Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,851 times

Advertisements

Appt. today to have Kola Construction inspect roof for hail damage..they say they will handle insurance claim and it will only cost me deductible for new roof..Has anyone dealt with this company in Charlotte N.C. and was it a happy ending?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 12:21 PM

870 posts, read 3,530,488 times
There are about 5 companies in Charlotte right now doing the same thing. They come out, inspect your roof and report to your insurance company that on a particular day (I forget which one they are using but there was a storm in Charlotte on that day) your roof suffered damage. Most insurance companies do not have the resources to inspect so they pay the claim. You pay the deductable only.

Now, a few insurance companies are hiring inspectors to go out and verify the claim. Some are turning them down.

This is a major hit on your insurance. They will either drop you, raise your rates or count this against you and the next claim you make will cause them to drop you.

IT IS INSURANCE FRAUD!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 PM

777 posts, read 2,569,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
There are about 5 companies in Charlotte right now doing the same thing. They come out, inspect your roof and report to your insurance company that on a particular day (I forget which one they are using but there was a storm in Charlotte on that day) your roof suffered damage. Most insurance companies do not have the resources to inspect so they pay the claim. You pay the deductable only.

Now, a few insurance companies are hiring inspectors to go out and verify the claim. Some are turning them down.

This is a major hit on your insurance. They will either drop you, raise your rates or count this against you and the next claim you make will cause them to drop you.

IT IS INSURANCE FRAUD!
It isn't fraud if you have hail damage.

And no, it isn't a "major hit" on your insurance unless you have other claims on your property (this is considered "act of god").

Yes it does count as a claim whether they pay out or not. No, insurance does not normally raise thier rates for one comprehensive claim (now if you have already made mulitple claims, that is another story). No, they won't drop you for one comprehensive claim (now if you have already made mulitple claims, that is another story).

I know for a fact that State Farm does indeed come out and inspect your roof.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 PM

564 posts, read 1,455,462 times
How can you claim it is insurance fraud? Believe it or not there is honest people out there who will flat out tell people they do not have hail damage. Hail can severely damage a roof. I am not sure what insurance companies you are speaking of. But all the companies that my Fathers remodeling company have dealt with for 30+ years send someone out on every roof. I would beware of the companies that come from out of town and leave brochures the day after a storm. Try getting them back to warranty/repair anything.

The fraud comes from crazy homeowners who take a Ball ping hammer up on the roof and then call the Insurance Company claiming hail. Insurance companies have even called my father and asked him to send someone with them for a week to inspect certain areas of the town. If roofs get replaced that do not have hail damage it is the insurance companies own fault for not checking.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:26 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,371,012 times
It seems like half the people on my street seem to be getting new rooves. The company is called Titan and they must be making a small fortune.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 PM

300 posts, read 764,107 times
Smile State Farm

yea, State Farm denied my hail damage roof. all the rest of the homes in my cul-a-sac - 5 homes got new roofs . I was thinking of getting a second opinion from one of the roofing companies that handle the claim. But I was unsure about too.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:51 PM

8,636 posts, read 9,150,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennise View Post
yea, State Farm denied my hail damage roof. all the rest of the homes in my cul-a-sac - 5 homes got new roofs . I was thinking of getting a second opinion from one of the roofing companies that handle the claim. But I was unsure about too.
Get it re-inspected, you've got nothing to lose. My town got hammered by a hailstorm and all kinds of activity took place. To months later I decided to have my house inspected. $19,000 in damage. Roof, gutters and siding was replaced. It did not effect my rates or my standing with the insurance company. Because there was damage that I couldn't really see until it was pointed out to me. Not all of homes were repaired but most were.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:04 PM

595 posts, read 1,623,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don paddock View Post
Appt. today to have Kola Construction inspect roof for hail damage..they say they will handle insurance claim and it will only cost me deductible for new roof..Has anyone dealt with this company in Charlotte N.C. and was it a happy ending?
The companies I talked with would also pay the deductible if we went with them. So it would cost nothing out of pocket to get a new roof.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,810,259 times
KOLA have done half a dozen homes in our street due to legitimate hail damage......all look like professional jobs with no complaints. In every case the insurance companies sent an inspector out, contrary to what a poster said.

Apparently there is a backlog on getting inspectors out due to the scope of damage around town (I can't imagine what it was like for cities hit with a hurricane), but the insurance companies certainly aren't waiving the inspection part of the process.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:59 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,218,415 times
I wouldn't do business with a roofing company that wanted me to file a hail damage claim or one that even brought up such a thing. IMO, this means they are shady operators and this means a roof where they cut corners and you won't find out until the shingles start to slide off a couple of years later. Or you find out they used nailed headers on the roof where they shouldn't have and you have rotted roof decking. Or they didn't flash it, or they used nail guns and broke the singles and they won't hold. Or they forgot things like proper venting. All of this won't show up for several years later after they are long gone.

A badly built roof can cause some very expensive damage to a house and endless headaches over the years. You want a reputable roofer for this job because it's not easy to check the quality of the work otherwise, and in my book, these kinds of roofers are no reputable.

Last edited by lumbollo; 07-23-2010 at 04:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte