Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:42 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,846,757 times

Advertisements

Is this legitimate or legal? I can't remember exactly what charity they said they were collecting for, but I hadn't heard of it before. And just today I saw a police officer turn his lights on and start talking to one of them, while the other three at the other ends of the intersection started to casually walk away from their spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,236,051 times
If I'm so inclined to do anything but wave and smile at them, I'll ask for their card, telling them I will research their charity when I get home, and donate accordingly. Outside of firemen, police, shriners, or some other instantly recognizable group, I don't donate money to anyone who's standing around, coming up to me in a parking lot, or knocking on my door.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:52 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Where I'm from (do you have any idea how hard it is to not start EVERY comment with that??)...

Anyway, where I'm from recognized organizations like Volunteer Fire Companies and July 4th celebration committee's will do this for specific purposes but only occasionally. The ladder trucks parked nearby are a good hint that it's a legit thing.

I'd look for a VERY CLEAR and VERY BIG sign saying Shriners or Rotary or whatever...
not just guys in vests.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,846,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'd look for a VERY CLEAR and VERY BIG sign saying Shriners or Rotary or whatever...
not just guys in vests.
A big sign was always conspicuously absent. They had a name tag, that was it.

And what irked me even more was the ones who were standing by the Sharon Road/Fairview Road intersection a few weeks ago left their water bottles on the median where they were standing, and they remained there for almost a week.

I have seen these collectors, probably all with the same group, at that Sharon/Fairview intersection, at the intersection of Carmel and Pineville/Matthews, and at the Leitner Drive/PinevilleMatthews intersection when leaving Best Buy.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:33 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Oh yeah... and like any panhandler (or stray cat) anywhere...
Don't give them ANY money (or food) at ALL... at ANY time.

NO EXCEPTIONS... or you'll never be rid of them.

Want to donate to feed or house the indigent? Wonderful!
Just do so through a legitimate agency that you have checked out.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:13 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,991,580 times
This is already a pretty hot topic: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...yvola-off.html

Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,821 times
I saw this for the first time today in Cornelius - and immediately thought of this thread! I just waved them off as they approached me. I couldn't tell what they were "selling", but the brochure might have been a religious solicitation. I don't think motorists should be distracted while they are trying to drive (or talk on the cell phone... ) even if stopped at a red light.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
A big sign was always conspicuously absent.

And what irked me even more was the ones who were standing by the Sharon Road/Fairview Road intersection a few weeks ago left their water bottles on the median where they were standing, and they remained there for almost a week.
Shocking!! Must have been a concerned citizen that removed those water bottles. The city of Charlotte no longer picks up trash and debris on medians or roadsides (except interstates). I'm saying this sarcastically of course. But it's quite obvious we lack those special forces that remove litter and road debris from surface streets. Just look around. Out streets are filthy. A 2x4 stayed in the middle of Sharon & Fairview for over 6 months until enough cars ran over it to break into splinters. It's still there to this day. Sorry to get off track. I know this is another topic......

Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Is this legitimate or legal?
In most cases yes. You'd have to look for the ordinance that covers it and the manner it can be done in. In my county they can only stand in an area that has an island seperating the opposite directions of traffic flow and each person must wear a large ID badge. They cannot go up to a car unless the donation is waved at them (most likely why we rarely see these groups anymore).

Old 07-12-2011, 07:22 AM

533 posts, read 1,834,748 times
Asking For Money, Breaking The Law | Charlotte News | Weather | Carolina Panthers | Bobcats | FOX Charlotte | Top Stories

Just saw this and thought of this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte