Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,598 times

Advertisements

Hello! I will be relocating to Charlotte for work from Chicago, and I will be working out of my home, so I have no constraints on where I need to live. I'm 31, single female and looking to rent initally and then hopefully purchase. I would like to live somewhere where I can walk to shops and resturaunts, as well as different activities. I want to get involved since I won't know many people and will probably need some socilization as my job will limit that. I am looking into Elizabeth and Dilworth as potential places to call home. I would like the ability to go for a run and feel safe as well as have the ability to easily get around town. My rent budget is around $1500. If anyone has any recommendations for places to live or condo,townhomes they are interested in renting, please let me know.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnct View Post
Hello! I will be relocating to Charlotte for work from Chicago, and I will be working out of my home, so I have no constraints on where I need to live. I'm 31, single female and looking to rent initally and then hopefully purchase. I would like to live somewhere where I can walk to shops and resturaunts, as well as different activities. I want to get involved since I won't know many people and will probably need some socilization as my job will limit that. I am looking into Elizabeth and Dilworth as potential places to call home. I would like the ability to go for a run and feel safe as well as have the ability to easily get around town. My rent budget is around $1500. If anyone has any recommendations for places to live or condo,townhomes they are interested in renting, please let me know.

Thank you!!!

Welcome to Charlotte Lynn

In addition to Elizabeth and Dilworth you should check out the South Park area.

There are nice apts there that are close enough to walk to everything you need. This would include one of the best grocery stores in Charlotte, restaurants, book stores, movies and of course, the mall itself. Elizabeth is great but there is less to walk to than Dilworth and South Park. Your rent budget is very generous, you'll find what you are looking for I'm sure. I'd start by checking out Sterling Morrison and Ashley Square at SouthPark - two of my faves in the upper price ranges

Old 08-08-2010, 02:19 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Quite honestly, if you are also looking for activities, you might also consider downtown Charlotte (sometimes called uptown). Although Dilworth is probably as close to a Chicago neighbourhood as we have here, not sure there is a lot of "activity" going on other than bike riding or park -outdoorsy- type activities.Same goes for South Park. Our public transportation system is somewhat abysmal other than in the downtown area where you have access to the light rail to go elsewhere.

Welcome to Charlotte! There are quite a few Chicagoans here now so you won't feel completely alone!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:37 AM

98 posts, read 341,996 times
I love the Dilworth neighborhood but there isn't a ton to walk to like you'll find in some of the Chicagoland areas (ie: Evanston, etc) but it's about as close as you'll get because it still feels residential. If you're looking for activities and more "city" living I'd recommend Uptown.

I also moved out here from the midwest for work by myself without knowing the area. This board was a GREAT help during my transition...good luck and feel free to message me about specific rentals if you need help.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:45 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,933 times
Wanted to welcome you to Charlotte and good luck on your upcoming move. Been out of the single scene for a while so I can't recommend areas, but in general I think you will love Charlotte

We moved from Gurnee over a year ago this summer. There are many restaurants, activities, clubs similar to Chicago, but everything is in a smaller square foot area. I work from home too, and it makes for a shorter work day . You will NOT miss the winters!

Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM

46 posts, read 240,294 times
i think you've pinpointed two good neighborhoods. if you want to be near shops/restaurants in Dilworth, i would look for housing along East Blvd between Park Rd & South Blvd, that will give you easy access to all the Dilworth/SouthEnd neighborhood have to offer. if you can get closer to South Blvd, that may be beneficial in terms of using the light rail to get Uptown ...

Elizabeth is a great area w/ a few good laid back bars (Philosopher's Stone, Jackelope Jack's, Ed's Tavern). You won't find a "club" atmosphere, but if you want a casual spot with good food & drinks all three of those would be right up your alley ...

some other neighborhood i think could work would be:

South Park (big 'hood, for activities you're looking for, i would stay near the Park & Woodlawn intersection & the Montford Ct strip)

NoDa (arts district in Charlotte, if you like galleries & live music this is your place. 3 good music venues in walking distance. neighborhood is safe, but a bit more "urban" than Dilworth or Elizabeth)

Plaza-Midwood (again, a bit more of an "urban" feel, but safe and would meet all of your needs. probably the "coolest" 'hood in CLT, a good 20 or so restaurants/bars i'd say w/in walking distance)

basically, i think you're good with Dilworth/Elizabeth, and if you're looking for a bit more "action" i'd check out some of these other 'hoods

Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,598 times
Thank you all so much for the advice, I really appreciate it! I will absolutely use this message board as I transition.... My head is spinning quite fast as I will be moving down to CLT the last week of Septeber with no time to for a househunting trip before hand!!! So, again, I am really grateful for all the wonderful recommendations....I already have a very good feeling about this next adventure!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 AM

308 posts, read 618,018 times
There are some excellent neighbourhoods in Charlotte and I am speaking as a Londoner. If I were in your situation, I would look at Dilworth, Southend, Gateway, Myers Park, Elizabeth, Lake Norman villages. They have lots of ammenities and parks for biking, etc. I enjoy Southpark, but you might find it a bit snooby and boring. You also might consider Plaza/Midwood or even Ballyntyne. There are lots of options and great communities. I don't think that you need anyone to tell you that this isn't Chicago as you already know that it isn't. I am sure that if you wanted Chicago, you would have stayed there. LOL! Good luck and keep researching. Lots of promise here. Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte