Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 11:08 AM

6 posts, read 21,180 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to live comfortably in Charlotte. So, if someone can help me with the number crunching it would be great.

For example, if I make $75,000 a year how much of that do I actually bring home after taxes a month? I have a wife and a little boy so my filing status would be Married and 2 exemptions. Is there a formula I can run to get the numbers? Just trying to see if I can figure out my monthly living expenses.

Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 11:21 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,666,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2-LA-2NC View Post
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to live comfortably in Charlotte. So, if someone can help me with the number crunching it would be great.

For example, if I make $75,000 a year how much of that do I actually bring home after taxes a month? I have a wife and a little boy so my filing status would be Married and 2 exemptions. Is there a formula I can run to get the numbers? Just trying to see if I can figure out my monthly living expenses.

Taking home 70% give or take a few % is a good estimate, so at $75000 I would say you bring home $52,500. This could be more if you consider tax write offs, etc.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:24 AM

367 posts, read 1,029,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2-LA-2NC View Post
Hi,

First, you can claim more than 2 exemptions. I have a wife and two children. My wife does not work. I claim 9 excemptions on my federal and 5 on my state. That is the number that comes up on the withholding worksheet. I would not do this unless you have a mortgage though, or you will owe allot of money at the end of the year. I make about what you were stating a year. After taking 10% off the top for my retirement 401k and $177 a month for insurance. I bring home about $2000 a paycheck

Old 08-10-2007, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 21,180 times
Thanks for the information guys. Now I have a better idea of what to work with. BTW, I would definitely have a mortgage payment...but I hope it wouldn't eat to much of my monthly earnings. Also, my wife doesn't work.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:55 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
We have a mortgage and some other write offs and bring home about 80% of our salary.

Dawn

Old 08-10-2007, 12:05 PM

216 posts, read 701,552 times
I've been tryin to figure out the same thing. I did pretty good in FL. I moved to TN nowing I would make less but it was WAY to much less. Now we are movin to Charlotte I will make alot more then in TN and about $8k less a yr then I was in FL. Seems like our rent in NC will be same as our rent in FL not sure about the other expenses though.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
When you do these "estimates" its very important you err on the side of caution. I would always estimate a little less to take home than more. That way, you'll have a little extra something hopefully on the side....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte