Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:05 PM

9 posts, read 10,189 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am relocating my life from LA in a year and seriously considering Charlotte as my new home. I am an LA transplant from the Midwest. I am currently an Executive Assistant who wishes to know the current job market in Charlotte. I also wish to transition into a Real Estate career in a couple of years and want to know how viable that option would be in Charlotte. I will be visiting the area at the end of the year and wish to know areas that have good, safe living with nice shopping and nice people. I am simply over the LA lifestyle. I moved here for my children and family and now I just want a slower, happier more steady way of life for myself. I can pay rent from $700-$900 a month but it is very important to me that I move someplace where I can quickly gain employment.
Any advice offered is greatly appreciated! thank you!
M.

Last edited by monet301; 08-12-2012 at 12:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,130,443 times
You may get better results by posting in the Charleston forum. This is the Charlotte forum. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:30 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,055,324 times
Hi, Monet,

Jobs here in your field are quite scarce. There are many, many over qualified people filling these roles. quickly. You should work on having the job in hand BEFORE you move.

I guess that you could say life in Charlotte is about a medium between LA and the midwest. There is a definite culture difference. We have 4 distinct seasons with some weather extremes...certainly NOT the midwest, but, certainly greater than So Cal.

Your rental budget is somewhat low; to live in a nicer area, you would need to pay a little more.

Start working now to see if you can obtain the employment; then, by the time you are actually ready to move, you will be able to.

Good Luck!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 AM

34,130 posts, read 83,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monet301 View Post
I am relocating my life from LA in a year and seriously considering <insert town name here>...
I am an LA transplant from the Midwest.
Are you *also* seriously considering a move back to the MidWest? You should.
Like the town you're originally from that probably still has family and friends...
which town is that btw?

Old 08-12-2012, 09:19 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,906,887 times
There are plenty of jobs for individuals with good resumes. But, that is a big factor. There are many places that are hiring, but there are lots of people on unemployment here where many are not competitive with someone with a good, steady work record. We are a very transient city and many of those unemployed are from other places that came here without jobs and got stuck during the recession thing thinking that O would make things better. Didn't happen. The 9% plus unemployment is significant if you are not competitive. But, you made a good choice coming here for your children. There are some great neighborhoods but you might want to look at real estate/rental books about finding a place in your budget range. A two or tree bedroom generally starts in the $800-$900 range but can be found. Good luck. Someone eluded that there was a cultural difference without explaining. If you live in L.A., you are in the second largest city in the U.S. and I am sure that you are intelligent enough to be aware that Charlotte is much smaller and there are differences. However, Charlotte is loaded with culture and you will not be deprived of anything. By the way, I am not a life long Charlottean, just trying to help.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 10,189 times
MrRatational - i am originally from Detroit, but not going back home ever. It is Charlotte, Charleston or Ft. Lauderdale for me

Old 08-12-2012, 06:18 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,823,666 times
You wanted an honest opinion so I'll give you one - the job market in Charlotte is very tight. Unofficially the unemployment rated is at least 13%.

Don't let that stop you from looking, just be aware of what you might be facing

Last edited by lovesMountains; 08-12-2012 at 06:28 PM..

Old 08-12-2012, 07:19 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,983,588 times
If you're weighing Charlotte and Charleston, I suggest moving to Columbia SC and continuing the job search there as well as those two cities. If you find work in Columbia you're still only a few hours' drive of the other two, and can continue to get familiar with them and go on interviews. Columbia is not bad, it's not as urbane as Charlotte but it's a sizeable city with proper amenities.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:53 AM

34,130 posts, read 83,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monet301 View Post
originally from Detroit...It is Charlotte, Charleston or Ft. Lauderdale for me
Setting aside the idea of moving 3000 miles (vs 300)...
whichever city you finally end up with should be based on a solid reason.
Today... the #1 solid reason is employment.

Good luck.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:08 PM

7 posts, read 12,639 times
I am also planning to relocate to the Charlotte area from California. I work in the health and human services field; right now I work with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. I have also worked with at a university, in volunteer management, and with the homeless, so my experience is quite diverse. I am applying for every job that becomes available, with no luck at all. I am starting to feel discouraged but keep putting out my resume. I wonder if I am not getting any hits because I am 2800 miles away and people who are hiring want to hire local people. I am, also, beginning to wonder if I should just make a go and move out there, without a job, but in all honesty that scares the crap out of me.

Compared to California, there are a ton of jobs in NC and even SC. I am down to moving to SC too, like Columbia....

I am tired of California and just really want out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte