Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 AM

870 posts, read 3,528,247 times

Advertisements

The best 2 days of a boat owners life -
the day you buy it
the day you sell it

Pool is more work than just digging the hole and filling it with water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:27 AM

622 posts, read 1,782,498 times
I have been an avid boater for most of my life, but it is not for everyone. Here is a link to a boat club on Lake Wylie that will allow you to experience boating without purchasing one.

Welcome to Carolina Boat Club! - www.Carolinaboatclub.com

It will give you time to decide whether you would enjoy owning a boat or a pool.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:43 AM

22,327 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Find some friends who own a boat..Your life will be easier and cheaper....
There's already a community pool..Maybe a hot tub and a camper..Take the kids to visit some great national parks our country has to offer..I guarantee they'll remember that over a day at the pool..

Old 06-20-2010, 10:50 AM

539 posts, read 1,498,289 times
Put it in the Bank.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I think I would buy something esle as well. A boat will be something you will have to continue to poor money into for various reasons. A pool in not a one time deal either though. Someone once told me it cost around $500 a month to keep a pool up. I think it will make your home owners go up as well.

There has to be something else you could spend your money on unless you are dead set to get one or the other. If you make me choose, then I would say a boat since you have a community pool.

I like the idea of a few nice vactions.
Nice pun with "poor". It was a pun, wasn't it?

I agree with many of the posters here. I haven't owned a boat but I have friends that do. Without exception they didn't realize how much of an event going boating is unless you can just walk down the dock and hop in. Except for the one who bought his last year, there does seem to always be some expense beyond what you see with a used car.

Haven't owned a pool either, but the idea that having a community pool greatly lessens the appeal of owning your own pool seems to make sense. And I too have heard that it may well lower your property value, and will certainly narrow the buyer pool (pun intended) when it comes time to sell. Safety is a concern as well, too many tragic stories.

I'd buy a sports car. OK, not family oriented, but they could ride along, albeit one at a time, right?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:17 PM

364 posts, read 1,167,921 times
I grew up with a boat and a pool. Now I have my own home and won't purchase either! The boat is a lot of work, maintenance, up keep, more costs, etc. Yes it is nice when you get on the water, but for me it's not worth the headache or the costs. The pool is the same: cleaning it, taking care of it, more costs every year. I'd rather join a pool or use the community one for free without all the hassle. I agree with everyone else- use the money for something else! :-) Although, I'd love a hot tub!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:19 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,919 times
We have a pool. When our 3 kids were very young, it was GREAT. It was the full summer entertainment for them and friends. We rarely if ever heard 'I'm bored'. The boys especially would swim for hours. I also love water, so I enjoyed it too. My husband, who does most of the upkeep, is not as found of it!
Having said that, after having one for 9 years and with kids now old enough to bike and hang out at a nearby pool, it is a bit of a hassle and cost.

Never have owned a boat. Some friends did and sold it within 2 years. They bought a canoe and said that was MUCH better (cheap, no maintenance and good exercise!).

Good luck with your choice.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:24 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,360,370 times
I agree with the pool in the yard if you have a community pool. With small kids any houses with pools were automatically discarded by us.

Why waste time on the upkeep of a pool if you have a "free" one nearby?

Also my father-in-law had several boats during his life. He always said the two happiest times in a boater's life is when you get your boat and when you sell your boat.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 PM

509 posts, read 1,803,066 times
I vote boat! But I've been a boater my whole life and am currently in the market, and I've got a pretty good grasp on the maintenance, etc. involved.

You couldn't pay me to have a pool in my backyard.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,833,772 times
The biggest question you should ask is which would you realistically use. I had a cabin cruiser and as much as I wanted to take it out during the week, I had to have someone else to help when docking if it was windy (single engine). It just sat there in the slip not getting used. Just getting the wife and/or friends together to get out got to be too much of a pain. I got lucky and got it out of the water before the drought and sold it before the economy tanked (I've actually profited on boats. Rare, I know).

I've now got jetskis. One for me, one for the wife. Hers is a 3-seater and mine is a 2-seater. I can ride solo, don't have to worry about needing help on windy days, etc. The only downside is its just as expensive to run as a boat. That and you'll get beat to death if the water is rough.

Chose wisely. Refunds are hard to get on pools or boats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte