Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:52 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
No, I live in a world where intelligence and common sense prevails.

Good driving abilities are a neccessary requirement for proceeding upon our roads and stopping at every speed bump quite frankly negates this.

Finally a vehicle lowered so much that it cannot easily and safely navigate one of these bumps is a danger to other road users and serves lilttle purpose since the ground effect this generates will not come into effect at speeds much below the legal limits.
I Suwannee. you folks find more stuff to get worked up about... is the issue really that important? is a minute so important as to get all fired up and indignant? if you regularly encounter such time-leaching inconveniences how 'bout stepping up and planning according by leaving your house earlier? otherwise, quit 'yer bellyachin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM

38 posts, read 78,945 times
Isn't the purpose of a speed bump to slow people down in areas where drivers need to be alert of potential driving hazards in the first place? Personally, I'd much rather be behind someone that stops at every speed bump and is alert to their surroundings than to be behind someone who is flying over them and hits a child that was crossing the road in the next bend.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I Suwannee. you folks find more stuff to get worked up about... is the issue really that important? is a minute so important as to get all fired up and indignant? ....
LOL, this is funny coming from someone who admits to getting so worked up about it they deliberately go out into the streets to annoy people. Sure seems to be important enough to you.
"I go 0.2 mph over the speedbumps in my neighborhood specifically to frustrate and slow down the "cut-through" drivers who treat my neighborhood like a dragstrip. I also go 24 mph and ride right in the middle of the road so they can't pass.I don't really care who you are, where you're going, what kind of car you're driving or how po'd you get."
Bless your heart.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
LOL, this is funny coming from someone who admits to getting so worked up about it they deliberately go out into the streets to annoy people. Sure seems to be important enough to you.
"I go 0.2 mph over the speedbumps in my neighborhood specifically to frustrate and slow down the "cut-through" drivers who treat my neighborhood like a dragstrip. I also go 24 mph and ride right in the middle of the road so they can't pass.I don't really care who you are, where you're going, what kind of car you're driving or how po'd you get."
Bless your heart.

what, exactly, makes it funny? someone doing 50 mph on a 25 mph street where kids play, neighbors walk, etc.? interesting that you equate potential catastrophic death right up there with 5 seconds of inconvenience. stretching again... as you are so prone to do.

but thanks for your opinion, yanbollo, lumtosh... whoever you are this week. you are the king of credibility.

*snicker*.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:11 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
what, exactly, makes it funny? someone doing 50 mph on a 25 mph street where kids play, neighbors walk, etc.? interesting that you equate potential catastrophic death right up there with 5 seconds of inconvenience. stretching again...
Obviously not, and your going out onto the street with your car to create an additional traffic hazard in a futile attempt to control the driving habits of others, isn't doing anything for the safety of kids. I believe you also bragged about carrying a gun into this situation as well.

None the less, I don't really care, it was a response to you calling out others about being indignant. My harmless joke is done and I didn't annoy any drivers either.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Obviously not, and 1. your going out onto the street with your car to create an additional traffic hazard in a futile attempt to control the driving habits of others,2. isn't doing anything for the safety of kids. 3. I believe you also bragged about carrying a gun into this situation as well.

None the less, 4. I don't really care, 5. it was a response to you calling out others about being indignant.
1. Yup. I do get a little indignant about speeding in my neighborhood. IMO, a worthy cause for being upset considering I have children, a bicycle, a desire to walk/socialize in my neighborhood, and friends with the same. maybe I'm being dense/obtuse, but this does upset me. whereas law-abiding drivers who may move slower than my taste on a 25 mph street do not cause me such consternation. Perhaps this makes me a hypocrite to you, fair enough... clearly in my mind there are some things worth getting upset about. to me the line is somewhere between endangering human lives and being inconvenienced for a short period of time....

once again, quite telling that you consider 24 mph in a 25 mph zone an "additional hazard". I don't think that word means what you means think it means.

2. I disagree. 25 mph in a residential area (the speed limit) creates a safer condition than some higher speed for all the above-listed activities/concerns. 15 would be even better, but I recognize that there is bound to be a point of diminishing marginal return.

3. It ain't bragging when you can back it up. then it's just facts. I always carry a gun, it's not a situation-specific condition.

4. then drop it!

5. yeah, I know what point you were attempting to make. it suffices to say that I don't find your comparison/point very cogent... in fact, you could call it bolltosh. I do.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Did not read the thread, but my wife (has a lead foot) hit one one time at about 50 in our suburban. I bet we got 25 feet of air. I will take stopping anyday.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:02 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Did not read the thread, but my wife (has a lead foot) hit one one time at about 50 in our suburban. I bet we got 25 feet of air. I will take stopping anyday.
Sweet!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,988,877 times
Quote:
I Suwannee. you folks find more stuff to get worked up about... is the issue really that important? is a minute so important as to get all fired up and indignant? if you regularly encounter such time-leaching inconveniences how 'bout stepping up and planning according by leaving your house earlier? otherwise, quit 'yer bellyachin.
I really hate this reply to an argument. Its not about getting anywhere faster. Its about using common sense and not driving like youve never been in a car before. When im behind someone going 35 in a 45, im annoyed. Im not pissed that i might get somewhere a minute later, im pissed the idiot in the car in front of me cant read a speed limit sign. Same with the speed bump debate.... if theres no stop sign, theres no reason to stop. I dont care about saving 10 seconds, I care that theres people on the road who are clueless about common sense driving. If speed bumps were so hazardous, they shouldnt be legal.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:30 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I really hate this reply to an argument. Its not about getting anywhere faster. Its about using common sense and not driving like youve never been in a car before. When im behind someone going 35 in a 45, im annoyed. Im not pissed that i might get somewhere a minute later, im pissed the idiot in the car in front of me cant read a speed limit sign. Same with the speed bump debate.... if theres no stop sign, theres no reason to stop. I dont care about saving 10 seconds, I care that theres people on the road who are clueless about common sense driving. If speed bumps were so hazardous, they shouldnt be legal.

There are MANY things that are hazardous that are legal. It is up to the individual to be an adult and proceed with care. When I creep over a speed bump or go slower than the speed limit, that is what I am doing, everyone else can get over it. It sure doesn't mean I don't have common sense or don't know how to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte