Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2006, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,498 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I currently live in Rhode Island and am seriously thinking about moving to Gastonia(outside Charlotte). the house prices here are an average of $300,000 and housing taxes are about $500 per month. A 2 bed room apartment in a crappy area is about $900 a month. Insurance is high. It's becoming immpossible to live. I am 26 years old and married and would like to have a child and a house. I've been looking into Gastonia and it seems nice. I'm a machinist by trade and I noticed that there are machine shops everywhere down there. A very booming manufacturing state, and it seems I can make down there what I make up here and live cheaper. I do have some questions though. Everyone keeps telling me that the bugs down there suck. Is thre a big bug problem in NC? Fire ants? Spiders? Roaches? Is it unbearable if there are? Someone even said there were alligators???? I don't belive that one though. How is the crime? Hopefully low. Lastly are the people in NC welcoming to northeners coming down there? Like I said all I've heard are these rumors so I'd like to hear it from people tjhat live there. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2006, 12:11 PM

58 posts, read 344,537 times
The bugs are annoying for cookouts and if you love a clean car, but are not unbearable, they can be taken care of with some bug spray or repellant. A lot of the people down here are northerners so there isn't too much of a problem with acceptance anymore. I wouldn't reccomend Gastonia to anyone.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:14 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,837,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhamanJB
Hello everyone. I currently live in Rhode Island and am seriously thinking about moving to Gastonia(outside Charlotte). the house prices here are an average of $300,000 and housing taxes are about $500 per month. A 2 bed room apartment in a crappy area is about $900 a month. Insurance is high. It's becoming immpossible to live. I am 26 years old and married and would like to have a child and a house. I've been looking into Gastonia and it seems nice. I'm a machinist by trade and I noticed that there are machine shops everywhere down there. A very booming manufacturing state, and it seems I can make down there what I make up here and live cheaper. I do have some questions though. Everyone keeps telling me that the bugs down there suck. Is thre a big bug problem in NC? Fire ants? Spiders? Roaches? Is it unbearable if there are? Someone even said there were alligators???? I don't belive that one though. How is the crime? Hopefully low. Lastly are the people in NC welcoming to northeners coming down there? Like I said all I've heard are these rumors so I'd like to hear it from people tjhat live there. Any info would be helpful. Thanks
I do have some questions though. Everyone keeps telling me that the bugs down there suck. Is thre a big bug problem in NC? Fire ants? Spiders? Roaches? Is it unbearable if there are? They are not to bad. The fire ants can be a little much but if you get them at the beginning of the season it is ok. All can be contolled fairly easily.

even said there were alligators???? Not around the Charlotte metro area.

the crime? Hopefully low. Iwould say yes for the most part. But as with any growing area it is to be expected.

[i]Lastly are the people in NC welcoming to northeners coming down there?[/I] Yes Northerners are welcome While there are still some that would perfer you not to come the majority of us enjoy the Pizzerias you bring

Gastonia in my opinion is a nice little secret. Mcadenville is about to have a complete overhaul with a huge neighborhood about to be built. Also there is a white water park that will be opening soon. They also have mountain bike trails etc. Also once 485 opens up you will be mins from any part of Charlotte.

Good Luck!

Old 08-08-2006, 02:43 PM

44 posts, read 171,131 times
I agree with everything CharlotteAgent said. Not sure why Gastonia has such a bad reputation...yes, there are bad areas but those are in every city.
There are also some great small towns between Gastonia and Charlotte - McAdenville (as mentioned before), Belmont and Mount Holly are quick commutes to Gastonia and Charlotte.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 PM

68 posts, read 284,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkruk View Post
I wouldn't reccomend Gastonia to anyone.
Well, I cant argue with all those facts you laid out.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 PM

237 posts, read 299,046 times
Work in Gastonia and spend most of my waking hours there. Wish I had just bought in Gaston county (Gastonia itself, the city, has many rough patches as is common knowledge) the county as a whole is large and has many great areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte