Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 04:56 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times

Advertisements

I was outside a couple days ago trying to remove dirt from my fence line. The fence around our property has split apart at a corner because it takes the brunt of dirt that washes down a hill.

My wife had asked me to remove the dirt so that we could nail the sections back together. So I went outside with a spade & began shoveling the dirt away from the fence. And as luck would have it my spade split open a wasp nest. I had been bitten 4 times, once on the left knee, twice on my right leg & once on my left elbow before I could make it in the house.

I have never felt that kind of pain before & it took most of the day for it to fade away. My wife gave me ice for the bites & I took Benedryl as well. I spoke with a friend yesterday who told me that I should've taped copper pennies to the bites. I was wondering if this actually worked & what sorts of remedies y'all had used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 05:47 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Cigarette tobacco works like a charm....

Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I was outside a couple days ago trying to remove dirt from my fence line. The fence around our property has split apart at a corner because it takes the brunt of dirt that washes down a hill.

My wife had asked me to remove the dirt so that we could nail the sections back together. So I went outside with a spade & began shoveling the dirt away from the fence. And as luck would have it my spade split open a wasp nest. I had been bitten 4 times, once on the left knee, twice on my right leg & once on my left elbow before I could make it in the house.

I have never felt that kind of pain before & it took most of the day for it to fade away. My wife gave me ice for the bites & I took Benedryl as well. I spoke with a friend yesterday who told me that I should've taped copper pennies to the bites. I was wondering if this actually worked & what sorts of remedies y'all had used.
Get a good quality clay mask from a cosmetic department. Keep it for insect bites & slather it on. By the time it dries the pain & swelling are gone. Works like a charm every time.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:04 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
I ran over one with my lawnmower one year. Those bites hurt like the dickens and I didn't know where they came from til I saw those little bastards swarming around me.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:01 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Just FTR, you're being stung rather than bitten.

And we always used tobacco as a salve too. Still hurts like he'll though!

Old 07-17-2011, 08:46 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,287,595 times
It was probably a yellow jacket nest. Wasps don't make nests in the ground.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:00 AM

689 posts, read 1,656,484 times
I am so sorry that happened! I fear that happening to me almost every time I cut my grass.

I hope you are on the mend!

Old 07-17-2011, 12:30 PM

821 posts, read 1,854,303 times
Been there. Done that when I ran over a yellow jackets nest. Witnesses can attest that's the fastest they have ever seen a human being move all four limbs at the same time. Get out of the way Steve Smith! :-)

Old 07-18-2011, 09:19 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
When we were kids, we were always stumbling across yellow jacket and hornet nests, and I still have many painful memories of those stings.

Once, my younger brother and I were climbing a tree, and we were about halfway up, maybe 40 feet or more off the ground. He was ahead of me, and as he reached for the next branch he stuck his hand right into a hornet's nest. As the first one stung me, I just released my grip and literally fell to the ground, smashing through limbs and branches on the way down. He did the same and actually passed me on the way down. We both ran into the house, which was a huge mistake becase they just came in with us and started stinging our mom. She forced us back outside and blasted us with the hose until they went away.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,156,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
It was probably a yellow jacket nest. Wasps don't make nests in the ground.
Nitpick, but a yellow jacket is indeed a wasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte