Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 AM

5 posts, read 6,563 times

Advertisements

Hi All-

My family and I looking to relocate to the Charlotte area in 2011. We have two small children and will be coming from CT, right outisde of NYC. We are looking for neighborhoods with familes/children that have great ammenties and a little land (less than an acre). We are lucky to be able to afford homes in the $500-800K range and would love some suggestions from those who know the area better than us. In some preliminary searching, we have looked north in the Mooresville area and also Waxhaw/Mathews in the south. Certainly, goods chools are important but also would like conveniences of stores nearby.

Appreciate any thoughts that you have. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 AM

214 posts, read 399,858 times
Awesome! 500k-800k could pretty much get you about anything down here :-). I'm always sporting Baxter Village in Fort Mill, SC. Homes run from about $200k to about $400k. GREAT neighborhood to raise a family and arguably the best school district in the area! Fort Mill is about 15 miles south of uptown Charlotte and is right off the interstate for travelling convenience. Carolina Place Mall is about 8 miles away and South Park Mall is about 12 or 13 miles away. With traffic this would be about 12 minutes and 20 minute commutes, respectively. Plenty of restaurants in the FM area. Check it out. It's a great community!

www.villageofbaxter.com

Old 11-02-2010, 10:40 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,372,398 times
Will you be working? If so, where?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,372,398 times
JWP - please outline the route that gets your from Baxter Village to SouthPark in 20 minutes, in traffic? I'd love to know how to do that because it always takes me at least twice as long.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 6,563 times
Flexible. My wife would owrk from home and I would be up in the Maiden area a couple of times a week. So commute times aren't crazy important. Thanks for any help.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:51 AM

214 posts, read 399,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
JWP - please outline the route that gets your from Baxter Village to SouthPark in 20 minutes, in traffic? I'd love to know how to do that because it always takes me at least twice as long.

Take Hwy 160 to S. Tryon. Take S. Tryon north to Billy Graham Pkwy. Take left at Billy Graham and continue to I-85. Take I-85 south to Lavonia, Georgia where you will take Hwy 17 south to I-20 in Thomson, Ga. Take I-20 East to Columbia, SC. From I-20 take I-77 North through York County to Tyvola Road. Take a right on Tyvola Road and continue until you reach South Park Mall.

Or...you can just hop on I-77 north right out of Baxter, go 10 miles, and take Tyvola Road exit. That's how I usually go.

Seriously though...I probably need to say that rush hour traffic would not be a 20 minute commute. I actually shouldn't say traffic at all should I? With rush hour traffic it would definitely take about 30-40 minutes.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:57 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,685,441 times
There may be other neighborhoods that are a better fit for the "large yard" requirement. Baxter is very nice, but the homes do not tend to have large yards, at least in all the sections I've seen. Best of luck!

Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,739,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT29 View Post
Flexible. My wife would owrk from home and I would be up in the Maiden area a couple of times a week. So commute times aren't crazy important. Thanks for any help.
Maiden is between Gastonia & Hickory. Will you be working at the Apple server farm?

What's your preferred commute time?

Old 11-02-2010, 01:57 PM

701 posts, read 1,430,981 times
Just because you can afford to buy a home in the $500k to $800k range (pretty big for a "range" if you ask me) doesn't mean you should. $400K can get you a verrry nice house in this market, and also prevents you from sinking money into a house at a higher price point that you'll have a hard time selling for anything near what you paid for it. Do you really need a McMansion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT29 View Post
Hi All-

My family and I looking to relocate to the Charlotte area in 2011. We have two small children and will be coming from CT, right outisde of NYC. We are looking for neighborhoods with familes/children that have great ammenties and a little land (less than an acre). We are lucky to be able to afford homes in the $500-800K range and would love some suggestions from those who know the area better than us. In some preliminary searching, we have looked north in the Mooresville area and also Waxhaw/Mathews in the south. Certainly, goods chools are important but also would like conveniences of stores nearby.

Appreciate any thoughts that you have. Thanks.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM

513 posts, read 2,113,675 times
Marvin Creek in Union County has lots of homes in that range. Great amenities, lots of close to an acre. Great public schools, and good Blakeney shopping center right there. SouthPark Mall is about 15-20 minutes away. Brookhaven is another good option. Really there are so many communities around here that would work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte