Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 12:53 PM

64 posts, read 208,353 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Charlotte sometime after the first of the year. Seriously considering United Faith Christian Academy on Providence Rd for our 8th grade child. Does anyone have any experience with this school or church? It appears to be very similar to our school now (i.e. easier transition) but any input would be helpful.

Also, trying to decide safe neighborhoods that wouldn't be too far a drive. Most we are looking at are in MC. One in Union is Chatelaine?? Anyone know anything about it and how long it would take to drive from there to the school? School starts at 8:20. How much of a difference would that make?

Lots of decisions....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 PM

373 posts, read 1,472,506 times
I do know that at one time some of the teachers at the school did not hold NC teaching certificates. Public schools and private schools in NC are not subject to the same guidelines. I know some of the teachers did not actually have any higher education at all. The school has been through some changes over the past few years, so that may no longer be the case.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Do check to see that they are SACS or ACSI accredited - some of the teachers were not as qualified last time I knew someone there. There are other options if you are interested.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 11-07-2007 at 05:27 PM..

Old 11-07-2007, 06:20 PM

Oh, good question. Here is what their website says.

UFCA is accredited by:
NAPS (National Association of Private Schools)

UFCA is a member of:
ACTS(Association of Christian Teachers and Schools)
ACSI(the Association of Christian Schools International)
GCACS(the Greater Charlotte Area Christian Schools)

Old 11-07-2007, 07:05 PM

373 posts, read 1,472,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratgirl View Post
Oh, good question. Here is what their website says.

UFCA is accredited by:

UFCA is a member of:
ACTS(Association of Christian Teachers and Schools)
ACSI(the Association of Christian Schools International)
GCACS(the Greater Charlotte Area Christian Schools)
When you go to the ASCI website

ACSI.org - School (http://www.acsi.org/web2003/default.aspx?ID=2065&ConstitID=0012180 - broken link)

The ASCI website list them as no ASCI accredited, they are members (which means they pay a membership fee). I have not checked the other site, but it might be worthwhile.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Do check to see that they are SACS or ACSI accredited - some of the teachers were not as qualified last time I knew someone there. There are other options if you are interested.
What other options can you suggest?

Old 11-07-2007, 07:32 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratgirl View Post
What other options can you suggest?
My favorite, which I can highly recommend, is Charlotte Christian. Unfortunately, it is one of the more expensive ones I also like Covenant Day in Matthews and Providence Christian School. For a more fundamentalist environment you could look at Bible Baptist (also in Matthews, but on the Mint Hill side of hwy 74). Additionally, if you are interested, look at Charlotte Lutheran School Facts & Figures (broken link)

Old 11-07-2007, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,501 times
My granddaughter has been at UFCA for three years. The staff and administration has gone through some major changes in the last months. Seem to be all positive changes. She has flourished there. Drawbacks are same as most small private schools, but in my opinion, advantages far outweigh the negatives.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:09 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,671,150 times
I went to United Faith 16 years ago or so in the 5th and 6th grade, and I can say it didn't seem all that together. I know that's a long time ago, so I'm not sure how much credence that holds.

I went to BBCS 7-10th grade during the 90s. Yes, it's very fundamental and a very sheltered school. Not sure how the academics are now, but I was at the top of my class and would have ran out of courses to take had I not transferred out. Neither do they have a great athletic program if your kids are into sports. I would recommend Covenant Day School or Charlotte Christian, as both have great academic records and are practical in their teachings.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:12 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,912,606 times
The daughter of a friend attends BBCS in the third grade. On the one hand, I am impressed with the basic education that this child is receiving - she reads like a whiz at barely 8 years old. She is also learning basic math very well. How much of this is accreditable to the fact that she is a very bright little girl and how much to the school, I can't say. She has only six children in her class - the good and the bad news - very little variety. Finally, she reiterates some very fundamentalists concepts about society to me which are in keeping both with the school and with her parents' beliefs.

This school is not cheap - but is much less expensive than CCS. If one subscribes to the social beliefs that this school teaches, I suspect that it is a good school for the primary grades. I am concerned about the higher grades, however, and the limited variety of students. Before putting my child in such a small school I would consider all aspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte