Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 01:36 PM

88 posts, read 201,622 times

Advertisements

Most cities have several neighborhoods, so obviously some of them will be bad .
Here is my rundown of Memphis.

North Memphis - Very Bad
South Memphis - Very Bad
Whitehaven - Better but still pretty dangerous.
Hickory Hill - Lots of crime on one side not so much on the other not great even on nice side still several murders this year
East Memphis - Ok less violent crime.
Cordova - Nice but getting way to bad to be an exp. area New homes 170000
Germantown - Very exp. for the most part but nice several 250000+ homes
Collierville - More than Gtown but nice
Olive Branch, Ms - Small town nice
All other little areas- Bad

Will Charlotte be like this?

If I can't afford a 250000+ home will I be in a dangerous/ somewhat dangerous area.

Another little tidbit out of the areas listed with names. I am only truly comfortable in 4 after dark.

Please confirm that Charlotte is not like this. I am really looking forward to moving there but I am noticing more and more crime stories on the net.

BTW I checked cnn for most dangerous cities, Memphis # 5 Charlotte not on list. Other site it comes in at 13 but still no Charlotte. So I guess that really answers my question but I would like some reinforcement from people in Charlotte. Do you have to live in less than half the city to stay safe like here in Memphis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 18,756 times
West Charlotte - usually not good
East Charlotte - somewhat bad
South Charlotte - not bad
North Charlotte - not bad
Union County area (Matthews, Monroe, Weddington, Waxhaw) - pretty good
Cabarrus County area - pretty good
Huntersville/Cornelius - pretty good
Fort Mill, SC/York County area - not bad
Lancaster County, SC - not bad
Gaston County area - some good, some bad from what I know...which isn't much

All areas have their share of crime. Some more than others.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:18 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,431,388 times
There is crime all over (I used to live in West Charlotte). Charlotte's and Mecklenburg County's crime statisic are posted on CMPD.org website. You can also see a map of where most the crime happens. University City area in North Charlotte is seeing a pretty good jump in crime around the college Western Union County (where I live now) has more crime than gets published (nothing super serious, mostly B&E, car theft, vandalism etc.), the remainder of the county is pretty tame.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:50 PM

716 posts, read 2,163,113 times
I guess it really depends on what you consider "bad" too. I mean granted, murder is definitely worse than B&E or car theft, but they're all "bad." I know some people that have been so scared off by tales of NYC that they will never go because they've heard it's "bad!" And it's a shame because just like any city, maybe you shouldn't walk down dark alleys alone at night, but if you're smart, you'll be fine.

There seems to be lots of property crime in all areas of Charlotte, but some of the more severe crimes are more prevalent in certain areas. I know ideally we would all love to live in an area with no crime, but I'd wager a guess that it's not totally dependent upon economic status. When I worked in South Park the stores next to us seemed to get held up at gunpoint more often than I would like, (read: ever) and that's one of the highest income areas.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:07 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,684,463 times
My wife got her Masters in Speech and Language Pathology from U of M, and couldn't WAIT to get outta there! I can tell you that she hated the place and will never go back because of the crime. In fact, she got her dog for defense purposes (long story). She loves Charlotte and in no way does it resemble ghetto Memphis. I'll let her elaborate to this post when she wakes up in the morning.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte