Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:30 AM

249 posts, read 499,985 times

Advertisements

Man robbed at Lynx station Friday night - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/18/1569318/man-robbed-at-lynx-station-friday.html?mi_pluck_action=comment_submitted&qwxq =9800460#Comments_Container - broken link)
Man robbed at Lynx station Friday night

By Brooke Sutherland
bsutherland@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Sunday, Jul. 18, 2010

A man was robbed at knifepoint at the I-485/South Boulevard Lynx light-rail station Friday evening, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police.
The incident occurred about 8:30 p.m. The robber hit the victim, took his wallet and fled on foot.
Video cameras at the station caught the robber running away, said CATS spokeswoman Krystel Green.
Police said two suspects were found in the bathroom of the Target store in the nearby Carolina Pavilion Shopping Center. Both were taken into custody, but officers did not release their names.
A police officer had patrolled the area where the robbery occurred only 15 minutes earlier, Green said.
In May, police suspected a man used the light rail to get away after two robberies along the Lynx line, though authorities later said the man never got on the train.
Those robberies happened about 11 p.m. on a Friday in late May, police said. An employee at the Greek Isles restaurant on East Bland Street leaving work and a man walking out of Sullivan's steakhouse were both robbed at gunpoint within minutes of each other.
Green said the company would work to continue making sure law enforcement officials were visible.
There are nine CATS officers and four CMPD officers stationed along the light-rail line, she said.
"We want to remind people to continue to be aware of surroundings ... and to stay in well-lit areas, just like you would anywhere else," Green said.

Just another fine example of why legally licensed riders should be allowed to carry in order to protect themselves. Hopefully CATS will someday follow other public transportation systems that allow this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 11:51 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,456,869 times
The robbery was in the parking garage. Man Robbed Near LYNX Light-Rail In Charlotte I'm glad the guys were caught.

Quote:
Banks followed the man, and watched him walk into a Target store across the street on South Boulevard. Robbery detectives said they found Avis Williams hiding in the store's bathroom. He was arrested for armed robbery, and his friend, Omar Lamont, was arrested for possession of stolen property.
Quote:
Banks said he won’t let the crime change the way he gets to work. “I'm not going to change my habits just because of this. Crime exists in the city. I just happened to be the victim this time,” he said.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,868,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
The robbery was in the parking garage. Man Robbed Near LYNX Light-Rail In Charlotte I'm glad the guys were caught.
It takes a big set of brass cajones to follow someone who has just robbed you, and who you know is armed. Kudos to Mr Banks for not allowing himself to be a victim. The police cannot always protect us from crime- it is incumbent upon us to not allow ourselves to be victimized.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,553,714 times
Can't wait to see what happens when the expansion to the University area is completed.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Can't wait to see what happens when the expansion to the University area is completed.
You will be waiting for a long time to see that . . .

Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
I think it is interesting that the suspects ran over to Carolina Pavillion Shopping Center. We had a thread on LYNX earlier and everyone seemed to get upset at the suggestion that LYNX brought criminal elements into the shopping areas along the route of the line.

Of course, I realize this is "just one incident."

Old 07-20-2010, 08:08 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,034,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think it is interesting that the suspects ran over to Carolina Pavillion Shopping Center. We had a thread on LYNX earlier and everyone seemed to get upset at the suggestion that LYNX brought criminal elements into the shopping areas along the route of the line.

Of course, I realize this is "just one incident."
I remember that thread Ani... Several people were so adamant it stands out in my memory. I agree that anecdotal evidence isn't an end all be all, but this certainly shows how crime can be brought over there from LYNX.

As someone who argued vehemently against carrying on public transportation in earlier threads we had on this subject, I can see here how skells would specifically target an area they know people can't carry.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:22 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,024,711 times
Again, this wasn't ON the Lynx. It was IN the parking garage. Parking garages have always been great places to rob somebody.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,034,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Again, this wasn't ON the Lynx. It was IN the parking garage. Parking garages have always been great places to rob somebody.
Relevant to my comment... Since you can't carry on the LYNX, these skells know people will be coming to their cars unarmed.

IF you were allowed to carry ON the LYNX, then you'd be carrying as you got off the LYNX returning to your car.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:37 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,024,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Relevant to my comment... Since you can't carry on the LYNX, these skells know people will be coming to their cars unarmed.

IF you were allowed to carry ON the LYNX, then you'd be carrying as you got off the LYNX returning to your car.
Sure. But relevant to your comment, any parking garage is a hotspot for robberies, regardless of whether or not you're allowed to carry in the immediate area. There are robberies in other garages daily that are not reported like this. And this is one robbery out of how many people coming to their cars? I don't think this says anything about concealed carry or some automatic negative effect from the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte