Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM

841 posts, read 2,479,554 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be turning 12 tomorrow, but unfortunately every single one of her friends - except for 1 - is away for the summer. So she will be having a very small bday party with just 1 friend. I am thinking about things to do with them this Saturday...I am taking them to see the new Twilight Eclipse movie, but I want to do something else. I am thinking either Purple Planet or Adventure Landing in Gastonia, but I've never been to either one. Has anyone visited any of these 2 places? Which one do you think a 12 y/o would enjoy more? Also, I am open to any other suggestions as to things to do in the Charlotte/Gastonia area for 12 y/o?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 PM

443 posts, read 1,260,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
My daughter will be turning 12 tomorrow, but unfortunately every single one of her friends - except for 1 - is away for the summer. So she will be having a very small bday party with just 1 friend. I am thinking about things to do with them this Saturday...I am taking them to see the new Twilight Eclipse movie, but I want to do something else. I am thinking either Purple Planet or Adventure Landing in Gastonia, but I've never been to either one. Has anyone visited any of these 2 places? Which one do you think a 12 y/o would enjoy more? Also, I am open to any other suggestions as to things to do in the Charlotte/Gastonia area for 12 y/o?
--White water rafting at White Water center (W. Charlotte near Belmont) would be fun. It is expensive, and thus a party you might prefer to do with just two girls rather than a group. They can also do the zip line, rock climb, etc. Bring a change of clothes and they could change and eat there.
--You could do to Dish it Out and let them make and/or paint pottery pieces.
--Horseback Riding at Latta Plantation is fun and they are old enough to go on the trail tour.
--Great Wolf Lodge (concord). It appears to be for little kids by my middle schoolers LOVED it when we went last month. THey had a ball in the water park and arcade.

I would opt, above all for Great Wolf Lodge. Make a day of it and do the indoor water park (get there when it open, before it is too crowded), then the pre-teen spa for a manicure (for fun) then lunch. With just 2, this would be a doable and fun thing. My second choice would be the white water center. The other things you can do anytime with a large group. White water and great wolf are so expensive that they are perfect for this occassion with just 2 girls.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestions - they all sound great! I looked up the Whitewater Center website and it definitely looks like something she would love to do. I also thought about Great Wolf Lodge - we have done this before and they (her and her sister) loved it so this sounds like a great idea also - especially since my job offers us a 20% discount there. Thanks for giving me something to work with!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:56 PM

930 posts, read 2,164,923 times
I thought only registered guests could use the facilities at the Great Wolf Lodge? If this is not true, where do I go to get information?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,374,870 times
I was thinking the same thing about registered guests.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Yes, I believe you do have to be a guest at the hotel to use the waterpark...since I have such a small crowd, it's do-able.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:40 PM

443 posts, read 1,260,822 times
When we went in May, we were told that you can buy a day pass for the water park alone. We were there for the night, but this was mentioned by a worker in a returant. Maybe she was misinformed?
Also, the spa (which has a fun, kind of tacky, kids section and a full adult spa) is open to the public for sure.
If you do have to be a guest, and since your daughter has been there, I would opt for the White Water center instead. That place is a world of fun too.

Edit to Add: As I look at the website, I think you DO have to book a room, but then get water park access for 2 days (you can come early and use it well before check in and stay for the day after you check out). Still, I would do WWC vs. Great Wolf as the rooms are costly!

Last edited by taben; 06-28-2010 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 02:21 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,374,870 times
Be prepraed to drop a small fortune at the WWC.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:35 PM

445 posts, read 1,168,765 times
How about going for a manicure and pedicure followed by a trip to an ice cream or milkshake place. That's always a fun girly thing to do.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:54 PM

537 posts, read 1,770,683 times
Have you ever tried a Japanese Steakhouse (the kind with the Hibachi grill where they cook right in front of you?) This was my son's FAVORITE place to go for his birthday. Often, when the group of birthday guests was small, we were able to do this and they had a blast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte