Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 03:19 PM

368 posts, read 946,070 times

Advertisements

I'm aware of the well-known banking recruiters in the area, but none seem to have any entry-level positions to fill, specifically public finance positions with middle market/regional banks. I've had my BS in Finance since '08 and have a little over 2 years of sales and customer service experience.

Any suggestions or leads would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 04:23 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times
you probably will have to start with a temp agency who will place you in a temp position. From there, you can work to be hired.

you are competing against MBAs and people with many years of experience, sad to say. My son has 10 years of customer service experience and has not found a job in the last 2 years.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:42 AM

128 posts, read 272,317 times
I'd suggest what chicagocubs said by going with a temp agency. Most everyone I know that's gotten their start in the finance industry and didn't have a job right out of college through one of the banks' programs went through a temp agency to get their foot in the door.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:48 AM

Great info. Are there any particular agencies you would recommend? I've submitted my resume with Accountemps, but have yet to hear anything from them. I'm up for anything accounting-related as well, as I understand it is the easiest way to get your foot in the door and gain some valuable experience.

Also, for anyone who may be more familiar with the industry, going to UNCC for a Masters in Accounting increase my odds of getting my foot in the door working in an accounting or finance-related role? I didn't do much networking during undergrad, which is probably partly why I havent found a job in the industry. Thanks.

Last edited by BBSLM; 10-28-2010 at 11:09 AM..

Old 10-28-2010, 06:38 PM

I'd send my resume to as many temp agencies as there are out there. And, send them again & again. I am in the finance industry and the "word on the street" is that mortgage positions are going to really ramp up in the next year or so. We are already seeing that now.

Not sure about accounting positions. However, for most higher-end positions, a minimum of a masters degree is recommended.

Also try energy companies, etc...you have to continually send in that resume (over & over again) and follow up with phone calls. You have to be very aggressive.

You probably won't get paid anything what you think you are worth; the pay scales for inexperienced people have been tumbling. People with experience are demanding more money, so, the money has to come from somewhere.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:48 PM

Thanks, I will definitely take all of that into consideration. Any idea which mortgage positions specifically should pursue?

I ultimately want to get an MBA and/or CPA, but I want to get some experience first to get the most out of it (it's necessary for the CPA anyway.), it's just so frustrating to be essentially stuck; unable to get any experience without already having experience.

As for salary, I'm willing pay my due doing whatever grunt work I can to prove myself and advance from there.

Thanks again.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
Thanks, I will definitely take all of that into consideration. Any idea which mortgage positions specifically should pursue?

I ultimately want to get an MBA and/or CPA, but I want to get some experience first to get the most out of it (it's necessary for the CPA anyway.), it's just so frustrating to be essentially stuck; unable to get any experience without already having experience.

As for salary, I'm willing pay my due doing whatever grunt work I can to prove myself and advance from there.

Thanks again.
Without experience, you will start out in entry-level mortgage work, usually processing. That means that you are basically the liaison between sales and underwriting. OR, you could try for sales assistant which is the liaison between sales and the client. Learn well and fast, and you might be able to ride that mortgage train. NC (Charlotte) is the top city for mortgage processing centers. Zenta comes to mind, they are a huge wholesale mortgage processing center that is hiring like mad. Don't know what their requirements are...you'll need to check it out.

Again, all temp agencies, just keep on trying. I know that it is frustrating. But, patience is the greatest reward.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Without experience, you will start out in entry-level mortgage work, usually processing. That means that you are basically the liaison between sales and underwriting. OR, you could try for sales assistant which is the liaison between sales and the client. Learn well and fast, and you might be able to ride that mortgage train. NC (Charlotte) is the top city for mortgage processing centers. Zenta comes to mind, they are a huge wholesale mortgage processing center that is hiring like mad. Don't know what their requirements are...you'll need to check it out.

Again, all temp agencies, just keep on trying. I know that it is frustrating. But, patience is the greatest reward.
Thanks for the great lead, it's very much appreciated.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 PM

461 posts, read 985,515 times
If you go the mortgage route, be prepared to be used, abused, and spit out. It's the nature of the business.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanigan911 View Post
If you go the mortgage route, be prepared to be used, abused, and spit out. It's the nature of the business.
It sounds like you are speaking from experience....?

A former coworker of mine is now in the mortgage industry and is enjoying it. Although Im not exactly sure what his specific role is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: