Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2007, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,483 times

Advertisements

I have just recently moved to Charlotte and I am currently looking for good places to meet people, or things to do on the weekends. I currently moved to Arysley in South west Charlotte, and I don't know anyone in the city, and my job doesnt start for another week. Any advice would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kls03 View Post
I have just recently moved to Charlotte and I am currently looking for good places to meet people, or things to do on the weekends. I currently moved to Arysley in South west Charlotte, and I don't know anyone in the city, and my job doesnt start for another week. Any advice would be helpful.
For starters head uptown this afternoon at 5:30 for "Alive after Five", PLENTY of people to meet there

Center City Alive After Five, 5:30-9 p.m. Thursdays through Aug. 30, uptown Charlotte at Wachovia Plaza at Tryon and Second streets. 704-339-0100; Charlotte Center City Partners

Well, a big OOPS! I really thought they did this on Friday's, but the info here says Thursdays? Sorry, maybe next week you can give it a try.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:56 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,403,877 times
Ahhh forget that. Head on over to the Verizon Wireless for the two Widespread Panic shows going on tonight and tomorrow night. It's a hippie freak circus to an extent, a lot of fun and an incredible band.

Speaking of which, I should be getting ready to head to that thing in a few...

Old 07-27-2007, 12:45 PM

56 posts, read 221,200 times
There's a nice Jazz Restaurant right in Arsley not sure of the name. A beautiful YMCA located right in the complex. Also Carolina Place Mall has outside after work concerts on various weekdays.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:50 PM

240 posts, read 1,033,279 times
If you sign up at the Y in Ayrsley, I believe they have a group called Y-Link which meets up once a week or so. It's basically a group of young professionals that meets up to go out on a regular basis. Might be worth looking into!

Also, check out the Creative Loafing newspaper, which you can probably find in a local supermarket, YMCA, restaurant, etc. It's free, and it has a lot of info regarding what's going on around Charlotte each week.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:52 PM

240 posts, read 1,033,279 times
By the way, the Italian (Portofino's) and Indian (Saffron) restuarants in Ayrsley are both excellent! There's also a pretty good Mexican place just south of Ayrsley on S. Tryon in the Starbucks/McAllister's shopping center called Don Pedro. And a decent Chinese buffet in the Walmart shopping center just north of Ayrsley (it's called Dragon Buffet). Just in case you were looking for some decent places to eat too

Old 07-27-2007, 12:52 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,619 times
I don't live in Charlotte, but I have always found that you can meet a lot of people by joining something--take a class, join somekind of group that does something you're interested in, etc. Just remember to smile at everyone, and be brave--say hello, introduce yourself, and eventually, when you have ran into the same person a few times, and you think they are likeable, then invite he or she to do something. Also, you might want to consider putting together a little gift basket with some goodies in it, and walk it over to your closest neighbors and introduce yourself. Explain that you're new to the area, and don't know anyone. Whenever I meet someone like this, I usually make it a priority to introduce this person to my friends, meet them out somewhere, and help them get to know the place and some people. Also, you'll meet people at work. Once you've been there for a couple of weeks or so, ask someone to join you for lunch.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:53 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,403,877 times
Seriously, go to the boardwalk around JW Clay in the University area. There's a pretty good sushi place, a wine place, Boardwalk Billys, something Lava (or Lava something...), paddle boats. It's one of the better spots to hang around in. I can't imagine it being too difficult to meet people around that spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: