess they would eat any type of food but stick to the very basics, fettuccine alfredo, burgers, chicken and broccoli, etc. Most of them are not very adventurous. I love the Melting Pot, but can't afford t take 6 nor 7 girls there. I am having them check out Mellow Mushroom, and the sushi places. I wonder if they would find something they like at Cowfish? Hibachi good, but, again, to pricey for a party of eight. Anymore...

Old 08-20-2013, 09:55 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Sounds like Mellow Mushroom in uptown or ballantyne village (close to you) would fit the budget and should please teenagers.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:18 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Melting Pot

Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
cowfish sprung to mind.
I second that recommendation.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM

170 posts, read 458,628 times
I would recommend going to either Brixx Pizza at Seventh Street Station or Libretto's Pizzeria at the Epicentre and finishing up with some yogurt at Yoforia also in the Epicentre.

Cowfish is a good choice as well if you think they'll be fine going somewhere not located Uptown. Be warned, the wait for seating can be very lengthy......

Old 08-20-2013, 08:28 PM

128 posts, read 222,243 times
How about Cabo Fish Taco in NoDa on a Friday night when they are having a gallery crawl - quite fun to walk around and see what's happening. Or check out the line up at the Evening Muse. Top it off with a stop for coffee at Smelly Cat. Or Zada Janes in Plaza Midwood with a stop at the DQ for the intersting people watching afterwards. Or the Fuel Pizza that is next to "the green" park (next to the convention center and St. Peter's Catholic) - you could ride the light rail into town for that (or to Brixx for that matter.) You could have a fun walk around uptown afterwards - the Mint Museum uptown is free on Wednesday night. Or try Ten Pin (what used to be Park Road bowling alley) for a very fun hip restaurant attached to re-done bowling alley. Or if they really want to feel grown up (and your budget can take it) try the tapas place across the street Good Food. Or try one of the Feast Food tours - you might be able to make a deal on a slow night there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte