Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 04:02 PM

235 posts, read 731,122 times

Advertisements

Well it looks like we are on our own this year as we just moved here.
What goes on in Charlotte for Thanksgiving? any parades? and are there any restaurants that do anything special for that time. I don't think I feel like cooking just for the four of us and we can't afford to go back home for the holiday.
Any thoughts or ideas would be welcomed..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 04:23 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,096,566 times
I know/understand how you feel. We arrived in Charlotte November 2006. I felt the same way ... we were a little down about the holiday being "just us." As a rule of thumb, I used to avoid restaurants like the plague during the holidays as I felt like they overcharged and rushed you on out the door. But, we actually spent last Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter in Charlotte restaurants and all of the experiences were good. We did Red Rock Cafe on Thanksgiving, Tin Tin for Christmas and an Italian place in Ballantyne (the name escapes me) for Easter.

In prior years I split my time between working at a homeless shelter that I committed several hours a week to (extremely fulfilling to break bread with and especially to serve these folks) and then spending the evening with a house full of family members.

The Charlotte Observer will print a listing of whose open on the holiday. Most of them seem to do buffet style brunches.

Be warned though, the last time I posed this question here on the boards, I was chastised for "being a part of the problem" which forced people to work on holidays. I will tell you though, when I worked in the restaurant industry, I looked forward to working because of the opportunity to make extra money. And before I had my own family, I simply enjoyed being in the company of other people.

This year we haven't decided how Thanksgiving is going to work out. We are likely to be split up (sending the kids to their grandparents), DH might go to his mother's, etc. but for Christmas we've invited a bunch of folks to celebrate with us.

Good luck, whatever you decide! And welcome home.

Sincerely,

Sara

Old 09-16-2007, 04:37 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,991,965 times
Every Thanksgiving Day Charlotte has it's annual Carousel Parade. It usually starts at 1:00PM. It's not Macy's but it's a good parade ... of course it's televised too.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:14 PM

928 posts, read 3,856,717 times
South Park Lights the Christmas Tree on Thanksgiving, which turns into a huge event too. There will be many resturants that offer different levels of dining from casual to fine dining for thanksgiving dinner, just remember to make reservations early.

Good Luck. I've been on my own for 8 years and I do no not miss the stress and hustle and bustle of the holidays with the family.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:56 AM

235 posts, read 731,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I know/understand how you feel. We arrived in Charlotte November 2006. I felt the same way ... we were a little down about the holiday being "just us." As a rule of thumb, I used to avoid restaurants like the plague during the holidays as I felt like they overcharged and rushed you on out the door. But, we actually spent last Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter in Charlotte restaurants and all of the experiences were good. We did Red Rock Cafe on Thanksgiving, Tin Tin for Christmas and an Italian place in Ballantyne (the name escapes me) for Easter.

In prior years I split my time between working at a homeless shelter that I committed several hours a week to (extremely fulfilling to break bread with and especially to serve these folks) and then spending the evening with a house full of family members.

The Charlotte Observer will print a listing of whose open on the holiday. Most of them seem to do buffet style brunches.

Be warned though, the last time I posed this question here on the boards, I was chastised for "being a part of the problem" which forced people to work on holidays. I will tell you though, when I worked in the restaurant industry, I looked forward to working because of the opportunity to make extra money. And before I had my own family, I simply enjoyed being in the company of other people.

This year we haven't decided how Thanksgiving is going to work out. We are likely to be split up (sending the kids to their grandparents), DH might go to his mother's, etc. but for Christmas we've invited a bunch of folks to celebrate with us.

Good luck, whatever you decide! And welcome home.

Sincerely,

Sara
Well if someone wants to chastise me maybe they want to invite me over to their house and that would solve the issue....
Thanks for the info Sara and to everyone else. I am guessing eventually it gets easier to be away from the ones you love on the holidays. I think of all of them this one is the hardest one to be alone. I guess we will start our own tradition the parade and then find someplace nice to eat out.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:16 AM

462 posts, read 1,845,608 times
Sorry to hear you'll be on your own for Turkey Day. I'm excited for Thanksgiving for a change. Were lucky enough to have the whole family come this year. Really looking forward to it. I have the space to hold everyone, just not enough beds. Plus I am hoping to get my brother and his family out looking for real estate. See if I can corrupt him and get him to move.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:15 PM

30 posts, read 99,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwo418 View Post
Well if someone wants to chastise me maybe they want to invite me over to their house and that would solve the issue....
Thanks for the info Sara and to everyone else. I am guessing eventually it gets easier to be away from the ones you love on the holidays. I think of all of them this one is the hardest one to be alone. I guess we will start our own tradition the parade and then find someplace nice to eat out.

It's our first Thanksgiving too for my family of 5! We can't afford to go back to CA for the holidays and it's a little sad but exciting too....we will start our own traditions too and I am looking forward to it.

Anyone know of anywhere my family can volunteer to help serve meals in shelters/churches here in Charlotte?

Old 09-17-2007, 04:47 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,096,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCAL2NC View Post
It's our first Thanksgiving too for my family of 5! We can't afford to go back to CA for the holidays and it's a little sad but exciting too....we will start our own traditions too and I am looking forward to it.

Anyone know of anywhere my family can volunteer to help serve meals in shelters/churches here in Charlotte?
Don't want to discourage you however, as a veteran volunteer, agencies are overrun with requests to serve meals on the holidays. They are more likely to use the "regulars" because it's very difficult to deal with newcomers and larger-than-normal crowds. It's the rest of the year they struggle to find adequate assistance.

Sara

Old 09-17-2007, 05:57 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,726,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Don't want to discourage you however, as a veteran volunteer, agencies are overrun with requests to serve meals on the holidays. They are more likely to use the "regulars" because it's very difficult to deal with newcomers and larger-than-normal crowds. It's the rest of the year they struggle to find adequate assistance.

Sara
Wow! I never realized that, but it makes perfect sense. We wanted to start a tradition in volunteering for the less fortunate. First, to be of service to those that are less fortunate, and also to teach our children how good they really have it. And to cherish their home and their family. It's so easy to forget in these times of "I want, I need".

Old 10-05-2007, 07:45 AM

41 posts, read 160,455 times
Now that it is closer, I'd like to re-ask this question. I have NEVER eaten out on Thanksgiving day, but since my husband is living in Charlotte and the kids and I are still in Florida, we will be travelling to see him for Thanksgiving. The condo his company has provided offers the barest essentials in the kitchen and there is no way I could cook there. I hate that people have to work on this holiday, but I do need some suggestions of what will be open. We prefer more country, family style to fancy foods so a decent buffet would work. My daughter loves buffets and she is the most bent out of shape about not being with the rest of the fam for Thanksgiving, so pleasing her would be nice (she's 16 so this isn't easy). Thanks for any suggestions!
Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte