Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:52 PM

4 posts, read 7,004 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in South Charlotte. He already started his job but is traveling and hasn't been able to research areas. I have done a lot of looking at real estate, but it is hard when you have never been to the area. I would love some insight on areas to look to live. I have 2 children, 9 & 6. They play sports (soccer, baseball/softball, basketball, tennis etc). We live in Michigan in a small closeknit town. I am looking for a neighborhood that is quiet, young families, close to "fun". I have been looking at Pineville/ballantyne area as well as York County South Carolina. I hear that it is cheaper to live in SC so we have been looking in Forth Mill and Lake Wylie area. I really am looking for an area that is close to fun since all of our family will still live in Michigan and we would like them to visit often :0) I really want a good school district since I love to be as active as I can in my children's lives. (while they let ya-LOL) Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 04:20 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,224,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2carolina View Post
My husband just got a job in South Charlotte. He already started his job but is traveling and hasn't been able to research areas. I have done a lot of looking at real estate, but it is hard when you have never been to the area. I would love some insight on areas to look to live. I have 2 children, 9 & 6. They play sports (soccer, baseball/softball, basketball, tennis etc). We live in Michigan in a small closeknit town. I am looking for a neighborhood that is quiet, young families, close to "fun". I have been looking at Pineville/ballantyne area as well as York County South Carolina. I hear that it is cheaper to live in SC so we have been looking in Forth Mill and Lake Wylie area. I really am looking for an area that is close to fun since all of our family will still live in Michigan and we would like them to visit often :0) I really want a good school district since I love to be as active as I can in my children's lives. (while they let ya-LOL) Thanks
I happen to live in Tega Cay, SC (tegacaysc.org) off of Lake Wylie...children attend Fort Mill schools. If you would like more info on this side of the fence (York County, SC) I would be more than happen to answer any questions you might have (if you want to post this on the SC side or feel free to PM me)

Old 09-16-2006, 08:32 PM

872 posts, read 3,588,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2carolina View Post
.... I really want a good school district since I love to be as active as I can in my children's lives. (while they let ya-LOL) Thanks
Don't look to CMS (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools) then if you want a good school district.

Last edited by mountain_time_Blues; 09-16-2006 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Spellin'

Old 09-16-2006, 08:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,865,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Don't look to CMS (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools) then if you want a good school district.

That's not completely accurate. There are good schools in Charlotte, and there are bad schools in Charlotte. The entire system is not exactly the worst in the nation or anything. We have problems with some schools, some schools are doing quite well. The thing to do is research particular schools in areas you are interested in and see how they rate as individual schools - don't discount the whole system until you really know more.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
..... We have problems with some schools, some schools are doing quite well. The thing to do is research particular schools in areas you are interested in and see how they rate as individual schools - don't discount the whole system until you really know more.....
The only schools that are doing reasonble are the all white schools with the $400,000+ home neihborhoods.The rest of the schools are medicore at best.

I graduated from North Meck High School, and before that atended Pineville Elementary, Bradley Middle School, Alexzander Middle School, and lastly North Meck High school. All CMS schools. Also a family member of mine worked for CMS as a 6th grade english teacher. I think I know a little...

Old 09-16-2006, 09:29 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,865,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
The only schools that are doing reasonble are the all white schools with the $400,000+ home neihborhoods.The rest of the schools are medicore at best.

I graduated from North Meck High School, and before that atended Pineville Elementary, Bradley Middle School, Alexzander Middle School, and lastly North Meck High school. All CMS schools. Also a family member of mine worked for CMS as a 6th grade english teacher. I think I know a little...
Where do we have ALL white public schools in Charlotte? I guess what you meant is the schools that are located in predominantly white neighborhoods? Even those aren't all white. I actually know quite a few kids at Myers Park High School and East Meck High School who don't live in homes valued at more than $175,000 that love their schools and feel good about being ready for college.

I understand you have an opinion based on your experience, and that's fine. But unless you study the issues and keep up with what is going on by volunteering in the schools you can't know for sure that they are all "mediocre". Yes, there are problems. But there are also many good things happening in many schools.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:31 PM

And I'm pretty sure there are students who enjoy West Meck and West Charlotte High Schools. I'm speaking in for the most parts. There are always exceptions.

Old 09-17-2006, 02:53 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,859,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
I happen to live in Tega Cay, SC (tegacaysc.org) off of Lake Wylie...children attend Fort Mill schools. If you would like more info on this side of the fence (York County, SC) I would be more than happen to answer any questions you might have (if you want to post this on the SC side or feel free to PM me)
I didn't like Pineville. The area I was in while visiting in Sept'06 was bad. Although as stated, Tega Cay and Fort Mill are very nice!

Old 09-17-2006, 06:53 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,914,971 times
In case you haven't made your move yet, I'd suggest Ft. Mill. It's very nice, but very affordable. Great schools. You're very close to Charlotte, but don't feel like you are. As far as recreation, you're near Lake Wylie and Paramount's Carowinds theme park.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:38 PM

17 posts, read 75,262 times
We relocated from NY to South Charlotte in 1998 -- now we live just over the border in Union County. Schools were important to us -- here are the websites for the school systems you mentioned: Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools www.cms.k12.nc.us Fort Mill http://www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us/

You may want to consider Union County -- taxes are generally lower than in Mecklenburg and here is the website www.ucps.k12.nc.us

[cut] Take care and good luck.

Last edited by Marka; 09-24-2006 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: no advertising on the forum please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte