Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 PM

79 posts, read 184,009 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I will be celebrating our 5 year anniversary in July and I am trying to plan a trip for 3 nights out of town. I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as possible while still not limiting our "fun potential."

I was looking at Gatlinburg as an option, but the gas for the trip would be $100 alone. So I was looking at something else as a potential. We want to go to a place we haven't been before so the following are thrown out:

- Asheville
- Boone / Banner Elk
- No Beach areas, thanks though.

I'm thinking that Gatlinburg is about 3.5 hours away so anything less than that is an option...just trying to feel it out.

One idea was Chimney Rock. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laziboie View Post
So my wife and I will be celebrating our 5 year anniversary in July and I am trying to plan a trip for 3 nights out of town. I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as possible while still not limiting our "fun potential."

I was looking at Gatlinburg as an option, but the gas for the trip would be $100 alone. So I was looking at something else as a potential. We want to go to a place we haven't been before so the following are thrown out:

- Asheville
- Boone / Banner Elk
- No Beach areas, thanks though.

I'm thinking that Gatlinburg is about 3.5 hours away so anything less than that is an option...just trying to feel it out.

One idea was Chimney Rock. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Biltmore Estate in Asheville.

$100 in gas? You guys driving an SUV?

My toyota can get to Gatlinburg on $37.00 and still have fuel to ride around on while there....

Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 AM

371 posts, read 1,102,075 times
You really can't go wrong with anywhere in the mountains. I like Asheville and Blowing Rock. Sign up for groupon getaway deals....they have them in the mountains all of the deal.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Biltmore Estate in Asheville.

$100 in gas? You guys driving an SUV?

My toyota can get to Gatlinburg on $37.00 and still have fuel to ride around on while there....
Yes, V8 SUV...only thing we have that the car seat will fit into and allow us to both ride anywhere exceeding 30 mins.

ALL

Also, I may have not communicated this well so I will try again:

We have been to Asheville and the Boone / Blowing rock area. Those are nice, but we would like to go somewhere we haven't been before. That is why I tossed out the idea Gatlinburg being a little too far, but Chimney Rock being perfect distance.

Any ideas other than the ones I specifically asked about not using? Thanks for the help!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,843 times
I am celebrating my 5 year anniversary in July also (07/07/07)...and we're also looking for weekend trip ideas!

We were thinking Savannah - that's about 3-4 hours away. We've never been there - just driven through - but I hear it's pretty nice.

We're also thinking maybe Charleston. Never been there either, but we've been trying to plan a trip out there for a while now...maybe we'll use this opportunity.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
I am celebrating my 5 year anniversary in July also (07/07/07)...and we're also looking for weekend trip ideas!

We were thinking Savannah - that's about 3-4 hours away. We've never been there - just driven through - but I hear it's pretty nice.

We're also thinking maybe Charleston. Never been there either, but we've been trying to plan a trip out there for a while now...maybe we'll use this opportunity.
Neat, we were also 7/7/7 at 7:00 PM, lol .

Savannah is nice. The area is so historic and truly has something for everyone...Charleston is similar, but I don't have as much experience there.

We are trying to stay away from the coast since we are going there for a vacation in June. Good luck with your trip!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 AM

128 posts, read 222,374 times
Hi,
It depends a bit on what you want - I think right at Chimney Rock is really pretty touristy (gift shops, lots of people, etc.) I like a good stroll through stores, but I'm done after about half an hour. But, if you were interested in going to Gatlinburg then perhaps you/your wife have more interest in that.

I couple more low key suggestions. I've been hearing good things about Floyd, Virginia particularly the Friday night music jam. I'm sure there is good hiking and biking up there (New River Trail I think.) Or try Abingdon Virginia - 3ish hours from Charlotte. If you've never ridden on the Virgnia Creeper - 17 miles all down hill on an old rail road bed. It's great. You could also look into Valle Crucis - very small but beautiful. Home of Mast General Store and you could easily get into Boone for a stroll near the Univeristy or head up to the Virginia Creeper for the day.

Only about two hours away is Black Mountain (off of I-77, just this side of Ashville.) Charming small towns with galleries and shops. Lots of B&B's and restaurants there. There is also nice hiking there and you are only about 30-40 minutes from downtown Ashville if you want to take that in. It's also not a long drive to Lake Lure if you wanted to go on a boat ride there (I think they still have that) or to drive over to the botanical gardens which are also nice.

Good luck. Let me know if you have other questions.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cltpeep View Post
Hi,
It depends a bit on what you want - I think right at Chimney Rock is really pretty touristy (gift shops, lots of people, etc.) I like a good stroll through stores, but I'm done after about half an hour. But, if you were interested in going to Gatlinburg then perhaps you/your wife have more interest in that.

I couple more low key suggestions. I've been hearing good things about Floyd, Virginia particularly the Friday night music jam. I'm sure there is good hiking and biking up there (New River Trail I think.) Or try Abingdon Virginia - 3ish hours from Charlotte. If you've never ridden on the Virgnia Creeper - 17 miles all down hill on an old rail road bed. It's great. You could also look into Valle Crucis - very small but beautiful. Home of Mast General Store and you could easily get into Boone for a stroll near the Univeristy or head up to the Virginia Creeper for the day.

Only about two hours away is Black Mountain (off of I-77, just this side of Ashville.) Charming small towns with galleries and shops. Lots of B&B's and restaurants there. There is also nice hiking there and you are only about 30-40 minutes from downtown Ashville if you want to take that in. It's also not a long drive to Lake Lure if you wanted to go on a boat ride there (I think they still have that) or to drive over to the botanical gardens which are also nice.

Good luck. Let me know if you have other questions.
Thanks for the input.

I am open to any ideas, but would prefer to stay closer to 1.5-2 hrs away. We have been to Valle Crucis and love the Mast general store.

Lake Lure is pretty much the same as Chimney Rock. The two are right beside of one another. Boat ride is a good idea.

We will be taking along an infant so I'm not sure that biking or long day hikes will work too well.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 AM

371 posts, read 1,102,075 times
We like the Waynesville/Maggie Valley/Lake Junaluska area. Spent a week there last year with an 8 month old and 2 year old twins. Plenty to do. Some people like the Cashiers area also.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgirl98 View Post
We like the Waynesville/Maggie Valley/Lake Junaluska area. Spent a week there last year with an 8 month old and 2 year old twins. Plenty to do. Some people like the Cashiers area also.
Thanks, I'll check those out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte