Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:39 PM

19 posts, read 34,318 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Marvin/Waxhaw area this June from Ohio. I am looking for recommendations for riding lessons in the area. My girls love to ride (english) but are not very interested in competing. I am used to paying around $30 a lesson and am hoping to find something similar. Any good ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 02:14 PM

564 posts, read 1,454,604 times
There is Larkspur ranch on 521 where 75 connects from Waxhaw. Not sure what all they offer but would be worth checking out. Waxhaw is a very horse friendly area.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:43 PM

309 posts, read 766,244 times
There is a tack shop in waxhaw, Waxhaw Tack Exchange. I would recommend calling them and seeing if they have a list of local barns. They used to carry a local publication that listed all the barns -- don't know if they still do.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:50 AM

48 posts, read 109,731 times
Leg Up Equestrian in Fort Mill offers English riding lessons.
Leg Up Equestrian Horseback Riding Stables and Lessons - Charlotte NC

Old 04-13-2012, 02:07 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,635 times
Yes, there is a publication of the local barns and you should be able to pick a copy of it up in the Waxhaw Tack exchange. Lessons range from $45 for group lesson to about $60-$65 for private lessons.
I moved to Waxhaw and own 2 horses, you'll love it here! The entire area is pretty horse friendly. Larkspur looks ok, but I have my own reservations about the place ( i live near there and drive by it daily) You can PM me if you need more details.

There are a lot of places in the area offering lessons. Providence Equestrian is excellent but a little expensive. I do believe they are a little more on the competetive side as well. Tack Exchange and Mane Street Feed will be able to direct you to somewhere that isnt "competetive" per say.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:54 PM

44 posts, read 111,081 times
Also, go to www.phja.com then links for a list of barns in the area. Most of them are beautiful, but $30 per lesson is a bit low for this area. You'll probably have to pay more than that, especially if you don't own a horse. But you picked the perfect area!!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 PM

19 posts, read 34,318 times
Thanks for all the advice! I'm so surprised about the cost. Around here $30 is the norm. I thought w/ so many places in North Carolina is would be less not more!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 PM

469 posts, read 891,475 times
My daughter used to ride at Double R Stables - she did for over 2 years. I paid $120 a month for group weekly lessons (no more than 4 kids in the class). We didn't own a horse, we used one of theirs. double r Home. Kim was her trainer and I'd highly recommend her. Double R has a Waxhaw address, but is actually in Mineral Springs. It's not hard to find. Double R has some summer camps and that might be a good way to test them out - although camp is usually geared to beginners and beginner-intermediate riders. There might be one advanced camp, but you'll have a lot of the "usuals" attending - esp those on the show team.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:23 AM

430 posts, read 804,550 times
Slightly more east, but the Providence Equestrian Center is in Wesley Chapel.

Find Us | Providence Equestrian Center | ProvidenceEquestrian.com | Waxhaw North Carolina

Old 04-23-2012, 05:44 AM

488 posts, read 799,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wumama View Post
Thanks for all the advice! I'm so surprised about the cost. Around here $30 is the norm. I thought w/ so many places in North Carolina is would be less not more!

Fox Pointe farm is bit outside the area but they do lots and lots of kid lessons and even a bit of foxhunting.

Horses in NC are more expensive then when I was in San Francisco. I finally sold out because I spent so much money just keeping the horse I had no money to do anything with them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte