Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: buy a house, job market, cost of living, great schools, foundation inspection.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 20,230 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

It has been over 2 years since my wife and I have been speaking about moving to NC and we finally bought a house. The only thing I regret as of now is waiting so long. I currently live in Suffolk County, NY and the cost of living here is unmanagable. I have a 10 month old daughter and I know that this life style is not the way I want to bring my daughter up in. Society has made it impossible for new families like mine to survive in NY. We made our move, we went down there for 3 days and bought our dream home. They will start building and I will move in March of 07.

Maybe I can help others by telling you what I saw by going down there. My original concerns were the following:* Leaving Family and Friends(being alone)- while I was down there I was driving down the road in the new developement where I will be moving in 6-7months. My agent saw a guy whom he sold a house to 8 months ago, when I told him where I was from I couldn't believe his response. It turns out he used to live about 1 mile away from my town on Long Island, he started pointing to each neighbor and told me where each of them were from and out of 20 homes already built on his road 9 of them were from Suffolk County, NY. Everyone is in the same situation and you make friends so fast. Everyone is leaving there family and friends for a better life.

* Where will I find a job? - My 2 friends down there contacted a recruiter and immediately they both had 5-6 interviews a day. Within one week they both had 3 offers.

* Nice Houses but nothing to do there? - I couldn't believe how wrong I was, there are so many stores, malls, entertainment. Everything is so clean and new, all the stores are in brick buildings.

* Will I really save money, is everything cheaper? Everything in NY costs so much more then in NC, currently I pay $850 month for property taxes, the new house I bought in NC, the taxes are $1,500 for the whole year. Gas down there is $2.90 gallon compared to $3.40. You also are going to save money on your car insurance, electric bill, sales tax, cable TV and many others.

If you have been thinking about going down there, please ask me questions and please at least go look down there. You will not want to come back.

Thanks
Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 04:12 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,856,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookBack View Post
Dear All,

It has been over 2 years since my wife and I have been speaking about moving to NC and we finally bought a house. The only thing I regret as of now is waiting so long. I currently live in Suffolk County, NY and the cost of living here is unmanagable. I have a 10 month old daughter and I know that this life style is not the way I want to bring my daughter up in. Society has made it impossible for new families like mine to survive in NY. We made our move, we went down there for 3 days and bought our dream home. They will start building and I will move in March of 07.

Maybe I can help others by telling you what I saw by going down there. My original concerns were the following:* Leaving Family and Friends(being alone)- while I was down there I was driving down the road in the new developement where I will be moving in 6-7months. My agent saw a guy whom he sold a house to 8 months ago, when I told him where I was from I couldn't believe his response. It turns out he used to live about 1 mile away from my town on Long Island, he started pointing to each neighbor and told me where each of them were from and out of 20 homes already built on his road 9 of them were from Suffolk County, NY. Everyone is in the same situation and you make friends so fast. Everyone is leaving there family and friends for a better life.

* Where will I find a job? - My 2 friends down there contacted a recruiter and immediately they both had 5-6 interviews a day. Within one week they both had 3 offers.

* Nice Houses but nothing to do there? - I couldn't believe how wrong I was, there are so many stores, malls, entertainment. Everything is so clean and new, all the stores are in brick buildings.

* Will I really save money, is everything cheaper? Everything in NY costs so much more then in NC, currently I pay $850 month for property taxes, the new house I bought in NC, the taxes are $1,500 for the whole year. Gas down there is $2.90 gallon compared to $3.40. You also are going to save money on your car insurance, electric bill, sales tax, cable TV and many others.

If you have been thinking about going down there, please ask me questions and please at least go look down there. You will not want to come back.

Thanks
Gregg
That's what I wanted to hear!

Old 08-16-2006, 04:12 PM

21 posts, read 70,309 times
Quote:
Dear All,

Thanks
Gregg
I too am from Suffolk. North Babylon to be exact... Thanks for all the positive comparisons, Gregg, we need to see more posts like yours. We have been checking out NC for a year now and are taking the next step and coming down shortly to look at/possibly buy a new home. LI is so expensive like you said and I don't think the natives in NC realize how much cheaper it is from our prospective. Good luck and keep posting those positive experiences...PS. what part of NC are you moving to?

Old 08-16-2006, 04:20 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,908,624 times
greg - ck your pri mess - also where in NC are you moving too?

Old 08-16-2006, 04:27 PM

5 posts, read 20,230 times
The community I will be moving to is in Waxhaw, NC in Union County. I have done a lot of reasearch and one of my biggest concerns was finding the best school districts.

I don't know what the other counties look like but I can tell you is that compared to Lond Island, Union County is like paradise. I have a close friend that lives in West Babylon, he has a small 3br house with no property and his house was $450k with $9k a year taxes. He made over $125k last year and he is still struggling.

I have lived on Long Island my entire life and would have never thought for a second to ever leave and all it took for maybe the first 3 hours in NC that we knew we have been robbed for the last 5 years. The best thing was when we landed at LGA airport and we started driving home and you see garbage all over, dead grass, dirt and debris all over. In NC, you will see the greenest trees, the grounds are spotless, all the stores are beautiful brick buildings.

If you email me direct, I will send you photos of the area.

Thanks
Gregg

Old 08-16-2006, 04:41 PM

21 posts, read 70,309 times
Quote:
The community I will be moving to is in Waxhaw, NC in Union County. I have done a lot of reasearch and one of my biggest concerns was finding the best school districts.

I don't know what the other counties look like but I can tell you is that compared to Lond Island, Union County is like paradise. I have a close friend that lives in West Babylon, he has a small 3br house with no property and his house was $450k with $9k a year taxes. He made over $125k last year and he is still struggling.

I have lived on Long Island my entire life and would have never thought for a second to ever leave and all it took for maybe the first 3 hours in NC that we knew we have been robbed for the last 5 years. The best thing was when we landed at LGA airport and we started driving home and you see garbage all over, dead grass, dirt and debris all over. In NC, you will see the greenest trees, the grounds are spotless, all the stores are beautiful brick buildings.

If you email me direct, I will send you photos of the area.

Thanks
Gregg
Greeg, your original post made my wife cry. You addressed all her concerns and now she wants to get down there and start looking. Thanks again.

Jeff

Old 08-16-2006, 04:56 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,474,646 times
Quote:
Dear All,

Thanks
Gregg

That's great I'm happy for you guys, we will be on our way shortly too. I hope our experience will turn out as good as yours.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:18 PM

110 posts, read 394,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
That's what I wanted to hear!
Yeah, that is probably what you want to hear. There are as many people who have moved here that didnt like it though.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:23 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,856,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctarheel View Post
Yeah, that is probably what you want to hear. There are as many people who have moved here that didnt like it though.
I am an adult and can read between the lines. We joke and say look at the houses selling in our area. I wouldn't buy here again. So, I am sure there are those folks that say the same as I do when I buy their house...lol They have to be moving some where too. As long as I am happy. Done deal.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,599,447 times
I'm moving back to Upstate New York from Apex NC next June. The grass is always greener...... or is it? I have a question for you. You appear to be telling everyone in NY to move down to NC correct? So, lets pretend for a minute that everyone does...... then what? Then NC will be in the same boat as NY and it will be too expensive too! Ever heard of South Florida? Not too smart to tell everyone to move down here if you want it to stay even remotely the same as it is now (which it won't). Just a tip. Don't gloat to everyone about how you made it out of NY and are "living the life" in NC. If you do; they WILL come and NC will continue to get more and more expensive. lol. oh yeah, and if you don't think there are garbage ridden roadsides in NC you must not have driven down all of I-77!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte