Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 10:14 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times

Advertisements

Last time I had to go to one of these I went to one on South Blvd, near Woodlawn. It's closed.

Looks like the nearest to me is at 809 E. Arrowood -- anyone been there? Any reason I should avoid it? Is there a better one or faster one or one that serves cookies and coffee while you wait?

My search turned up nearby (ish) locations on Brookshire Blvd in Charlotte and E. Franklin in Gastonia. Are those any better/worse?

I live in Steele Creek by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
I just recently went to the office on Brookshire, and there was NO wait, we were in & out in about ten minutes. That was around 8:45am on a Friday. I have gone in the Brookshire office several times before, and the line moved very quickly, I've never spent more than a half-hour there, tops. Not quite cookies & coffee, but not bad at all.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I just recently went to the office on Brookshire, and there was NO wait, we were in & out in about ten minutes. That was around 8:45am on a Friday. I have gone in the Brookshire office several times before, and the line moved very quickly, I've never spent more than a half-hour there, tops. Not quite cookies & coffee, but not bad at all.
Karma caught up with me and I had to pay out the nose for a new DL thanks to an inspection issue and a bad alignment of the planets.

There was a wait on the DL side of the house but what was funny was that when I went to the plates side to use the ATM there was a guy at the information window that was like "May I help you?". I guess he was bored

Kind of startled how that side of the office works so quickly and if you pause too long you are offered assistance. Usually the DL side is faster than it was that day but I deserved it.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,021 times
I think you'll be ok as long as you get there right when they open. My husband had to renew his license a few weeks ago and after waiting two hours (Arrowood office) he left and came back the next day at 7:45am. He was third in line and was out in 15 minutes after they opened the doors.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:03 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Last time I had to go to one of these I went to one on South Blvd, near Woodlawn. It's closed.

Looks like the nearest to me is at 809 E. Arrowood -- anyone been there? Any reason I should avoid it? Is there a better one or faster one or one that serves cookies and coffee while you wait?

My search turned up nearby (ish) locations on Brookshire Blvd in Charlotte and E. Franklin in Gastonia. Are those any better/worse?

I live in Steele Creek by the way.
I use the one on East Franklin. It's way busier than the one in Shelby, but I can combine several stops into one trip by using the Gastonia office. It moves right along. The wait is not bad at all in the middle of the day. Go at the end of the day & you'll think that you've bumbled into an NJDMV office. I did that once & won't do it again!

Old 12-01-2010, 01:38 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
There was a wait on the DL side of the house <snip> Usually the DL side is faster than it was that day but I deserved it.
I made the mistake of neglecting to renew my driver's license by mail, and I went to the Idlewild Road DL office to renew. Never again!! It was awful. We waited in this dingy, badly-lit hallway (started out outside - thank goodness it wasn't raining!) for three and a half hours. No windows, or seats, just a long, narrow, depressing puke-colored hallway with holes punched in the walls. Once I was in the actual office, it was pretty nice - plenty of seats, windows, etc. And you pulled a number and could see where you were in the queue. But, ugh, that wait in the hallway...

On the bright side, my DL picture came out really good! And the young man & young lady in front of me got to talking, and they ended up agreeing to go on a date.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:40 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
If you are simply renewing your tag why not do it online?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
I made the mistake of neglecting to renew my driver's license by mail, and I went to the Idlewild Road DL office to renew. Never again!! It was awful. We waited in this dingy, badly-lit hallway (started out outside - thank goodness it wasn't raining!) for three and a half hours. No windows, or seats, just a long, narrow, depressing puke-colored hallway with holes punched in the walls. Once I was in the actual office, it was pretty nice - plenty of seats, windows, etc. And you pulled a number and could see where you were in the queue. But, ugh, that wait in the hallway...

On the bright side, my DL picture came out really good! And the young man & young lady in front of me got to talking, and they ended up agreeing to go on a date.
The Idlewild office just moved this week to Albemarle Road near Harris Blvd. It's now in the Excecutive Center office park, down the block from the Social Security office.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:17 AM

Thanks for the advice all! I ended up going to the one on Arrowood (I figured why not try the closest one if no one says it's the worst ever). I got there a few minutes before they opened and waited in line behind about twenty people. Whole thing probably took a half hour. By the time I got through, the place was pretty much empty -- next time I'll know to show up an hour or so after they open.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
If you are simply renewing your tag why not do it online?
We were getting a new tag for a car that was gifted to us, and weren't a hundred percent sure on what documentation we needed. Figured it'd be easier to just go and talk with someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte