Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 12:05 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,090,185 times

Advertisements

What's involved in general septic maintenance?

We have a 10 year old home. We have lived in it for 6 years. As far as I know, there's never been any type of maintenance done to it.

I would like to look into this before we have an expensive problem.

Any input/guidance is appreciated.

Thank you kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 03:36 PM

441 posts, read 1,488,612 times
Be smart about what you put in th toilet and sink and you'll be fine. I have been told to use rid-x by some and told not to waste my money by others. From what I understand, a properly functioning system will not need much service at all. Our system was installed in the early 70s and other than a couple of line issues at the tank I have only pumped it maybe 3 times. And that is excessive except I just found out recently the line going out was missing a vital part. Fixed it myself after having it pumped and all has been well. The biggest problem I have had is multiple teens taking extended showers! That 80 gallon hot water heater wasn't as smart of an idea as I thought it was!
Is your system a standard or a low pressure type with an electric pump?
Do you have any trees near the outfall lines? Roots can be a problem, and some trees will overtake the lines.
Again, only toilet paper, little to no chemicals such as bleach, no feminine products, and I wouldn't give it a second thought till it gives you problems. Typically, they will come on slow, so you will know before it becomes an emergency.
Mine is the old standard gravity type, someone with a two tank low pressure system my have different info for you.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,201,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
Be smart about what you put in th toilet and sink and you'll be fine. I have been told to use rid-x by some and told not to waste my money by others. From what I understand, a properly functioning system will not need much service at all. Our system was installed in the early 70s and other than a couple of line issues at the tank I have only pumped it maybe 3 times. And that is excessive except I just found out recently the line going out was missing a vital part. Fixed it myself after having it pumped and all has been well. The biggest problem I have had is multiple teens taking extended showers! That 80 gallon hot water heater wasn't as smart of an idea as I thought it was!
Is your system a standard or a low pressure type with an electric pump?
Do you have any trees near the outfall lines? Roots can be a problem, and some trees will overtake the lines.
Again, only toilet paper, little to no chemicals such as bleach, no feminine products, and I wouldn't give it a second thought till it gives you problems. Typically, they will come on slow, so you will know before it becomes an emergency.
Mine is the old standard gravity type, someone with a two tank low pressure system my have different info for you.
Very interesting... I've never had a septic tank, but I'm wondering how you keep chemicals out of the tank?

Can't use bleach in your washing machine? Can't use bleach for general cleaning? The OCD cleaner in me would have fits, lol!

Old 05-27-2012, 10:17 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,355,257 times
Is there any regulation on detergent/chemical companies putting "safe for septic tanks" on their products? I had a bad drain clog and used some thing that claimed it was safe for septic tanks yet was so powerful that it came in a plastic bag...not sure how that made it safe for septic tanks

Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 PM

441 posts, read 1,488,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Very interesting... I've never had a septic tank, but I'm wondering how you keep chemicals out of the tank?

Can't use bleach in your washing machine? Can't use bleach for general cleaning? The OCD cleaner in me would have fits, lol!
Most washer drains bypass the tank. Septic systems create a bacteria that decomposes the waste. Chemicals will kill the bacteria which will hamper the effectiveness of the system. I still use cleaners, but this has probably effected the intervals for service. FYI, Ive been called OCD too and bleach is my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Is there any regulation on detergent/chemical companies putting "safe for septic tanks" on their products? I had a bad drain clog and used some thing that claimed it was safe for septic tanks yet was so powerful that it came in a plastic bag...not sure how that made it safe for septic tanks
I have never looked for septic safe products. I feel the toilet paper companies kinda keep that in mind. Septic systems are primarily made up of concrete and PVC components, so no worries there. I steer away from drain cleaners due to the acids they use. Very harsh on other parts of the plumbing, IMO. Most clogs are within reach of a coat hanger, plunger, snake or even removing the trap(the U in the pipes under a sink) very simple. I'm sure YouTube has tons of voids on the subject.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:27 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,561,179 times
Don't know about chemicals, years ago they said to flush yeast down the toilet. I have owned 3 houses with septic and they advise to have it pumped out every 3 years, depending on usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte