Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times

Advertisements

To complete the region’s transit system – including a streetcar to the airport, commuter rail to Lake Norman, and rapid transit along Independence Boulevard – the county may need an additional half-cent sales tax for transit, according to a draft report released Monday.

These are the reasons I think this is a very bad idea.
It was already agreed on the half cent tax. Raising another half will make the tax rate 8%.
Governor McCrory plan will soon tax services that include haircuts, car wash, dentist and such. This will make up for the short fall CATS had during recession.
In four years McCrory plans to have income tax eliminated this could cause Mecklenburg tax rate be 12%

I think street-cars is governments way of fleecing taxpayers. In the old days when they was popular private business funded them.

People want to move rapidly from point A to point B and not on slow moving street-car.
Why on earth are we investing on past technology when we should be investing on innovative fast moving future technology.

A big red flag that Charlotte is about to get screwed is by looking at our sister queen city Cincinnati, its Streetcar Has $17.4 Million Shortfall, "Needs More Funding"
https://www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...4-million.html

I do not see a turtle pace street-car or a slow locomotive that stops every two miles to a middle of no where Mt. Mourne will reduce congestion.

If these are such wonderful projects let private companies pay for them or pay for them with marketing rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 08:21 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Have you been to Cincinnati? Beautiful city from the second floor up but in 2008 when we were looking to relocate they were still talking about the racial tensions and the riots of 2000.

The white flight in that city was amazing after 5 PM. I was with my wife and we were trying to small talk with people about the city and it like Will Smith in I Am Legend.

"oh no's... the sun is setting, I gotta go...it used to be nice but... umm, (as she looks over her shoulder) I gotta go and if you are smart, you will go too"

Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Have you been to Cincinnati? Beautiful city from the second floor up but in 2008 when we were looking to relocate they were still talking about the racial tensions and the riots of 2000.

The white flight in that city was amazing after 5 PM. I was with my wife and we were trying to small talk with people about the city and it like Will Smith in I Am Legend.

"oh no's... the sun is setting, I gotta go...it used to be nice but... umm, (as she looks over her shoulder) I gotta go and if you are smart, you will go too"

Yes, love Kings Island except 'The Beast it is worse than 'The Hurler' my back hurts just thinking about it. . Your right Cinnicinati was very gritty but not as bad as Short North Columbus. It was raining when we was downtown so couldnt see anyone beyond the umbrella.

Anyways the point is we should learn from other cities and not make the same mistakes.
Im going regret saying it because it will attract 'them like flies but even with Atlanta its still having traffic issues.
If Charlotte going to invest in rail subways move faster than a pokey streetcar money pit.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 AM

78 posts, read 100,823 times
I'm fairly certain a subway costs about $400 million/mile to build. Light rail I think you have a fair argument. But Charlotte has no where near the density to develop a subway line (heavy rail).

Old 05-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah59396 View Post
I'm fairly certain a subway costs about $400 million/mile to build. Light rail I think you have a fair argument. But Charlotte has no where near the density to develop a subway line (heavy rail).
I totally agree but if we are going to fleece the citizens at least do it productive.
I think the rail projects are stupid. Only reason I bother with the light rail is it cheaper than parking Uptown.
Cars was invented for the mobility to go to various parts of a city in any direction where transit is linear.

If this proposal makes it to city council , this is only time Im glad of GA we have as they will shoot it down.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I totally agree but if we are going to fleece the citizens at least do it productive.
I think the rail projects are stupid. Only reason I bother with the light rail is it cheaper than parking Uptown.
Cars was invented for the mobility to go to various parts of a city in any direction where transit is linear.

If this proposal makes it to city council , this is only time Im glad of GA we have as they will shoot it down.

Yeah I'm just going to go ahead and bow out of this one.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,367 times
I support the MTC and the 1/2 cent transit tax. However I agree with Sunny, I don't support this tax increase. I think what really needs to happen is that CATS needs to be reorganized, and placed under a regional authority to make it more efficient.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I support the MTC and the 1/2 cent transit tax. However I agree with Sunny, I don't support this tax increase. I think what really needs to happen is that CATS needs to be reorganized, and placed under a regional authority to make it more efficient.
I'm on the fence about the tax (shocker I know) but I'm with you on the authority. I think the scope of our transit system is reaching a point where it is a necessity for future development.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM

That was the point I made in my original post the 1/2 cent is already agreed on.
As proof on what I stated in OP, the sales tax is going up 3.5% under McCrory plan https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...tax-hikes.html.
This and the new service tax will make up for loss ground the revenue CATS loss.
I like the idea of an authority.

Then the authority can over see in getting bids from private sector to fund.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:09 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ah59396 View Post
I'm on the fence about the tax (shocker I know) but I'm with you on the authority. I think the scope of our transit system is reaching a point where it is a necessity for future development.
But at what deferred cost? Eventually a large majority of the planned system will get built at a much higher materials, labor and overall construction cost down the road. Maybe the 1/2 cents tax has to become a full cent tax to make the transit projects feasible as a result of kicking the proverbial can down the road. No one likes tax hikes, not now and not in the future. So, if it can be now, do it...meaning if the 1/2 cent tax gets approval, if not oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte