Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 08:41 PM

38 posts, read 83,924 times

Advertisements

I have my permit, I'm supposed to go get my licenses next week and it says on the DMV's website that you have to take a test in order to get your licenses.
I had to take one to get my permit. And I thought you only had to take a 'road test' whenever you go to get your licenses.
Like, ride with someone from the DMV.
That's what everybody I've ever talked to has had to do.
But now, it says you have to do like four tests whenever you go. Is this true? Has it changed within like the last year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
from dmv web site
  1. Vision
  2. Traffic Signs
  3. Driving Knowledge
  4. Driving Skills (Road Test) http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv.../applying.html

It really 3 tests the vision and sign test are the same
Drivers knowledge is the written test you will have 20 questions I forget how many you can miss but study the things that are highlighted in book.

Vision determines if you can read the signs and the signs are blank you will need to identify the signs by shapes and colors

Old 03-18-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
from dmv web site
  1. Vision
  2. Traffic Signs
  3. Driving Knowledge
  4. Driving Skills (Road Test) NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Applying for a Driver License or Learner Permit?

It really 3 tests the vision and sign test are the same
Drivers knowledge is the written test you will have 20 questions I forget how many you can miss but study the things that are highlighted in book.

Vision determines if you can read the signs and the signs are blank you will need to identify the signs by shapes and colors

Alright.
Thanks.
I'm just trying to figure out why I have to take another written test like that since I already took one with getting my permit.
It just seems needless. But, I guess its what you have to do now.
You have to have a road test though. You have to drive with a person from the DMV.??

Old 03-18-2011, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,029 times
It might seem needless to you, but it doesn't seem needless to me. The ability to drive a vehicle legally is a privilege in the state of NC and you must earn it. You might be completely confident in your ability to drive but there's a handful of idiots on the roads today. All the redundancy involved in obtaining your license is for your own good.

My advice - read over your book, pass your test with flying colors, and smile for your picture.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:38 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
So how many, like licenses are you like, going to get? I have like only one.

As was said above, driving is a privilege. Given the responsibility, we have to do surprisingly little to be allowed to operate a vehicle. I had less than an hour of road time before I was unleashed on an unsuspecting world.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:37 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPotterFan11 View Post
I have my permit, I'm supposed to go get my licenses next week and it says on the DMV's website that you have to take a test in order to get your licenses.
I had to take one to get my permit. And I thought you only had to take a 'road test' whenever you go to get your licenses.
Like, ride with someone from the DMV.
That's what everybody I've ever talked to has had to do.
But now, it says you have to do like four tests whenever you go. Is this true? Has it changed within like the last year?
Yeah, I'd question "everybody" you've ever talked to since as far as I know you have to take everything again when you get your full license.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:44 PM

6 posts, read 16,617 times
The knowledge test only lasts for like 90 days.

-Vision and signs are easy, just be able to recognize stuff like the Stop, Yield and Railroad crossing signs without the words in them.

-The knowledge test is mostly common sense and basic driving ability but it has some tricky ones. I took it last week and got a list of the weird questions to study from that should come in handy. If you need them, PM me and I can send that to you.

-The driving part is pretty basic too. Turning, switching lanes, checking the mirrors, stop signs, using your signals, parking, etc. Remember you will also be tested on doing a 3 point turn, braking fast when told to do so, and back up straight.

Like I said, I took the test last week. If you need any more advice let me know!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat4inrc View Post
It might seem needless to you, but it doesn't seem needless to me. The ability to drive a vehicle legally is a privilege in the state of NC and you must earn it. You might be completely confident in your ability to drive but there's a handful of idiots on the roads today. All the redundancy involved in obtaining your license is for your own good.

My advice - read over your book, pass your test with flying colors, and smile for your picture.
I agree, it isn't needless, per say. I was just stating it was needless since I have already taken one test to get my permit.
Thanks for your advice.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldanito View Post
The knowledge test only lasts for like 90 days.

-Vision and signs are easy, just be able to recognize stuff like the Stop, Yield and Railroad crossing signs without the words in them.

-The knowledge test is mostly common sense and basic driving ability but it has some tricky ones. I took it last week and got a list of the weird questions to study from that should come in handy. If you need them, PM me and I can send that to you.

-The driving part is pretty basic too. Turning, switching lanes, checking the mirrors, stop signs, using your signals, parking, etc. Remember you will also be tested on doing a 3 point turn, braking fast when told to do so, and back up straight.

Like I said, I took the test last week. If you need any more advice let me know!

Thank you so much for your help. You're the only one who has truly helped me on this thread so far.
I'll PM you.
Thanks very much again!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:47 PM

137 posts, read 386,254 times
Well, how did u do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte