Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 12:51 AM

7 posts, read 26,430 times

Advertisements

To anyone out there who's been to a rehearsal dinner in the last year.....I need advice!

My (only child) son is getting married early 2008. I am soooo out of the loop on what I need to do here. It'll be a big wedding (300+ people). The rehearsal dinner is our responsibility, of course. Probably 75-100 people. Looking for Italian. Prefer the South park area, or close to it.

I'm thinking Maggiano's. We love Brio, but I don't think thay have the facilities. Any thoughts, advice, and "learned from experience" info would be appreciated. Not just about venue...anything you want to add will be appreciated!

Like - is there anything else I'm supposed to do? (gift, luncheon, shower, etc.) I love my soon-to-be daughter in law. I don't want to be too pushy, or cross any lines I shouldn't ---but it seems like I'm already getting squashed a bit on the input thing.

A good friend of mine recently went through this with her son. She passed this advice along (told to her by a good ole' Southern matron).

"You're the groom's mom.... so just shut -up and wear beige"

(Yikes!!! )

Thanks for any advice -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 01:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times
Hi good luck with your event.
The groom's parents is only responsible for the rehearsal dinner and that is it anything else is just complimentary so other than dinner just a wedding gift from their wedding registry the couple to be has made.

You can never go wrong with the Etiquette diva herself Emily Post.
here is her suggestion on handling Rehearsal Dinner and hopefully some will chime in good places to hold the dinner.

It is really important for the dinner to be close to the wedding location!!!

Emily Post's Wedding Planner for Moms

Old 09-19-2007, 02:58 AM

755 posts, read 2,495,429 times
I helped my parents do my brother's rehearsal dinner and we decided we wanted a big family party rather than a sit-down dinner.

We had a wonderful evening at the Red Fez Club on Lake Wylie and ate barbecue. It wasn't close to the wedding location, so we got a bus to ferry everyone to and from the hotel where all the out-of-town guests were staying. Then no worries about maps, directions, or drinking and driving.

It was a lot of fun.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:08 AM

7 posts, read 26,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I helped my parents do my brother's rehearsal dinner and we decided we wanted a big family party rather than a sit-down dinner.

We had a wonderful evening at the Red Fez Club on Lake Wylie and ate barbecue. It wasn't close to the wedding location, so we got a bus to ferry everyone to and from the hotel where all the out-of-town guests were staying. Then no worries about maps, directions, or drinking and driving.

It was a lot of fun.

I like the bus idea....lots of "under 25" crowd coming, and I worry about that. Thanks for the reply!

Thanks

Old 09-19-2007, 08:06 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,325,649 times
I'm also a newly appointed mom-of-the-groom candidate. Wedding coming in summer of 2008. Want to go shopping for "beige" dresses with me? Keep me posted on what you learn...you make all the mistakes and I'll learn from you...LOL! Yes, that part about not having an opinion is very hard for me. Imagine that!

I'm sending out happy thoughts for YOU!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:08 AM

533 posts, read 1,835,860 times
wow, 75-100 for a rehearsal dinner? i am guessing there will be a lot of out of towners there! you aren't responsible for anything as these days most people/families don't follow traditional wedding customs anymore! so i think its very generous to pay for a rehearsal dinner of that size! are they only inviting bridal party w/guests and out of towners? i think maggiano's would be a great location for it!
as far as other tips, for invitations you can do a google search for wording for the invite and there are a ton of cute poems for them! if you're interested i can dig around my computer and find the wording i used on mine. are they having any type of theme for the wedding that you could incorporate into the dinner?
i think as far as dealing with the bride, in my opinion-it's best to offer input and advice when asked for it and that's about it-whether you are the mother of the bride or the future mother-in-law or whoever. no matter who's paying for it the decisions should be left for the bride and groom as it is their big day (again, my opinion).
good luck!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:48 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,442,516 times
Pick up a copy of Carlina Bride magazine. They have some great resources and advice in there. Taverna 100 uptown has the facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte