Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM

10 posts, read 32,250 times

Advertisements

Hello - just got back from visiting friends in Raleigh this past weekand and had a great time with our dogs on some unmarked trails that lead to a small lake. We were able to let the dogs off the leash and let them run around the trails as we hiked in and out (and go for a dip when they got hot).

My wife and I were talking about it and thought that we really didn't know of any places like this in the Charlotte area where we live. Would anyone know of any cool spots to walk some trails that are not overly crowded with people so that we could let our dog off leash? He had such a great time and stays close but really enjoys the freedom to go off the path and investigate all those smells, so it would be really nice to find a spot that we could take him more often.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Been to Latta Planation a couple times which is great for swimming, however w/ the horses and all I'm a bit worried to let Trooper off leash, ha! Thanks!!

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
"Off-leash" trails to take my dog in Charlotte (surrounding areas)-trooper.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 04:02 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheridan12 View Post
Hello - just got back from visiting friends in Raleigh this past weekand and had a great time with our dogs on some unmarked trails that lead to a small lake. We were able to let the dogs off the leash and let them run around the trails as we hiked in and out (and go for a dip when they got hot).

My wife and I were talking about it and thought that we really didn't know of any places like this in the Charlotte area where we live. Would anyone know of any cool spots to walk some trails that are not overly crowded with people so that we could let our dog off leash? He had such a great time and stays close but really enjoys the freedom to go off the path and investigate all those smells, so it would be really nice to find a spot that we could take him more often.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Been to Latta Planation a couple times which is great for swimming, however w/ the horses and all I'm a bit worried to let Trooper off leash, ha! Thanks!!

Matt
You could check about the Kings Mountain Gateway Trail. Click on Contact us & email your question. Kings Mountain Gateway Trails > Home When you click on About the trail, there are illustrations in the lower right & one clearly shows a dog on a leash.

There are a couple of lakes involved, but I don't know if they are involved with the portion that's currently open.

There used to be pictures on the website, but I don't see them anymore. They are on Facebook, so you can check there, to see if you want to bother. Welcome to Facebook

Old 10-19-2010, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,236 times
Keep in mind that North Carolina has a statewide leash law. There are several dog parks where you dog can play off leash. I believe the fine for a dog off leash is at least $125.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:01 AM

905 posts, read 3,454,908 times
Dogs off leash in Charlotte is a big no-no. That being said, we take our dogs to Reedy Creek and let run free on the trails behind the Nature Center. We have been doing it for years and never had an issue or a ticket. Just be smart about it. Go during off peak times and keep the dogs close by. That way "if" you happen to see or meet up with someone just put the leash on them. There is also a dog park at Reedy if you have a pass.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Dogs off leash in Charlotte is a big no-no. That being said, we take our dogs to Reedy Creek and let run free on the trails behind the Nature Center. We have been doing it for years and never had an issue or a ticket. Just be smart about it. Go during off peak times and keep the dogs close by. That way "if" you happen to see or meet up with someone just put the leash on them. There is also a dog park at Reedy if you have a pass.
from the Reedy Creek Park Website (http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/parkandrec/insidethedepartment/divisions/stewardshipservices/naturepreserves/pages/reedy.aspx): (broken link)
"...Dogs are welcome on preserve trails, but must remain on a 6-foot or shorter leash at all times. ..."

Also, I believe all the dogparks in Charlotte no longer require a pass.
Park and Rec Dog Parks (http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Parks/DogParks/Pages/Home.aspx - broken link)

Old 10-20-2010, 04:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themosquito View Post
Keep in mind that North Carolina has a statewide leash law. There are several dog parks where you dog can play off leash. I believe the fine for a dog off leash is at least $125.
Not statewide, but by city, county, or village.

For example, Union County NC does not have a leash law and does not enforce any off leash issues unless the dog is aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte