Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:49 PM

380 posts, read 1,757,097 times

Advertisements

My son is just finishing his AS degree in Criminal Justice. He is considering moving to charlotte with us. Is there a police academy there? I know certain areas do things differently...some police departments hire you without you haven't gone to an academy and then they send you to one and some will only hire you if you have gone. Does anyone know anything about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 06:39 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
Yes there is a police academy. Here is info from CMPD. Become a Police Officer (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Join+the+Force/Become+a+Police+Officer/Home.htm - broken link)

Old 08-26-2007, 06:42 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,263,440 times
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Academy is located at the intersection of Shopton Road and Beam Road in southwest Charlotte.

See home (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Join+the+Force/Police+Training+Academy/home.htm - broken link)

See also recruiting links on the left of the page.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:30 PM

thanks. I will have him check it out!

Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,255 times
To become a police officer in NC, you must get your BLET ( Basic Law Enforcement Training ) certification. It is a full time course that lasts 16 weeks. Most community colleges have these. Central Piedmont Community College ( CPCC ) also holds this course. CPCC is located in Charlotte, and the BLET course is held in Huntersville.

CMPD is just one of many growing police departments in the Charlotte area. Most agencies in NC dont have their own academy, but Charlotte does. Charlottes police academy is actually extended, to 29 weeks I believe. You are paid a full time salary while attending.

NC Highway Patrol has their own academy as well and it is 29 weeks. It is not a state police agency. The NCSHP works traffic collisions and enforces traffic law on highways and interstates not incorporated by other agencies. So if you want to work primarily traffic, look into that agency. Starting pay is a little over $32,000.

You can get a local police agency to sponsor you through the BLET program at a community college if you apply with an agency that does not have its own academy.

The pay for police officers, benefits, etc differ greatly from department to department. Charlotte has some of the best benefits, it is the largest city in NC. The NCSHP also has great benefits.

Starting pay for police agencies range from $25,000 to $35,000 generally. Some agencies will pay extra for those will Bachelor or Associate degrees, previous experience, but some dont.

A great website for Law Enforcement is officer.com. Click on the forums link and you can speak with local LE officers from any state in the union, from different agencies. You can also post questions. Its a very active site so you can probably get some good info there. If I can help you out anymore, just ask.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:00 PM

Carolina_native, this is GREAT info. Thank you so much!! Really appreciate it.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishlee View Post
Carolina_native, this is GREAT info. Thank you so much!! Really appreciate it.
No problem.

Officer.com is a good site that I think will really help you out.

Explaining BLET can be a tad confusing to those not familiar with it. 16 weeks is the minimum amount if training that NC requires, other agencies can require more. BLET incorporates basically all aspects of LE training, physical training, drivers training/pursuit driving, all classroom work you can imagine that might involve police training, (but its interesting class work), first aid, interviews, firearms qualification, (pistol and shotgun), OC spray (mace), baton training, you get the picture Im sure!

I highly advise getting a sponsorship from an agency if you dont get into the Charlotte academy. Smaller agencies will sponsor you, and send you through the local BLET course. Included in the sponsorship is possibly a full time salary while attending with benefits, school is paid for as well as the books, and a foot in the door with the sponsoring agency.

Gastonia is just a county west of Charlotte and will sponsor cadets. They will send you through a local BLET program. Speak with the recruiter, visit their website. Charlotte has a very limited take home car program but Gastonia has a liberal one, which means if you work for Gastonia, you can drive your patrol car home. Most agencies have some type of take home car program, which helps on gas and home security.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:41 PM

Carolina_native...my son will finish his AS in crim justice in Dec. He had planned to transfer to 4 yr university and major in crim justice. But professor told him that it is not wise to get BS in crim justice. Do you know anything about that?

Old 08-26-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishlee View Post
Carolina_native...my son will finish his AS in crim justice in Dec. He had planned to transfer to 4 yr university and major in crim justice. But professor told him that it is not wise to get BS in crim justice. Do you know anything about that?
No, Im sorry I cant help you out there, because if your son is interested in the LE profession - Why would it not be wise I wonder for a BS in Crim Justice?

Im not sure what state your son lives in, but in NC a college degree goes a long way here (for police agencies). In NC, the state is experiencing rapid growth, and many agencies (particualry high growth areas like Charlotte and Raleigh) are constantly increasing their police forces, which means more jobs. There is alot of opportunity for those interested in a career in law enforcement in NC.

For advancement to higher positions in an agency, most agencies require a bachelors, but not a bachelors to get hired on. And I would surmise a BS in criminal justice would be a plus.

Oh and you must be 21 years old to be a police officer in NC. You can attend BLET at 20, but to be sworn in you must be 21.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:05 PM

That would work for him. He doesn't turn 21 til May but he finishes school here in Ohio in December. He could move there and start that training. Thanks. Very helpful info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte