Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:48 PM

11 posts, read 33,611 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am lawyer here in Charlotte, and I am considering joining the military reserves. I was wondering if any of you had experience in this regard. Do any of the branches have a unit in Charlotte so I wouldn't have to travel far to drill each month?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 06:53 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,867,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suite1800 View Post
Hi All,

I am lawyer here in Charlotte, and I am considering joining the military reserves. I was wondering if any of you had experience in this regard. Do any of the branches have a unit in Charlotte so I wouldn't have to travel far to drill each month?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
While I cant specifically answer your question, I do want to salute you for your ambition and interest in the military. Any recruiter should be able to point you to a reserve or Guard unit in the immediate vicinity.

One thing- and you may very well know this- Reserve and Guard soldiers can and are called to active duty to augment or replace active duty soldiers. Given that you're an attorney, this probably wouldnt be more than an inconvenience, but be aware that you ca be deployed anywhere that the need might be. Please dont think I am trying to discourage you- just want you to have full disclosure.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:17 AM

171 posts, read 317,750 times
A number of people that I knew, who were in the reserves for years, where quite surprised when they found they had to stop everything to go and spend a year or more in Iraq.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:31 PM

30 posts, read 79,905 times
Suite1800- As a former Air National Guardsmen(part of USAF), look into this option. It's really a great especially for someone in the law field. Check out these websites for more information. I think you can contact Col Mitch Neurock for more information. I don't know this person, just read it on the website. There is an air guard unit at Charlotte Douglas Airport. Unless you want to deploy a lot, I would suggest you steer clear from Army and Marine Corps.

Air Force Judge Advocate - Careers

ARC JAG Entry Requirements and Application Procedures (http://jagrecruiting.law.af.mil/Judge%20Advocate/jbasic.htm - broken link)

Old 11-10-2010, 04:02 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
There is a USMC reserve unit in Charlotte.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgs7 View Post
Suite1800- As a former Air National Guardsmen(part of USAF), look into this option. It's really a great especially for someone in the law field. Check out these websites for more information. I think you can contact Col Mitch Neurock for more information. I don't know this person, just read it on the website. There is an air guard unit at Charlotte Douglas Airport. Unless you want to deploy a lot, I would suggest you steer clear from Army and Marine Corps.

Air Force Judge Advocate - Careers

ARC JAG Entry Requirements and Application Procedures (http://jagrecruiting.law.af.mil/Judge%20Advocate/jbasic.htm - broken link)
The person who says stay clear of Marines and Army reserve doesn't know what he's talking about. Last time I checked the Marines had the fewest number of activated reservist.

That is currently and since 9/11. Marine Corps typically doesn't activate reservist and when they do they more often than not get sent to a base stateside to replace an active duty member that's deployed. Not to say there aren't exceptions to this, but this is typical. Only the Naval Reserve, and Coast guard reserve have had less activated. Ther have been more Air Nat'l Guard members activated than Marines as well. The Air Force currently has 5 bases in Iraq. Marines 0.

Defense.gov News Release: National Guard (in Federal Status) and Reserve Activated as of October 19, 2010
http://www.defense.gov/news/d20101019ngr.pdf

OP, check with your local Marine recruiter for more info.

Last edited by macjr82; 11-10-2010 at 05:20 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 PM

11 posts, read 33,611 times
Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:58 PM

Just noticed you said you were a lawyer which means you've been to college. The Marines have reserve officers. That might be a better option for you than enlisting. For that you need to contact the Marine Corps Officer Selection Office (OSO). I can PM you that number if you want it.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:21 AM

238 posts, read 1,505,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
There is a USMC reserve unit in Charlotte.
The person who says stay clear of Marines and Army reserve doesn't know what he's talking about. Last time I checked the Marines had the fewest number of activated reservist.

That is currently and since 9/11. Marine Corps typically doesn't activate reservist and when they do they more often than not get sent to a base stateside to replace an active duty member that's deployed. Not to say there aren't exceptions to this, but this is typical. Only the Naval Reserve, and Coast guard reserve have had less activated. Ther have been more Air Nat'l Guard members activated than Marines as well. The Air Force currently has 5 bases in Iraq. Marines 0.

Defense.gov News Release: National Guard (in Federal Status) and Reserve Activated as of October 19, 2010
http://www.defense.gov/news/d20101019ngr.pdf

OP, check with your local Marine recruiter for more info.

Per this link there have been more USMCR activated since 9/11 than there are in the USMCR. Get your data right before you post winger. Another thing there are only 40,000 USMCR and where did you get your data they are typically stationed stateside? Percentage wise more activated USMCR are sent to a combat zone then regulars.

Last edited by ncguy444; 11-13-2010 at 12:42 AM..

Old 11-13-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post
Per this link there have been more USMCR activated since 9/11 than there are in the USMCR. Get your data right before you post winger. Another thing there are only 40,000 USMCR and where did you get your data they are typically stationed stateside? Percentage wise more activated USMCR are sent to a combat zone then regulars.
No there are about 100,000 Marines in the reserve. About 40K in the SMCR. When 9/11 first happened and especially when OIF began alot of activations came from members in the IRR that were in critical MOSs. Even now the Marine Corps still uses the IRR. To fill in gaps in the active force. I have a friend who just spent a couple months in San Jose with IRR. Matter of fact per your own link, of the 4075 Marines currently activated, aprox 35% came from the IRR or IMA. Leaving 2657 personnel from your 40K. Less than 10%.

Also each activation doesn't mean an individual, but an activation. SO if a unit has deployed multiple times, like MACS-24 out of VA beach, each time that unit deploys that's another activation. With 7 month deployments, that also means more frequents ones. Yeah, there were a whole lot of Marine reservists activated through the initial push to about 2005, but now, not so much. Matter fact this is the exact reason why the Corps grew to 202K, where it currently stands, from 175K+. Because it felt it was relying too much on certain reserve and certain individual units within the Corps that were deploying multiple times.

I'll admit, my comment about Marines reservists typically serve stateside is based on what I've seen anecdotally. I deal intimately with the reserve units in NC and have friends at various other units around the country. Since we are talking about NC, though, I believe what I said still applies. Using your own link, it shows that there are only 39 Marines currently activated from NC reserve units. I know for a fact that most of those are from ELMACO out of Greensboro and are filling in at Lejeune. I know that beyond that there are several from the Raleigh units that are on active orders working with the recruiting station out of Raleigh.

Listen, there is nothing I said incorrect in my previous post. A prior poster basically stated if you join the Marine Corps reserves you will deploy alot, and that is simply not true for the vast majority of reservists. I do know this for a fact as well, there are currently more people in the reserves trying to get activated than there are spots for them.

Also, what do you mean by winger? Also where do you get your data that percentage wise there are more reservists sent to combat zones than regulars. Which I would not be surprised if it was true, since the vast majority of Marines have actually never deployed. It's just the same ones/units going over and over.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy444 View Post

Also wanted to add, that per your link in NC there are over 1,500 AR/NG, 150 AFR/ANG, and 140 Naval Reserve activated compared to the 39 Marine Reservists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte